MMC3 on CPLD

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

byemu

Re: MMC3 on CPLD

Post by byemu » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:13 pm

nikita600 wrote:
FARID wrote:
byemu wrote:You completed yet?
I don't work on this project anymore
Because I couldn't find any suitable CPLD (5V + 44 pin + 128 Macrocells)
I think you never find CPLD like this: (5V + 44 pin + 128 Macrocells). By the way if you find, you cannot made full implementation of MMC3, because CPLD needs programming interface and etc and you didn't have enough pins.

P.S. Sorry for my english.
P.S.S. And this is my full implementation FME-7 on XC9572:
Great job!
I found some fme-7 verilog code in fpganes.

nikita600

Post by nikita600 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 pm

getafixx wrote:Would you be willing to share the design files for that? Looks like you've got it split over 2 XC9572 chips?
Yes, I want to upload my verilog implementation to wiki, but I didn't make it because Ruslansh just take my sources and make a lot of carts for sale. Yes, I split implementation on 2 chips, because all CHR registers needs 64 macrocells and other 8 macro need for logic CHR banking.
FARID wrote: Great job!
Thank you. My implementation made from scratch. I've making this impl about six months, cause I don't have any experience in electronics, CPLD etc.

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 am

nikita600 wrote:I want to upload my verilog implementation to wiki, but I didn't make it because Ruslansh just take my sources and make a lot of carts for sale.
Plenty of copyright licenses intended for free software require redistributors to preserve an appropriate copyright notice on all copies. This might include labeling the board "MMC3 © 2014 nikita600". Or what were you expecting beyond credit where credit is due?

Sik

Post by Sik » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:33 am

Given the way it's worded, I think he doesn't want money to be made out of it, at least without he getting anything from it.

nikita600

Post by nikita600 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 am

tepples wrote:
nikita600 wrote:I want to upload my verilog implementation to wiki, but I didn't make it because Ruslansh just take my sources and make a lot of carts for sale.
Plenty of copyright licenses intended for free software require redistributors to preserve an appropriate copyright notice on all copies. This might include labeling the board "MMC3 © 2014 nikita600". Or what were you expecting beyond credit where credit is due?
I hope that nobody making money on my sources. That's all.
Sik wrote:Given the way it's worded, I think he doesn't want money to be made out of it, at least without he getting anything from it.
If I all understand right, I think you understand me :)

mr-volk

Post by mr-volk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 pm

nikita600 wrote: Yes, I want to upload my verilog implementation to wiki, but I didn't make it because Ruslansh just take my sources and make a lot of carts for sale. Yes, I split implementation on 2 chips, because all CHR registers needs 64 macrocells and other 8 macro need for logic CHR banking.
Ruslansh - pirate of 21th century)))))

tepples

Post by tepples » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:51 pm

nikita600 wrote:I hope that nobody making money on my sources. That's all.
If you are unwilling to license your design to manufacturers of homebrew games, then perhaps keeping it private is the best way to go forward.

FARID

Post by FARID » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I found a nice CPLD which can be fit inside of a regular Famicom Cartridge :

It has 320 Macrocells and it is 5V - PLCC 84pin (29.31x29.31)

EPM9320LC84 Datasheet

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Price is about $110/ea for that chip in quantity of 75, though. :)

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:56 am

You don't necessarily need CPLD that's powered at 5V, just one that has 5V-tolerant inputs. Part families like Xilinx XC95XL and Lattice ispMACH are a couple examples (up to 288 and 512 macrocells, respectively). You just add a 3.3V regulator to power it. The NES and Famicom accepts 3.3V inputs just fine. So there are quite a few options, if you allow for 3.3V parts and QFP packages (PLCC is really big).

Though for a one-off build, it doesn't really matter, use whatever you want. :)

Ruslansh

Post by Ruslansh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 am

nikita600 wrote:
getafixx wrote:Would you be willing to share the design files for that? Looks like you've got it split over 2 XC9572 chips?
Yes, I want to upload my verilog implementation to wiki, but I didn't make it because Ruslansh just take my sources and make a lot of carts for sale. Yes, I split implementation on 2 chips, because all CHR registers needs 64 macrocells and other 8 macro need for logic CHR banking.
FARID wrote: Great job!
Thank you. My implementation made from scratch. I've making this impl about six months, cause I don't have any experience in electronics, CPLD etc.
Come out with faster kazlina sources, an urgent need to make FC cart! Moron.

alphamule

Post by alphamule » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:49 pm

"please give me source code or I'll cry and call you a pooty head" Child, much? Just make your own implementation. You might even make a better version if you apply yourself!

Hmm, it's easy enough to put a copyright sticker on chips? Just something like ©IBM as an example of something that would fit even on a small one. "©αm." or "©αmule" if it was my copyright, as another example. That's the credit requirement equivalent for configuration firmware instead of sequential-state-machine (CPU/MCU/...) 'software'.
Idealogical
From: I have an idea. It seems logical. Thus everyone must agree.

Fail, fail, fail again. Keep trying, then maybe this damn thing will work. Eventually you might even know why it worked.

HardWareMan

Post by HardWareMan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 am

alphamule wrote:"please give me source code or I'll cry and call you a pooty head" Child, much?
You do not know the whole essence of the confrontation. I know both of them, they know each other and, in general, very bad that they have brought their conflict to this forum at all.
Nikita600 is also not a saint too, spoiled the nerves of other good people, dumping their work on the public without permission.
alphamule wrote:Just make your own implementation. You might even make a better version if you apply yourself!
I've made a lot of things about FC/NES/Dandy. Many of them used by various people. Some of them used this with profit. And Ruslansh always ask for my permission to use my work. I'm not a redneck, I always share if I was asked kindly.
Anyway, I think we should stop this offtopic in this thread.

byemu

Post by byemu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:49 am

If no chr(only chr-ram),xc9572 is enough.
I have finished this project.

Ten1hc

Post by Ten1hc » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:53 am

Hello,
Im newbie :D
Im trying to make my own mmc3 by max2 cpld too. But its not easy as my planning. :(

I have found some information on nesdev wiki regarding to, i can understand the Registers,IRQ explaintation.
But no information how to implement control pins (M2 in,reset, CPU_RW in, CPU_romSEL in, PRG_CE out) in verilog module
i have to generate signal for control pins and i dont know what is exactly sequence of these pins like:
always @(negedge M2)
if (!reset) begin
---reset bank_x
---reset IRQ
---and something need to be reset
---is it correct??
end
else if (!CPU_RW)
begin
if (CPU_romSEL)
begin
---- register processing ($8000-$9FFE or something like this)
----is it correct??
assign PRG_CE = !prg_rw; ---- ????? i dont know how can i assign this pin for PRG rom CE pin
Need your help.