It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

You can compare the cartridges to load ROM images you have programmed in a computer, for testing purposes, or for running backup/homebrew games without having to make a new cartridge. You can compare what features you find most useful, number of pins, number of included features, etc.

The features I would find useful are:
  • 60-pins cartridge (it might be nice to offer both versions, although the things listed below might not work if you have NES and cannot use a keyboard; therefore the 72-pins version would have to be different)
  • CF cards
  • The file format doesn't matter too much, as long as it is fully documented
  • Made of open source software, and open source (or fully documented) hardware
  • Built-in ROM of Forth or BASIC interpreter or whatever, to use with Famicom keyboard (and the built-in commands in the ROM may be used to load files from CF card) (possibly it might also help if you push START button it will load BOOT.ROM from a CF card, such as in case you don't have the keyboard)
  • Charge switch (probably a physical switch), which when turned on, means you can load a program, turn off the console, turn back on the console in a few seconds and then it will start immediately (from the copy in RAM, which is charged while turned off for this purpose), so that you can properly test from power on state
  • Possibly, bread board so that you can wire a mapper yourself, if the built-in mapper isn't good enough

Last edited by zzo38 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:26 pm 
Formerly 65024U

CF is so out of date, it's a joke to use it over SD really, so much cheaper and faster AFAIK. But I don't see how the pin count matters? I don't exactly see what you need. Info on a cart? Or just what you find useful?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm 

60-pin cartridge means it works in a Famicom, which has the DA15 expansion connector for plugging in a keyboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:03 pm 

3gengames wrote:
CF is so out of date, it's a joke to use it over SD really, so much cheaper and faster AFAIK.
No really I think CF is far better.

Quote:
I don't exactly see what you need. Info on a cart? Or just what you find useful?
Just any ideas you have, if you know existing devices doing some subset of these things, or what you find useful, etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 am 

CF might be electronically better but it's a dying format. Keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:27 pm 

zzo38 wrote:
No really I think CF is far better.

It may be easier to work with when developing hardware, but it's more expensive, harder to find, and occupies more space. I fail to see how it could be better for end users.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:36 pm 

I'd guess that CF is better for end users because a manufacturer of devices with a CF slot doesn't have to pay annual dues to the SD Card Association, which can get prohibitive for low volume devices like the PowerPak. A manufacturer would have to pass on this recurring fee to end users.

"Harder to find"? I found a CF card in seconds on Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm 
Formerly 65024U

CF cards are not all working with PP though. Find me one that works, that can turn into much hassle, as many people on here post about it all the time. And it seems if you use SPI mode only on SD cards, you don't need to pay anything to use it. Still, it's stupid to make the reader you have to pay. Fees should be paid by manufacturers of the SD-complaint storage devices. $3000 to use the other mode....so, yeah, what a joke.

Last edited by 3gengames on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm 

tepples wrote:
I'd guess that CF is better for end users because a manufacturer of devices with a CF slot doesn't have to pay annual dues to the SD Card Association, which can get prohibitive for low volume devices like the PowerPak.

Do you think Krikzz pays such fees because of the Everdrives, and passes it on to his customers? Whatever he's doing is working pretty well I think, as his products are generally cheaper and better than similar products made by other people.

Quote:
"Harder to find"? I found a CF card in seconds on Amazon.

Back when I got my PowerPak, lots of street vendors downtown carried CF cards, nowadays I can only find them online, and prices are far from attractive at larger sizes. SD is still widely used in a multitude of devices and can be found everywhere (although MicroSD is actually the one that's popular right now, but adapters are cheap and easy to find as well, so it's all the same).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 pm 

For most purposes, CF is overkill, as SD is cheaper and easier to find, and has plenty of bandwidth for most consumer purposes, but for devices that need removable storage that reads/writes quickly (i.e. DSLR's), CF is a preferable format. CF isn't just some old obsolete format; the advantages vs extra cost simply aren't justified for most purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 pm 

l_oliveira wrote:
CF might be electronically better but it's a dying format. Keep that in mind.

In addition to this (which i agree with), keep in mind that the Sega Genesis was also electronically better than the NES/SNES and it died. So did firewire vs. USB, and Betamax vs. VHS, and laserdisc vs. VHS, and IBM's model M keyboard vs. the cheap $5 keyboard you find in a supermarket. Superior formats generally end up losing, as sad as that may sometimes be.

But, to be clear, I use a Model M, whenever possible use CF, collect laserdiscs and betamax tapes, and own a genesis. I appreciate that stuff.