Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by tepples »

Do you have an NTSC NES and an NTSC monitor set to underscan? If so, I'd like you to try running something known to put predictable graphics in the top overscan area, such as the overscan test of 240p Test Suite, so I can see how the top scanlines bend.
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

I might have used overscan incorrectly here, I just meant the area hidden by the TV's bezel. My CRTs are in the storage and I don't have easy access to them. But I don't believe I have what you need anyways.
tepples

Post by tepples »

"Monitor set to underscan" means a CRT whose picture size has been set small enough that the bezel hides nothing.
teknix1

Post by teknix1 »

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely do not have any means of achieving what you are talking about. Hopefully another forum member can help you.
rcdrone

Post by rcdrone »

I captured a slow-motion video with my phone of 240p test suite on my unmodded toaster: https://youtu.be/ImlXalQyvSU
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thanks. See that wiggly line at the far left? The fact that it bends is evidence of the dropped dot. If it's that wiggly on hardware, then perhaps the skipped dot handling is three accurate five you.*

To be even more sure, I'd like to see another high-speed camera video in the "Overscan" test, with left set to 1 pixel and top set to 0 pixels.

*That's one more than "too accurate for you".
rcdrone

Post by rcdrone »

Here you go: https://youtu.be/NIMk_mij7Rg

This may not be difficult to correct for with Hi-Def NES, just shift those rows over every other frame, possibly as a configurable toggle in case there are scenarios where this doesn't happen. I'd like to see this fixed along with restoring the missing bottom row and handling emphasis bits more correctly. It's just up to the author as far as what he feels is worth his time.
DaddyLongLegs

Post by DaddyLongLegs »

I just finished installing my Hi-Def NES HDMI today and there's something odd and I want to make sure it's not just on mine.

When running it at 1080p, there's a distortion at the top of the screen. It's just basically a line or two at the very top flickering back and forth like crazy. It is not the random "speckles" that others mention.

I have tried this on 3 different television sets and two different HDMI cables and 23 different games and they all have it.

I am trying to figure out of anyone else here had this issue. I want to put my system back together but not until I'm sure it's not just me with the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just went back a few pages and it seems like this is a known issue. Does it go away with a firmware downgrade? Why does this happen with the HiDef NES but it doesn't with the NESRGB?
Frostbyte924

Post by Frostbyte924 »

I installed my Hi-Def NES recently, and it works great for all except two games: Blaster Master and Super Mario Bros. 2.

These games start playing fine, but they soon start to have what I've dubbed 'vertical spasms,' which get more and more frequent, and only seem to affect tiles and background, not the player or enemies. They could possibly be related to the vertical scrolling issue that I've seen come up in other areas of the internet (I've watched Blaster Master scroll once, but only once). At this point I have no clue as to what is causing it, and why it only affects two games.

I followed the guide (almost) perfectly, now having tried anything I didn't do/could have done better (with the exclusion of the Lockout chip mod).

The caps have been replaced, the Q1 transistor was removed and outer holes bridged (though RF was corrupted last time I checked, AV does the same thing to the two games).

The original board I was going to mod didn't feel like letting go of the PPU on three pins right next to each other, and the board was charred in that location after all the attempts. So it was taken to someone who knows how to desolder better than I can, and he recommended using a different board, so I swapped the Power Modules from the boards, placing the re-capped module on the board in the modded NES. Since its a "module," i would assume that they are interchangeable with all the different design plans they have.

Speaking of PPU, could it be I have one that just doesn't like the mod?

If anyone wants a video for an in-depth look at the bug, I could make one.

If there is not technical explanation and it is the firmware, then I'm in trouble because I have no flashcart. I could get one, but I want to save that as a last resort.

EDIT: Doing the "last resort" of the troubleshooting page (unmodding the NES) resulted in Blaster Master working fine. I've ordered an Everdrive to 'update' the firmware, hopefully this will fix it.

EDIT2: lots of things done, but ultimately it was a finicky CPU chip.
drewdizzle

Post by drewdizzle »

Hey guys first off thx for your time if your reading this!

I bought a pre-modded Hi-Def Nes console online. I own an Everdrive N8 (only about 2 months old purchased from Stoneagegamer). The Hi-Def Nes can play alot of the roms on the everdrive, but alot of them also just load to a grey screen and never load. The Hi-def nes is on the latest firmware and I have tried multiple firmwares on the everdrive. I have tried different roms of the same game and multiple SD cards. I have a regular top loading NES and the roms play fine on it. Games I have the real cartridge for play fine on the Hi Def Nes console but their roms on the everdrive don't load. Some of the games that won't work on the everdrive Hi-def nes combo are ... Crystalis, Super Mario bros 3, Willow, Castlevania 3, Bonks adventure.
I am clueless as to what could be wrong at this point :(

Any insight would be appreciated Thanks!
StudMuffinHak

Post by StudMuffinHak »

Hey just got done with an install in a top loader

I’ve done a few installs already but this is having some issues.

I get garbled graphics but the image is locked and the osd works perfectly.

It has a RP2C02G from Korea.

Also the hi def nes has firmware 2.5 on haven’t been able to update it(everdrive coming tomorrow)

I included pictures of what I see.

Would replacing the caps fix it? Or vram? Or is it a firmware thing?

Appreciate any help.
https://m.imgur.com/a/0aRG09r
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Am I the only person extremely unhappy about the palette/interpolation situation?

I mean, I barely touch the thing, because every time I look at it, I get freaking purple instead of red (amongst other color peculiarities). It looks absurd.

And then without the interpolation (in the newest firmware), you get a shaky image (and no way to smooth out the graphics).

I'm guessing this is a dead project, because of the Super NT. Which at least with that, there is an "above" person to discuss, if something is warped.
I'm really hoping that some other modder does some custom firmware or something. This has been a massive disappointment.
I paid a lot for the NES/the board/and the installation. And it's just collecting dust, while I use my NESRGB instead, on my CRT. It really shouldn't be this way.

Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? The colors are just garbage.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

DaddyLongLegs wrote:I just finished installing my Hi-Def NES HDMI today and there's something odd and I want to make sure it's not just on mine.

When running it at 1080p, there's a distortion at the top of the screen. It's just basically a line or two at the very top flickering back and forth like crazy. It is not the random "speckles" that others mention.

I have tried this on 3 different television sets and two different HDMI cables and 23 different games and they all have it.

I am trying to figure out of anyone else here had this issue. I want to put my system back together but not until I'm sure it's not just me with the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I just went back a few pages and it seems like this is a known issue. Does it go away with a firmware downgrade? Why does this happen with the HiDef NES but it doesn't with the NESRGB?
That's probably just that garbage that is sometimes on the edges of NES games. Use the crop function.
roadkill908

Post by roadkill908 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Am I the only person extremely unhappy about the palette/interpolation situation?

I mean, I barely touch the thing, because every time I look at it, I get freaking purple instead of red (amongst other color peculiarities). It looks absurd.

And then without the interpolation (in the newest firmware), you get a shaky image (and no way to smooth out the graphics).

I'm guessing this is a dead project, because of the Super NT. Which at least with that, there is an "above" person to discuss, if something is warped.
I'm really hoping that some other modder does some custom firmware or something. This has been a massive disappointment.
I paid a lot for the NES/the board/and the installation. And it's just collecting dust, while I use my NESRGB instead, on my CRT. It really shouldn't be this way.

Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? The colors are just garbage.
I was thinking the same thing, that the Hi Def NES won't ever be updated again probably because of the Super NT (and other Analogue NT products). I actually like using the different color palettes sometimes just to keep things fresh when replaying games. Unfortunately though, I find myself not being able to decide which color palette to stick with especially since all 4 of the new ones look almost exactly alike. I downgraded my Hi Def NES firmware back to V2.25 because the newest firmware broke a lot of things e.g. FDS Metroid door sounds as well as VS. Duck Home Edition. I gathered up all 3 of the latest Hi Def NES firmwares into a zip archive if you're interested in downgrading: https://mega.nz/#!sjJjHCpK!SiJNRqBqjmSd ... 9eP9mLm_d0
promethium144

Post by promethium144 »

Hi Roadkill

i was wondering if i could ask a quick question regarding upgrading/downgrading. i have been having a problem with both on my console. i have started another thread with the details so i wont repeat it all here, but i was wondering what you use for loading the firmware? eg Everdrive OS combination/any tricks im missing ect. no matter what i can't upgrade or downgrade it just fails the integrity check. i have a PAL system so the 3.01 firmware will hopefully solve the glitching problem i am having i prefer that even if i have to live with the palette selection that comes with it.

any help in this would be greatly appreciated

Paul

PS thanks for the firmware bundle