Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

leonk

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by leonk »

Jdurg wrote:I can't recall if this was answered already, but with my HiDefNES install the audio enables are not saved when I power off the system. So each time I turn on the NES I need to remember to go in there and save the sound channels I've enabled. Is it possible to save these somehow, or is there some conflict that keeps it from saving and that's just the way it is? (Not really a big deal, but i'm just a little curious).
Not a good idea to have them all on if not used.

E.g. try to play real Lagrange Point, but turn on VRC6 .. you will get horrible electric buz in audio output. Turn it off and only keep VRC7 on, and all is well.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

leonk wrote:
Jdurg wrote:I can't recall if this was answered already, but with my HiDefNES install the audio enables are not saved when I power off the system. So each time I turn on the NES I need to remember to go in there and save the sound channels I've enabled. Is it possible to save these somehow, or is there some conflict that keeps it from saving and that's just the way it is? (Not really a big deal, but i'm just a little curious).
Not a good idea to have them all on if not used.

E.g. try to play real Lagrange Point, but turn on VRC6 .. you will get horrible electric buz in audio output. Turn it off and only keep VRC7 on, and all is well.
Yeah, I noticed that happening and after my post realized that's likely why it forces you to turn them on each time you power on the system. As I said, it's not a big deal and i usually remember to do so when loading up a game and the sound is off. Considering everything else this miracle of a mod does, I'm still perfectly happy with my purchase. :)
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-faqs/
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

game-tech.us wrote:
https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-faqs/
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for my "derp" moment there. Still loving the HiDef Kit. Have some buddies who are thinking about getting one as well after seeing mine in use.
roadkill908

Post by roadkill908 »

I had my Hi-Def NES kit installed by a modder from NintendoAge (Mobiusstriptech) on my NES Front Loader, very well done mod work I should add. There's nothing he did wrong that causes these minor issues I'd like to report:

#1 The new 3.01 firmware makes the door sound in the FDS version of Metroid no longer work.
#2 The new firmware also makes SMB1 have a green colored logo on the title/demo screen with glitched graphics on composite output, no problems playing it.
#3 Duck Hunt VS. (hacked for play on an original NES) doesn't boot up with the new firmware on composite output.
#4 Crime Busters keeps resetting itself with graphical glitches on composite when pressing the zapper trigger (Idk if this is a issue with the Hi-Def NES kit or EverDrive)

The first 3 of these problems go away when I downgraded back to V2.25. But on that firmware, I still get a little bit of graphical glitches on the SMB1 title and demo screen. My 32-in-1 multi-cart has speckles but this problem is fixed on HDMI when switching to Despecle option 1. I don't have an original Nintendo AC power supply, I've been using a Genesis Model 1 power supply. Idk if that may or may not make any difference. Are there any ideas for what may be causing these composite output problems? Should I use an official Nintendo NES AC power adapter for playing and/or updating?

Here is a video demonstrating all these issues on both V2.25 and V3.01.

https://youtu.be/RGS4AlozLVY

Note: These glitches don't happen on HDMI (except for the no door opening sound in FDS Metroid on V3.01)

*I originally posted this as its own topic but decided to put it in this topic.*
Last edited by roadkill908 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
roadkill908

Post by roadkill908 »

I apologize if my post has gotten annoying. I was hoping to get some kind of response to it but at this point I'm willing to just let it be informative.

I hate to do it, but I'm going to stick with firmware version 2.25 on the Hi-Def NES kit for now because of those bugs. I'm hoping some day Kevtris fixes some or possibly all of them on his next firmware update whenever that it is (I understand he's very busy right now with other projects, most notably the Zimba 3000), although I have to admit they're not high priority level bug fixes. I thought the new color palettes were pretty cool in V3.01 but I usually stick with "Beware's" color palette anyway but sometimes use the PC10 color palette as well because I like the colors it produces in certain games. Since sometimes I like to use PC10 colors, I did like that two of the new color palettes in V3.01 use a mixture of PC10 and composite colors which can look really good in some games.

I was worried about downgrading to V2.25 but I can confirm that it is possible to do without a hitch and I've done it several times already for testing bugs and comparing versions, as well as to make that youtube video I posted.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

It sounds like the Hi-Def NES FPGA is maxed out such it's nearly impossible to add any more features. Will there be revised hardware in the future with a more-capable FPGA?

My most nagging problem of not having a cropped 5x scale in 1080p could only be solved by revised hardware that allows more scanlines to be buffered.
kevtris wrote:... I could not add 5x mode to 1080p because there's not enough scanline buffer to do so. I would've needed another 15-20 lines and I just don't have it. I did add 4x mode though. It's toggled in the renamed save and options menu (since I ran out of menu entries everywhere else). That was the originally save and update.

I do not think I can add anything else now. The FPGA's sitting at 99% full with around 50LE's left out of 10000, and the menu code's full up too with maybe 15-20 bytes free in there as well. So don't ask for anything else since it isn't happening :-)

Going to make a video tonight/tomorrow about the new stuff for the official release including how the update is applied, etc.
Now I have to wonder if straight 1920x1200 can be done (not cropped to 1080p) since Hi-Def NES wouldn't need to buffer any more scanlines. I keep bumping into situations where I want to use Hi-Def NES on my 1920x1200 native Hannspree HSG1075 or my 1920x1200 computer monitor.

The Hannspree HSG1075 forces vertical stretch of 1080p to 1200p, so the sides of each pixel are sharp with a perfect integer scale, but the non-integer vertical stretch makes the top/bottom of the pixels blurred or uneven:
Computer monitors are generally lower latency and have less image processing. A 1920x1200 DVI mode would be absolutely awesome. My Acer 24" 1920x1200 monitor says the 1080p output from my Hi-Def NES is an "unsupported signal" when I tried it. I didn't get a chance to check the video output settings, but it should have been 1080p.

Even if 1920x1200 can't be done without revised hardware, I'm all for revising the hardware! I'd buy the revised one for myself without hesitation.

Jason GameTechUS recently tweeted that there won't even be pre-orders for a while. Maybe Kevtris is already working on a new version? *hope*
Zonomi

Post by Zonomi »

Why is it so hard to get one of these kits ?
Each time game-tech.us get a batch, they are sold so quickly that I can't even buy one.
It is the same problem with Marshallh's N64 HDMI kit.

I know this is a hobbyist project, but there are other projects like Krikzz's that are never out of stock.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

Zonomi wrote:Why is it so hard to get one of these kits ?
Each time game-tech.us get a batch, they are sold so quickly that I can't even buy one.
It is the same problem with Marshallh's N64 HDMI kit.

I know this is a hobbyist project, but there are other projects like Krikzz's that are never out of stock.
Unfortunately it's extremely expensive and time consuming. Put it this way, I send enough money to china to pay for a brand new mid-level car every time I order. This combined with the work I have to do after receipt to test and program them has to be done in my free time. Right now I don't have much of that since I'm working my day job and doing a big side project at home so this is eating all my free time. My contract manufacturer is swamped too. When they get freed up I was going to order another round. I don't think I will get a chance to program/test a lot of them though for awhile.

I assume krikzz does this as a full time job and has more than 1 product going so it makes life easier when it's your entire job (and have money coming in from many sources to fund new production easily).
/* this is a comment */
Zonomi

Post by Zonomi »

If it is on your free time, I understand.
Can't you do preorders, so you wouldn't have to pay all the money ?
I just hope to get my hand on this kit one day :)
kevtris wrote: Right now I don't have much of that since I'm working my day job and doing a big side project at home so this is eating all my free time.
Zimbra 3000? :D
tepples

Post by tepples »

As explained on the preorder page for the Pyra handheld computer, not all payment processors are kind to companies that take preorders. As I understand it, PayPal wants to see a tracking number for the shipment in 30 days or the buyer will win the dispute. International bank transfers tend to have substantial fees on the order of tens of dollars. As for Bitcoin, we'll have to wait until exchanges adopt Segregated Witness* as part of moving small payments off the main blockchain.

* No, not the other segregated Witnesses.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Yeah, on top of payment processing difficulties, pre-orders can potentially be stressful for everyone and the supplier in particular, especially if a part shortage, manufacturing mishap, or any kind of unexpected issue comes up. If 99% of the buyers are completely chill about it, the remaining 1% would more than make up for it. Probably would be cool if there was some kind of queue people could get in, but even then you'd have to deal with people reserving a spot and then not being ready to pay when the time comes (then there's work involved with managing such a queue as well).

It's an amazing product though, well worth the wait. :)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Dude, PLEASE bring back Interpolation. I cannot get this looking right, without it.
If your original version didn't have it, I would never have bought the NES-HDMI.
If you need space, take out some of those god awful HQ scalers.

The new palettes are very good though.
bird333

Post by bird333 »

teknix1 wrote:Well I just installed V3 and the missing pixel/wavy lines issue is unfortunately still there. I'm not too surprised, I don't think anybody had mentioned it before. Kevtris, any chance this is something that could be fixed in the next version? This happens will all my televisions at home.Image
I would like to see the above fixed if possible. Also using a Powerpak, while scrolling through the games I see a title that should be at the top of the screen at the bottom and vice versa depending on which direction I am scrolling.
tepples

Post by tepples »

bird333 wrote:Also using a Powerpak, while scrolling through the games I see a title that should be at the top of the screen at the bottom and vice versa depending on which direction I am scrolling.
Does this also occur on an original NES and a TV that has been adjusted to underscan? Because of NES video memory limits, many games allow artifacts to remain on the top and bottom 8 pixels of the screen when scrolling, trusting that the bezel of an NTSC TV will cut them off.