How much to design this for me? PCB Boards best place to buy

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

icemanxp300

Re: How much to design this for me? PCB Boards best place to

Post by icemanxp300 »

I juts felt the need to vent about this eagle program. Apparently in order to draw a trace between connections you need to draw an "electrical connection". NOT available in the free light version. What a waste of time, completely useless.

Seriously what in the hell can you make w/the light version? That's like giving someone a car and telling them to take it for a test drive and placing the car on a small platform with a 20' gap on all sides that prevents you from getting to any roads.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

When it tells you that it can't make an electrical connection, that's because the freeware version only lets you route connections in a 10cm × 8cm area bounded explicitly with X and Y coordinates between 0 and 10 or 8 cm (respectively). You should move the components into the area, and probably use the autorouter... at least until you get sick of the autorouter's incompetence.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

lidnariq wrote:When it tells you that it can't make an electrical connection, that's because the freeware version only lets you route connections in a 10cm × 8cm area bounded explicitly with X and Y coordinates between 0 and 10 or 8 cm (respectively). You should move the components into the area, and probably use the autorouter... at least until you get sick of the autorouter's incompetence.

It doesn't tell me I can't. The icon is not there at all. Since there are no library files for what I need I wanted to use header files. I had 7 pin header and 6 pin headers. I was just going to stack them in a line and connect the leads but it will not let me. I can draw a wire in schematic but that's useless as it does not follow through into the pcb layout.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

By any chance, are you in the schematic editor instead of the board editor?
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

lidnariq wrote:By any chance, are you in the schematic editor instead of the board editor?

I have been in both. I had made this last night in board editor and ran holes and wires and via's but after I got done I realized I did it wrong LOL. I don't think it was correct anyhow as I placed the holes but those would just be holes, no copper circles around the holes like I need for the traces to connect to.

That is why I decided to try and use these header pins as they appear to have what I need. In the schematic I can draw a wire and that is all. Once I click the board only the components transfer not any of the wire connections I make, which I have only done a few as to not waste my time.

Once in board view I can layout the header pins but if I try and draw a wire between connections it errors me and says that must be done in the schematic view. It's very irritating.

My board size is under 10cm x 8cm. I was watching an eagle cad tutorial and it shows him making his connections by "defining an electrical connection" instead of the wire command. Well his icon he uses is not available in the light version so it's impossible to make any traces connect.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Ok, so the flow is:

Draw the schematic. In the schematic you specify that pin X connects to pin Y using the "net" (and optionally the "bus") tool

Convert the schematic to a board. Draw the outline. Place the components. Use the "route" tool or the autorouter to use the connectivity information you specified in the schematic.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

It doesn't let me or I don't know how to define the pins in schematic.

http://schematicpal.com/

Type in "header" and select the M07 and that is the ones I used on the left side. the 1x07 option.

hhhhhh.jpg
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

I found the problem. I was placing the net wire in the wrong spot, plus I needed to decrease grid size to even be allowed to place connections in correct spots.

I sure do hope this is correct. I just ran connections all in schematic. I went into net classes and made width .5mm, drill 1mm, and clearance .5mm I then ran auto router and this is end result?

I have that hole on bottom that is suppose to be 1/4" but it doesn't look like a 1/4" hole in the green pic. I had only shown layers, pads, holes, drills, and vias.

icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

I did mess up the spacing on the right side, going to have to fix that. Tried a few things but rerouting the wires was not working. Maybe try grouping the traces and holes and see what happens?

edit. fixed it. It was easy, just added increased board size slightly and move the right side components and wires over slightly. Grouping them worked. Luckily I still had some room I could play with on the board size.
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

Ok ordered a small run of 10 and they seem to work good. A bit tight but I knew that was going to happen.

I plan on ordering more but I am a bit confused because when I do a 500 order from pcb shopper it tells me $352, however from what I am reading my board should fall under the smaller one of $175.

The board is 2.5"x2.6" which would be 6.35cm x 6.604cm which is just under 42cm. Now unless I am reading this wrong that looks like 25cm squared which would be 625cm? Am I missing something here? Is that not cm squared? It just confuses me as pcb shopper thinks I need the 50 cm squared option.
Attachments
pcbcm.jpg
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

icemanxp300 wrote:Now unless I am reading this wrong that looks like 25cm squared which would be 625cm? Am I missing something here?
Yes, you're misreading it. It's 25 (cm²), not (25cm)².
icemanxp300

Post by icemanxp300 »

lidnariq wrote:
icemanxp300 wrote:Now unless I am reading this wrong that looks like 25cm squared which would be 625cm? Am I missing something here?
Yes, you're misreading it. It's 25 (cm²), not (25cm)².

Deep down that's what I thought they meant, but I was hoping not :) They don't have a space in between the 25 and cm².

So I guess 50cm² is what I need.

On a side not how the hell did you get the superscript 2 to type?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

icemanxp300 wrote:On a side note how the hell did you get the superscript 2 to type?
wikipedia:Compose key

I don't know what the right way is to do the equivalent thing in Windows or OS X, though. In Windows you could memorize some magic numbers and enter it as an wikipedia:Alt code.
nacgu

Re: PCB Boards best place to buy them?

Post by nacgu »

qwertymodo wrote:OSHPark up to a point, but once you hit the $15-$20 size, SeeedStudio/IteadStudio are probably gonna be cheaper, with the trade-off being the increased turnaround time.
I have used Seeed Studio pcb manufacturer for most of my PCB projects, I got qualitity 10 of 10x10cm 2-layer boards for $9.9, shipping is fast and the quality is good, I highly recommend.
Dear.A

Post by Dear.A »

WellPCB is a professional PCB factory which is part of Uniwell Circuits Company. You can also get quick PCB prototype services. This is convenient especially to hobbyists and researchers who need relatively small volumes. Their online platform can be accessed at wellpcb.com. From their website online PCB calculator, manufacturing 10pieces of 100 × 60mm 2 − layer PCB will cost you around $27USD.