MMC5 pinout error on wiki?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

plgDavid

MMC5 pinout error on wiki?

Post by plgDavid »

Hello

Was investigating an issue I have with a MMC5 test cart (Just Breed - HVC-EKROM-01) and noticed the pinout on http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/MMC5_pinout didn't list a !ROMSEL entry.

I continuity tested it from pin 44 from the famicom connector straight to MMC5 pin 78 (just right from M2), which is non connected (NC) in the wiki. Error, oversight, or its this way on other boards? (doubtful)

Thanks
lidnariq

Re: MMC5 pinout error on wiki?

Post by lidnariq »

I consider the MMC5 pinout on the wiki to be pretty dubious right now; when tracing pictures I keep on finding weird discrepancies.

In any case, I just measured a copy of Laser Invasion (NES-ELROM-01) and found the same connectivity that you did, so I'll add that.
plgDavid

Post by plgDavid »

lidnariq wrote:I consider the MMC5 pinout on the wiki to be pretty dubious right now; when tracing pictures I keep on finding weird discrepancies.

In any case, I just measured a copy of Laser Invasion (NES-ELROM-01) and found the same connectivity that you did, so I'll add that.
Thanks for confirming!
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Differences of MMC5B should also be figured out. Possibly there is no differences visible to software in which case submapper numbers are not needed (although the wiki should describe the differences anyways); if MMC5B does have differences which are visible in software then possibly the remaining bit of my proposal of MMC5 submapper number can be assigned for this purpose (using a convention that if the bit is clear is whichever one is compatible with all existing games, if possible).
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)