Perfect FDS 2C33 audio when not using actual FDS disks?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Tomy

Re: Perfect FDS 2C33 audio when not using actual FDS disks?

Post by Tomy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 pm

When FDS Stick support Copier format (bigger file >64K), many old copier will resurrection. As I remember, it is :

1) Mini Doctor (Max : 64K+8K)
2) Game Doctor (1M/2M/2M plus/4M +8K) version (BUNG)
3) Game Converter (1M+8K) (Venus)
3) Game Doctor 4+ (4M+8K) (Venus)
4) Game Doctor 6+ (2M+2M) (Venus)
5) Game Doctor 6M (4M+2M) (Venus)
6) Magic Card (1M/2M/4M +8K) version (Front Far East)
7) Magic Card latest (4M+2M) + Can connect PC (Front Far East)
8) Game Master (2M+2M, 4M+2M) version + FPGA Mapper (BUNG)

Most copier sold in Asia (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan), I think Europe and USA not many people have it.
The powerful one is Game Master, it has FPGA. After you load boot disk, it directly support MMC1/2/3. No need to hack game.
I'll play around it when fdsstick support it.

RGB32E

Post by RGB32E » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 am

http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/FDSStick/index.html

Any update for the ETA as it still shows yesterday? :mrgreen:

loopy

Post by loopy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 am

Boards came in today. Cases should be here soon-ish. I'm removing the bare board option, since almost nobody wanted it last time. I don't really like doing these printed cases, eventually I'm going to get a proper injection molded case made.

Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:47 pm

loopy wrote: The 2c33 can verify the CRC16, but you still read it off the disk like normal data. No weird tricks necessary (you can't seek backwards, btw).
So the crc16 is readable from the famicom/nes side? Interesting.
And by 'seek backward' I mean enable the motor right after it gets disabled and the head starts to swings back over the disk to the beginning, so the motor gets turned on and the gear re-engages before the head has fully retracted to the beginning, so you end up starting to read data somewhere random in the middle of the disk (I can't imagine this sort of shenanigans is good for the gears though, nor do I know if it will even work, there may be protections against the head re-engaging the motor unless it has fully retracted)

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Djarum

Post by Djarum » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 pm

loopy wrote:Boards came in today. Cases should be here soon-ish. I'm removing the bare board option, since almost nobody wanted it last time. I don't really like doing these printed cases, eventually I'm going to get a proper injection molded case made.
Probably a silly idea but it would be great to get the cases made in the color of the FDS Drive.

ccovell

Post by ccovell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:25 am

Loopy, can you give some detailed instructions on how to make the gender-changer / adaptor?

Do you just pair the same pins together: 1-1, 2-2...?

I used 2 FDS RAM adaptor cables and just mated the same colour wires, and tried the options -r file.fds and -R file.raw, etc... and it can't read a thing.

The motor spins up, and the light on the FDSStick goes green. Then as soon as the head has moved back to the starting position, the DOS program immediately says "read failed". Meanwhile the light on the FDSStick goes red, and turns off when the head reaches the end of the disk.

Any ideas?

loopy

Post by loopy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:41 am

Pair the same pins together EXCEPT Pin #8, leave it unconnected ("motor power" in Brad Taylor's FDS doc. Careful, his numbering is upside down)
This wire is missing on the ram adapter, so your cable should be good.

It sounds like it's working correctly (well, except for the "read failed" part). The read will abort if data is lost. Try running it a few more times.

Code: Select all

##########################   
################################
###  C   A   8   6   4   2   ###
###                          ###
###  B   9   7   5   3   1   ###

End of RAM adapter cable

ccovell

Post by ccovell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 am

UPDATE: It worked better when I switched from my laptop's USB 3.0 ports to its powered port.

I managed to get the FDS disk dumped into a coherent-looking file a few times by switching USB ports. However, sometimes it still gives the Read error.

In my non-powered USB ports, it's nothing but read errors. I tested some of the switch lines with an oscilloscope, and they barely read above 0.3v or so, so I guess the current drain on an underpowered USB port is causing this species of error.

(Old post: About half of the time, the program will say "Read error. Failed" immediately on startup, and the other half of the time, it'll proceed until the drive head hits the switch which triggers "~ready" and then print that message. On these latter occasions, if I trip the ready switch early with my finger, the program prints "Read error. Failed." So obviously the point of failure is when this switch gets triggered. Why should the program have a read error at this point, anyway, since the head has just hit the very beginning of the disk (before any such data can be read anyway)?)
Last edited by ccovell on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

loopy

Post by loopy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:21 am

As soon as ~ready is triggered, the FDSstick LED goes red and starts streaming data. It doesn't interpret anything, it's just sending out flux transition timing so it should be reading out the pre-gap area on disk at this point. On the PC side, it will give up if the data sequence is out of order (packet got lost). I'm not sure if that's what happening here. I can make another build of the software that spits out more debugging info so I can try to figure out what's going wrong.

ccovell

Post by ccovell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:19 am

I've had success with reading and writing, so thanks! (See my above post)

loopy

Post by loopy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 am

ccovell wrote:UPDATE: It worked better when I switched from my laptop's USB 3.0 ports to its powered port.

I managed to get the FDS disk dumped into a coherent-looking file a few times by switching USB ports. However, sometimes it still gives the Read error.

In my non-powered USB ports, it's nothing but read errors. I tested some of the switch lines with an oscilloscope, and they barely read above 0.3v or so, so I guess the current drain on an underpowered USB port is causing this species of error.
Interesting. The drive's control board is powered by USB (it still needs external power for the motor). The drain should be much lower than what a USB port can provide though.

Tomy

Post by Tomy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:58 am

Hi ccovell,

Congratulation you can read/write disks.

Because of fdsstick release, some people like to write their own disk.
I want to tell something for the people who want to write their own disk.
See my old post here : http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2855

When you buy FDS Drive, take care, you need full modded version of FDS drive.
Or you need to do it by yourself. If you have 7201 drive, then half mod is ok.
If not, fdsstick can not fully rewrite disk.

How to do full mod ?
http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/f ... fications/
http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/f ... write-mod/

or

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=143

3.14159td

Post by 3.14159td » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:52 pm

loopy wrote:Boards came in today. Cases should be here soon-ish. I'm removing the bare board option, since almost nobody wanted it last time. I don't really like doing these printed cases, eventually I'm going to get a proper injection molded case made.
Would you mind leaving the bare board option? I would like to wire the fdsstick directly to my FDS board and have a simple micro usb port on the back of the console. I don't want to pay an extra $10 or so for something that will be completely useless to me.
If i were you, i would offer a bare boards option, and release the file for a case. I have my own 3d printer and if i wanted to, I could just print my own case in any color I wanted. I could even add a cool little Disk-kun logo or something to it.
Last edited by 3.14159td on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B00daW

Post by B00daW » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Hrm... Guess life made me miss the boat this time around. Another wave happening after this shipment, perhaps? :/

Really looking for a good dev environment for FDS audio. :)

3.14159td

Post by 3.14159td » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 pm

B00daW wrote:Hrm... Guess life made me miss the boat this time around. Another wave happening after this shipment, perhaps? :/

Really looking for a good dev environment for FDS audio. :)
There was suppose to be a new batch for sale yesterday, it never came. :cry:
I've got a lot of friends that are pissed. I told them about it and almost all of them were going to order one yesterday. (as was i)
They thought they missed them too.
Last edited by 3.14159td on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.