Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

roadkill908

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by roadkill908 »

promethium144 wrote:Hi Roadkill

i was wondering if i could ask a quick question regarding upgrading/downgrading. i have been having a problem with both on my console. i have started another thread with the details so i wont repeat it all here, but i was wondering what you use for loading the firmware? eg Everdrive OS combination/any tricks im missing ect. no matter what i can't upgrade or downgrade it just fails the integrity check. i have a PAL system so the 3.01 firmware will hopefully solve the glitching problem i am having i prefer that even if i have to live with the palette selection that comes with it.

any help in this would be greatly appreciated

Paul

PS thanks for the firmware bundle
You're welcome.

There's no tricks to it, I just simply use an official krikzz everdrive and select whichever update I want to upgrade/downgrade to and it works the same as updating it. I tried helping out another user on here that had the same problems you are mentioning but he said he was using a China EverDrive clone. The Chinese clone everdrives cause problems when trying to flash the Hi Def NES firmware, you must use official krikzz everdrive.

Regards.
promethium144

Post by promethium144 »

Hi

Thanks for your response. it seems i'm doing things correct so there must be some other issue that is preventing the update from working. as you mention i did see the posts regarding the clone everdrive. i can confirm that mine is a genuine cart, i purchased it directly for krikzz's website. At least i know that what im doing is correct so i will hunt further to figure out whats going wrong. if i figure it out i will update with the solution.

the only thing i can think to do now is reverse the region unlock mod and if that doesn't work try another motherboard.

Thanks again for your help

Paul
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Lacking all else, you could ask around and see if someone is willing to make you a dedicated MMC3 cart with the rom on it.

The high def nes has always seemed a bit touchy because the bus signals on the nes are a bit of a mess from revision to revision. Combine this with the everdrive not always doing things the "right" way (or so I've been told in the past, this might've been fixed) as far as the fpga code goes, and things get a bit messy. Using a dedicated cart with the rom on it bypasses all of this, and makes it fairly straightforward.

edit: MMC3 not NROM
promethium144

Post by promethium144 »

Hi

yes i have thought of making a dedicated cart. i just got a hold of a powerpak so i will try that, just waiting on a CF card. failing that i will make a dedicated cart. this is something i am capable of doing myself :)

thanks again and i will update once i figure this out for anyone that comes across the same problem.

Paul
promethium144

Post by promethium144 »

Hi

Thought i would post an update on the issue i was having. It seems that my Hi Def NES, motherboard and Everdrive combination did not like one another. i got a hold of a powerpak cart and boom updated immediately with no issues. I have been playing SM Bros 3 for 1/2 hour and no graphical glitches with the new firmware. i can finally enjoy my NES again so happy.

Thanks for all your help here

Happy Gaming

Paul
roadkill908

Post by roadkill908 »

promethium144 wrote:Hi

Thought i would post an update on the issue i was having. It seems that my Hi Def NES, motherboard and Everdrive combination did not like one another. i got a hold of a powerpak cart and boom updated immediately with no issues. I have been playing SM Bros 3 for 1/2 hour and no graphical glitches with the new firmware. i can finally enjoy my NES again so happy.

Thanks for all your help here

Happy Gaming

Paul
Any luck with using a PowerPak?

I have to admit, the new color palettes can look real nice on my Samsung HDTV when it's set to Dynamic color temperature. I've become lazy at constantly having to swap back and forth between the "Movie" color temperature for my Hi-Def NES and "Dynamic" color temperature for everything else, so the new color palettes do help with getting rid of the neon green/yellowish and other ugly, oversaturated colors on "Dynamic" with the V2.25 palettes. I upgraded only up to V3.00 beta though, since 3.01 breaks some more games on composite output. I have to admit that the FDS sounds are better despite no Metroid door sound (I guess I just have to live with it) and VRC6 sounds much better too, the audio altogether seems more accurate.
promethium144

Post by promethium144 »

Hi

yes the powerpak worked perfectly updated to 3.01. i will live with any of the issues on the 3.01 firmware as its better than constant glitching :P thanks for all the advice

Paul
MarcoEagleEye

Post by MarcoEagleEye »

I have problems since I made the update on 3.01.

I have a NES 101 (ntsc us) and have an Everdrive to update.
It has successfully recorded and after a reboot there is only a black screen.
What else can I do ?
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

These have been linked on the sale page forever and are what I normally send to ppl having issues as a first reply:
https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-faqs/
https://www.game-tech.us/hi-def-nes-ins ... on-guides/
https://www.game-tech.us/troubleshootin ... f-nes-kit/
tcglog

Post by tcglog »

Hi,

Is anyone still active here? I have a PAL hi-def nes and have been reading through all 42 pages (!) of this thread.

On page 12 Kevtris said:
kevtris wrote: These are the things I want to add:
* 4x 1080p mode (Might work on PAL, maybe not)
And then on page 15:
kevtris wrote: Added 4x mode for NTSC 1080p
I'm confused. I always thought that I have 4x vertical resolution scaling on my PAL hi-def nes, as is set in the menu. So if that is only a feature on the NTSC hi-def nes, what vertical scaling do I have on the PAL? Nowhere in this thread was there a mention that 4x vertical would have been implemented on PAL as well.

Also I noticed that the pixels seem to be uneven when I have the horizontal width set to 5x integer. Do these integers no apply to PAL at all?

Appreciate all replys. Here attached is a comparison between image quality on different nes's / tv's I made, and also an example image of the uneven pixels on 5x horizontal.
Attachments
Street Gangs pixel resize.jpg
Mario.jpg
bikerspade

Post by bikerspade »

Great Hierophant wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:59 pm Can anyone test FDS Metroid on their Hi-Def NES? Apparently the most recent update to the Analogue Nt Mini, also designed by Kevtris using his FPGA design, may have silenced the door opening sound. Kevtris asked about it on the AtariAge page dedicated to the Nt Mini. The firmware upgrade fixed the FDS sound in Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, but there may be a regression somewhere.

Here is the report : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970 ... ?p=3755991
Have there been any updates to fix this?