It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:45 am 

I have a prototype cart I'm trying to dump and one of the eproms looks like it's failed. The chip is a TC574000AD. There are 4 like chips on the cart and I can read the other 3 fine. My programmer won't acknowledge the last one- I get a "chip not placed" message. The chip appears externally fine, no indication of damage.

The board will boot and run in a SNES and get through the menus ok but flakes out when you get to the first stage, so it appears the SNES can't read that chip either.

Anything I can do with this personally? Beyond that what are high end options for recovery?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:29 pm 

You can get old-school with some LEDs and switches, and read out a bit of data by going through addresses yourself and looking at the data lines for output. That'll let you know if it's doing anything at all, though that's obviously not a sane way of dumping data (unless you are part of a television show called Halt and Catch Fire...).

If the addressing circuitry is not working but the data may be intact, maybe there is some microscope-based solution for reading the data visually off the die. If it's a really interesting important proto then it may be worth it...