Super Mario Bros 3 Famicom Cartridge Problem

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Albert1983

Super Mario Bros 3 Famicom Cartridge Problem

Post by Albert1983 »

I have this Super Mario Bros 3 cartridge for Famicom that has a problem.

The game works but with vertical stripes on the screen.

I've already cleaned it several times and it's still the same.

WedNESday

Re: Super Mario Bros 3 Famicom Cartridge Problem

Post by WedNESday »

1. Do any other games experience the same problem? What about other games that use the same mapper?

2. Are any of the cartridge's pins damaged in any way? What about the console's?

3. What on earth are you even playing that on? :D
Albert1983

Post by Albert1983 »

WedNESday wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:50 pm 1. Do any other games experience the same problem? What about other games that use the same mapper?
Had no problems with other cartridges. The other cartridges I have are with Mapper NROM, so I don't know if the problem is the Mapper.
WedNESday wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:50 pm 2. Are any of the cartridge's pins damaged in any way? What about the console's?
The pins on the cartridge looked a bit dirty, but I cleaned them several times, but the game still has the same problem.
WedNESday wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:50 pm 3. What on earth are you even playing that on? :D
I'm testing it on a Polystation (Famiclone), I also tried it on a NES with adapter and it looks the same.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Seems to me like the cartridge itself is the problem.

When you say 'a bit dirty' what do you mean exactly? Could you please post some screenshots of the cartridge's pins?
Albert1983

Post by Albert1983 »

WedNESday wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:45 pm Seems to me like the cartridge itself is the problem.

When you say 'a bit dirty' what do you mean exactly? Could you please post some screenshots of the cartridge's pins?

After cleaning it I stay like this.

Also taking a good look at the board, it seems that some of the pins on the chips are also a bit dirty (Doesn't look too good in the photos). That can also affect its performance?
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

It looks to me like you have a problem with, I think, PPU D4, which is pin 60 (unless that's PPU D3, in which case it's pin 29). I'd check this pin, make sure it's as clean as you can get it, and check continuity from it to the CHR-ROM with a multimeter.
Albert1983

Post by Albert1983 »

Fiskbit wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:44 pm It looks to me like you have a problem with, I think, PPU D4, which is pin 60 (unless that's PPU D3, in which case it's pin 29). I'd check this pin, make sure it's as clean as you can get it, and check continuity from it to the CHR-ROM with a multimeter.
Ok, where are those pins located and how do I clean them?