Disabling copy protection ICs on Twin Famicom

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

ApolloBoy

Disabling copy protection ICs on Twin Famicom

Post by ApolloBoy »

Lately I've been having issues with saving disks on my Twin Famicom, sometimes I'll get an error 26 and my game won't get saved. In one case I actually lost a save game (!) in Zelda 2 because of an error 26. I've heard this is usually caused by the copy protection kicking in if the disk is even the slightest bit misread.

I'd like to either disable or remove the copy protection ICs on the Twin Fami's power board, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. Here's pictures of the Twin Fami's power board which come from an earlier thread of mine:

ccovell

Re: Disabling copy protection ICs on Twin Famicom

Post by ccovell »

Depending on the Protection circuit INSIDE the FDS drive itself, you might still not be able to do rewriting. However, here's what worked for me on the power board:

Remove both grey wires going IN and OUT of the power board and connect them to each other. Presto!
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

ccovell wrote:Depending on the Protection circuit INSIDE the FDS drive itself, you might still not be able to do rewriting.
I presume you're talking about whether or not the drive has the FD7201 or not?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Yup.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

ccovell wrote:Yup.
My drive has the 7201 so it sounds like this'll work. I'll give it a shot later tonight and report back.