NES-001 cap replacement guide for the av power module

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

NES-001 cap replacement guide for the av power module

Post by game-tech.us » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:04 pm

So i've been making an install guide for the hi-def nes kit and one of the things i'm including is instructions for replacing the caps in the av/power module.
I've never had an issue with the rubicons on the main board so i'm not worried about them for now.
I also didn't keep track of what audio caps were 1uF caps vs 10uF caps as i'm just replacing them all with 10uF caps, it won't matter.
Here is what i've found so far, if you have other findings please share!
Mitsumi with nes-cpu-04
Mitsumi with nes-cpu-05,07,08,09,10,11 I never found a rev 06
Alps with nes-cpu-04,06,07 - I never found a rev 05
Alps with nes-cpu-07,08,09,10
Alps with nes-cpu-10,11

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: NES-001 cap replacement guide for the av power module

Post by 3gengames » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Those solder joints are absolutely horrid. I hope that didn't get sent to someone and is a dead unit only for showing stuff.

Post by 2600 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:40 am

game-tech.us wrote: I also didn't keep track of what audio caps were 1uF caps vs 10uF caps as i'm just replacing them all with 10uF caps, it won't matter.
Why do you think substituting a cap won't matter for this circuit? Quick look at the schematic looks like they would act as a filter.

Also, it would of been really useful to keep track of the voltage rating for each cap. The diameter and height of the original caps would of been
useful as well since it is a tight fit.

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:26 am

3gengames wrote:Those solder joints are absolutely horrid. I hope that didn't get sent to someone and is a dead unit only for showing stuff.
Well none of the caps are soldered in, only desoldered holes for ease of picture taking and demonstration.
Any solder joints you see are from the manufacturer.

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

2600 wrote:
game-tech.us wrote: I also didn't keep track of what audio caps were 1uF caps vs 10uF caps as i'm just replacing them all with 10uF caps, it won't matter.
Why do you think substituting a cap won't matter for this circuit? Quick look at the schematic looks like they would act as a filter.

Also, it would of been really useful to keep track of the voltage rating for each cap. The diameter and height of the original caps would of been
I think the 2 audio caps are just to separate the signals between rf circuitry and line output, dc blockers?
Also i've seen both sizes in the same places on different versions of the modules. Mostly it's just easier to use one size if it's not going to hurt anything.
Good point about size, but I found a variety of diameters on the 100uFs and there's usually more than enough room for fatter caps inside, so as long as they are 16V or higher on the 7805 input and 6.3V or higher on the output you should be fine.
I'm betting height will restrict you from going too high on voltage.
The 10uF caps I went for 50v there, but i'm betting that's overkill and they still fit physically and didn't cost more.
Height needs to be 11mm or less on the 100uF and 10uF caps.

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 am

game-tech.us wrote:
3gengames wrote:Those solder joints are absolutely horrid. I hope that didn't get sent to someone and is a dead unit only for showing stuff.
Well none of the caps are soldered in, only desoldered holes for ease of picture taking and demonstration.
Weird, because on the right side, they literally change between every picture. You burn all the flux off, make cold solder joints, and all of that definitely isn't original. It's horrible. Plus, there's so much flux cooked on the PCB because of excess heat being used. Wow, what a disaster.

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:26 am

3gengames wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:
Weird, because on the right side, they literally change between every picture. You burn all the flux off, make cold solder joints, and all of that definitely isn't original. It's horrible. Plus, there's so much flux cooked on the PCB because of excess heat being used. Wow, what a disaster.
Do I need to be clearer? I only desolderd the caps, where the red circles are, I didn't solder or desolder anything else.
Maybe you are seeing the hand soldered joints from the manufacturer, like the audio video jack connections?

Post by 2600 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:13 pm

game-tech.us wrote:
2600 wrote:

I think the 2 audio caps are just to separate the signals between rf circuitry and line output, dc blockers?
Also i've seen both sizes in the same places on different versions of the modules. Mostly it's just easier to use one size if it's not going to hurt anything.
That would change the frequency cutoff point on the High Pass Filter.
Good point about size, but I found a variety of diameters on the 100uFs and there's usually more than enough room for fatter caps inside, so as long as they are 16V or higher on the 7805 input and 6.3V or higher on the output you should be fine.
Did you pick that voltage or was that what the capacitors had labeled on them? Seems odd that Nintendo would pick that voltage level for those. Industry standard is to pick a capacitor voltage 2-2.5x the working voltage for Electrolytic caps, ie a 16Vdc cap is commonly used on a 5Vdc circuit.

game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm

2600 wrote: Did you pick that voltage or was that what the capacitors had labeled on them? Seems odd that Nintendo would pick that voltage level for those. Industry standard is to pick a capacitor voltage 2-2.5x the working voltage for Electrolytic caps, ie a 16Vdc cap is commonly used on a 5Vdc circuit.
Again it depends on the module, some had 6.3v on the 5v rail, some had 16v, some had 25v.
Even the top loader's 100uF cap on the 5v rail is only 6.3v.
Maybe it's a cost cutting scheme?

I'm not trying to argue i'm right about any of this though as i'm not an authority on electronics...

BennVenn

Post by BennVenn » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:53 am

3gengames wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:
You must be looking at different images to me...

Or your trolling...

syboxez

Post by syboxez » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Here is my NES-CPU-11 with Alps module. This includes capacitor voltage and polarity, although my camera is complete crap.
Also showing off my l33t KolourPaint skills.
Attachments
NES-CPU-11-Alps.jpg

CZroe

Post by CZroe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:03 am

Think a caption will fix this problem?
https://youtu.be/2eUk-f1W_Fo

Black and white video. I swapped the main board capacitors, trim capacitor, and clock generator from a known-good console with no effect. Would've swapped the PPU too but my desoldering iron crapped out. :(

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 am

Have you tried adjusting the trim cap, or just swapping it? It looks like a small adjustment will fix the problem.

CZroe

Post by CZroe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:38 am

Joe wrote:Have you tried adjusting the trim cap, or just swapping it? It looks like a small adjustment will fix the problem.
Yes. I both adjusted the old one and swapped with a known-good console. What I didn't do was service the RF module (didn't swap or replace capacitors). One of mine was Alps and the other Mitsumi (can't remember which).

BTW, my phone auto-corrected "cap job" to "caption" earlier. Oops. :)

groove

Post by groove » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 am

For those who completely remove the power module for recapping: when reattaching, are there any tips for getting good, evenly melted solder joints around those four big grounding tabs?