Encrypted NES roms?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Ben Boldt

Re: Encrypted NES roms?

Post by Ben Boldt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Wow, I didn't know about any of that. It is kind of neat to see this stuff is still being developed and with enough interest to try to protect it like that.

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:05 pm

I looked at the supposed Pandora website (in Canada) and they insist that you're only buying the hardware and must add your own ROMs. They want to have it both ways, what a crock. :roll: Of course the thing is on AliExpress too for a fraction of their listed price, and almost surely it comes with the ROMs.

Another emulator that uses encryption was the RetroFreak console. What's funny there is IIRC, the thing can apply IPS patches to ROMs, so people figured out to run other ROMs on it, you just make it an IPS patch, haha.

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Memblers wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:05 pm
Another emulator that uses encryption was the RetroFreak console. What's funny there is IIRC, the thing can apply IPS patches to ROMs, so people figured out to run other ROMs on it, you just make it an IPS patch, haha.
LOL :lol:

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Ben Boldt wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:32 pm
What if you open one of the strange ROMs with yy-chr and scroll all the way through to the end -- do any graphics appear at all or is it pure garbage?
There's no uncompressed CHR. The data has no discernible pattern and looks very randomly distributed at first glance, but I am not really curious enough to throw stronger analysis techniques that them. (There's a much better way to approach cracking them, as I mentioned above.)

tepples

Post by tepples » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Memblers wrote:
I looked at the supposed Pandora website (in Canada) and they insist that you're only buying the hardware and must add your own ROMs. They want to have it both ways, what a crock.
Would it be worthwhile to approach the maintainer of the website asking how the publisher of an NES game can add a ROM?

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:18 pm

tepples wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:52 pm
Memblers wrote:
I looked at the supposed Pandora website (in Canada) and they insist that you're only buying the hardware and must add your own ROMs. They want to have it both ways, what a crock.
Would it be worthwhile to approach the maintainer of the website asking how the publisher of an NES game can add a ROM?
Great idea, definitely couldn't hurt.

Thanks for looking at the ROM in yy-CHR rainwarrior. We have someone here who probably just spent a fair bit of money on this thing, I am sure they appreciate any help like that we can give. Hopefully that platform stays expensive and doesn't propagate... It is good to not feel compelled to crack it I guess.

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 pm

tepples wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:52 pm
Memblers wrote:
Just Googling it a little bit looks like a tangled mess, it seems there are "real" Pandora boxes and "fake" ones (probably the cheaper ones I saw on AliExpress), and multiple hardware models of each. Googling also had a lot of autocomplete search terms for pandora box add games, add roms, etc. and there are a bunch of tutorials about adding arcade games to MAME on it. Somebody wrote a guide on using the IMBNES emulator for Playstation and using that (but said you can't use game saves). So I have no idea why the NES stuff would be encrypted.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:44 am

Complicating this is the existence of a handheld gaming computer called "Pandora" by OpenPandora, an older attempt at crowdfunding an open platform.

Quietust

Post by Quietust » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:30 am

NewRisingSun wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 pm
Edit: In the early 2000s, a Chinese NES emulator named SMYNES entered the scene, and in addition to normal .NES-format files, it also supported encrypted game files, used for then-new dumps of Chinese games. Its author used that encryption as a means to get Chinese users to pay for the emulator.
There was a bit more to it than that - the encrypted game files were also .NES-format files, claiming to have mapper numbers above 255 (by using some already-defined header bits), for the presumed reason of tricking people into thinking that that particular emulator was better because it could emulate those games (or that others were worse because they couldn't).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

y0ush4

Post by y0ush4 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 pm

@all

I want to tell this one is the Latest Pandora Box with (105) 3D games ..that’s a lot and what I noticed is ..not only NES every rom which is present in this file system is encrypted even PS iso are ..so no replacement is possible you have to use the same which is there ...no addition or editing is possible and copying the ROMs from it is also blocked because no emu will see it as a normal rom

There is a popular blogger Zerojay he found a way to play NES games in Pandora by converting them to .Bin & .Cue
But that was old pandora box till version 5

But this is really new and better emulation faster and no graphic glitches in 3D emulation but everything is kinda locked

I just want to apply cheats and add new NES ROMs :(

If anyone interested I can upload whole SdCard image (32gb) let me know

And I want to know if. Someone have any idea how to dump the actual board image or anyother way to know about the emulators used ..versions etc ??

here is the preview
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Based on the string block:

08 5F 43 4F 4E 53 4F 4C 45
ASCII "..CONSOLE"

It looks like the encryption used is eCryptfs, based on this Google hit:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/631638/ ... -encrypted

Should be pretty solid seeing as eCryptfs comes as part of linux. I suspect that we would need to approach this by figuring out the password somehow.

Interesting though, why wouldn't Linux accept an unencrypted file dropped in? The issue getting custom ROMs into the box may be more about adding the .MP4 file, empty mc-cfg folder, and whatever else it is looking for. Try replacing an encrypted ROM with a different ROM with the exact same filename and see if the console can play it.

y0ush4

Post by y0ush4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:38 am

Already tried many tricks I put the ROMs with a same name as MP4 With that similar cfg folder but when I try to play it it just open get back to main menu without any error
And
If we know the encryption is ecryptFs than can we try to encrypt our own rom than try to play it??

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I believe that you will need the linux user account password from the device. Do you have access to the boot drive? If so, maybe there is a way to crack it.

y0ush4

Post by y0ush4 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am

Ben Boldt wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm
I believe that you will need the linux user account password from the device. Do you have access to the boot drive? If so, maybe there is a way to crack it.

In the 2nd screenshot above there is a file called

Key.9e8xxxxxxx is that a thing we need??

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

I don't know y0ush4. I think to proceed, you want to find a linux security forum and ask around there. We are really specialized in the 8-bit stuff here, and for this issue you need some help from some linux gurus. We definitely want to know anything you find. Seeing as you own this device and have complete physical access to it, there must be a way in.