It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm 

story:
ok, so I got a brand new retro entertainment system (which is exactly the same as the retron 1 in terms of the hardware), and I wanted to modify it so that it only plays famicom games and give it to my friend on christmas as she have always wanted a famicom but didn't have the will to buy one XP
I got it in the mail today, and I tested it out. It didn't work.
issue:
It doesn't turn on. It only turns on when there is no cartridge inserted, and it shows weird ghostly shapes on the screen. my other RES doesn't do that at all. it works just fine, in fact. HOW CAN I FIX IT PLEASE HALP!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm 

Aren't these commercial products? Doesn't Retron provide support for them? What were the results of contacting them directly?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:18 pm 

is it ok even if I bought it from amazon? because that's what I did

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:19 pm 

1. The company that makes it is named Hyperkin (they also make a white-and-red version). Contact them for support; this forum has no relation to Hyperkin or their products (you're free to discuss them here, but this is not where you get support for Hyperkin products).

2. I don't think it matters where you bought it, though if you bought it used that may be a problem. Furthermore, Hyperkin sells stuff directly on Amazon.

3. If you still don't like the product, send it back to Amazon! They can exchange it with another one free of charge (you pay no shipping fees), otherwise just send it back and get your money refunded. If the replacement has the same issue, they'll refund your money as well. It's that simple. Amazon is one of the few companies left in the United States who is extremely good about refunding a customer's money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:40 pm 

it doesn't look like I was clear about the product XP
it's an RES (retro entertainment system) made by retro bit. Though I assume I will take the same procedure to contact them :P
anyways, I can't return it. I'm in a hurry, and returning it will only take more time :cry: . I made a video showing the problem, if that helps
http://youtu.be/5hTZgz4Pbeg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm guessing if you look inside it, you're not going to see much other than a cartridge connector and an blob of epoxy. Unless you see something obviously wrong, broken wires or something, it's probably not going to be fixable. It's really be faster to just return it. If you can open it without breaking a warranty, it won't hurt to look inside but I doubt it would help.

I don't have any of the newer clones, but with Retro Bit I can say I bought their NES controller extension cables to compare to 2 other manufacturers, and the Retro Bit cables were by far the shittiest, with unbelievably small wire gauge. I would avoid their stuff, if the build quality is this bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:46 am 

Did you try another power supply?

Going to agree about Retro Bit. If I can rip the wire by pulling on it a bit, then it's a shit wire, and that's what all of their products do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:31 pm 

yeah, I tried the original power adapter and AV cables, and then I tried a power supply with 500mAh and better AV cables. Same results :(