It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Retron 5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 am 

I wonder if the maker left the software for producing a nonvolatile dump out of the package on purpose, in order to have a better defense to contributory copyright infringement should the publisher of a classic console game sue. I know Red Hat is scared enough of Nintendo not to include even free emulators in the Fedora repository.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
It dumps every cartridge you insert in order to be able to play the games, but I don't think it allows you to keep the file. Also, it can only dump cartridges that have been registered in its database, something that probably only happens to carts that have already been dumped.

The Retron 5 certainly has the hardware necessary to dump games, it of just doesn't have the software that will do it in a more useful way. It can probably be hacked though, if someone cares enough to do it.

It's trivial to locate the rom dump on a rooted device, for fair use backups of course. They also implemented some form of mapper detection(which I assume is the holy diver batman algorithm from this thread so thanks to the poster).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:04 am 

Don't know if anyone is aware/cares, but apparently someone has hacked the Retron5 to allow you to load ROMs, it will dump them to an SD card as well, info was here:

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/loo ... 92/page-17

I have donated and installed the hack on my Retron5, seems to work well. I dumped about 30 of the games from my collection to test, including NES, SNES, GameBoy, GBA, Genesis, all seem to dump & work fine. Tried the ROMs out on Bsnes and Bizhawk work well. You can add carts to the database with this hack as well since it exposes those. I have tried the translated Shinsenden works great on there, but of course came up as unknown and asks if you want to run it anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:24 pm 

if you are actually adding it to the 'database'(textfile) then it shouldnt come up as unknown for a good read. maybe you need to change your CRC on the db to match the translated roms CRC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:02 pm 

Hello, I have a damaged retron 5. The two elements marked in the picture are probably damaged. Someone could read the designation in his retron 5 and give it. One of the elements is probably SY6288 (the one with five beds) can not find any information about the element with six beds. Thank you and best regards.

Attachments:
szukane_elementy_1382964.jpg
szukane_elementy_1382964.jpg [ 2.02 MiB | Viewed 4533 times ]