Perfect FDS 2C33 audio when not using actual FDS disks?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Tomy

Re: Perfect FDS 2C33 audio when not using actual FDS disks?

Post by Tomy »

Hi loopy,

Thanks for new update. Few days later here is Chinese Happy New Year.
Good gift for it.

I saw you add Twin Famicom to fdsstick connection pinout.
I want to ask, is it still connect 8 pins are enough ?
evilsim

Post by evilsim »

Tomy wrote:I saw you add Twin Famicom to fdsstick connection pinout.
indeed, good work Loopy !! :mrgreen:
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

loopy wrote:Another software update. PC emulation mode is added - games can be loaded directly from a PC. Handy for trying out games without having to disconnect and reflash. It's also convenient for NES development. With FDSStick software running in the background, just recompile and hit reset on the NES to reload your game.
The software just keeps getting better and better. I never imagined back in late July that it would become so advanced. Using the PC instead of the FDSStick's flash to load games also makes being an early adopter with the small flash size much more bearable. I tested it with Metroid v1.02 and I was able to start, save, load and play a game. Amazing work!

One possible bug or suggestion, if you switch to a different tab in the FDSStick.exe program and switch back, you have to reload the disk image. This can be a bit nerve wracking if you are in the middle of a game and need to save and you are on the wrong disk side. I know and you know the games are supposed to check for the proper side before reading or writing to the disk, but the next guy may not.
loopy

Post by loopy »

evilsim wrote:I do still have the same problem with the tototek chip modded 3206 drive, it will play disks which I have written on the 7201 drive, but it cannot dump or write using the fds stick... When I try to dump, I get an empty .fds file (correct size in KB, but a completely empty file, same for writing, fdsstick.exe software says its writing, the drive mechanism moves correctly, but I end up with a totally blank disk)... Can anyone help me to fix this ?
New update is up. I fixed the problem with Tototek 3206 write mod chips and made some other changes that should make disk reading and writing more reliable.
evilsim

Post by evilsim »

loopy wrote:New update is up. I fixed the problem with Tototek 3206 write mod chips and made some other changes that should make disk reading and writing more reliable.
Wow nice stuff loopy, I did however accidentally rip up a trace on my FDSStick while upgrading to 128MB so I have ordered another from tototek and will have to wait for its arrival before I can test this out. I would like to repair the existing one, but its friggin tiny. I obviously thought the chip was hot enough from the solder tip when i went to move it and it ripped a trace very close to the main chip on there.. :oops:
Tomy

Tototek 3206 Mod Chip V2

Post by Tomy »

Just want to let you guy know, if you want to mod your 3206 drive for use on fdsstick. Then you *MUST* use V2 3206 Mod Chip.
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=143
Also, you *MUST* use latest software from fdsstick site.

If you use V1 chip on fdsstick, then you can not read or write. Also, when you read disk, it will format your disk. I'm sorry about that. But V1 chip had been released before fdsstick. I don't know it is not compatible with fdsstick.
loopy

Post by loopy »

Tomy wrote:I saw you add Twin Famicom to fdsstick connection pinout.
I want to ask, is it still connect 8 pins are enough ?
No, connect them all. The 8-pin cable is only for disk dumping.
I made a small adapter board to make it easy to hook up a ram adapter cable, it's a purchase option for fdsstick now.

Image Image
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Loopy, are those pin headers / cables for the back of the Twin Fami standard parts? I tried looking around Akihabara / junk shops in my area to find some identical pin types with no luck.

Any chance of a single purchase of just some adaptor cables for the Twin?
loopy

Post by loopy »

I don't think it's standard, you probably won't find the right connector for it. Try searching for a 2.50mm pitch header instead.
I'm not selling cables, it's just a board that lets you connect the cable pulled from a ram adapter.

It would certainly be nice to get some custom cables manufactured but I don't think that's feasible for this small project.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I actually tried a 2.5 mm pin header and it fit just fine in the Twin Fami. Not sure about the connector that plugs into the RAM adapter cable though.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Loopy, I soldered together an adaptor board for my Twin Famicom, and it worked!
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

BUMP:

I tried out the Twin Famicom adaptor and saving/kill mode in Zelda II always gives me an "error 24". It works fine when I run the FDSStick through an FDS RAM Adaptor in the cartridge slot. Any ideas why?
loopy

Post by loopy »

Older FDSsticks (before I started making the Twin Fami adapters) will need an extra resistor from pin 6-10 on Port C. I use 27k, but somewhere around 10-50k should do...
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

loopy wrote:Older FDSsticks (before I started making the Twin Fami adapters) will need an extra resistor from pin 6-10 on Port C. I use 27k, but somewhere around 10-50k should do...
Just to confirm, this is bridging "-> DATA" with "VCC" by a resistor?
loopy

Post by loopy »

Yes, it's a pullup on the write data line.