It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:40 pm 

jmr wrote:
Super Mario Bros. 3

Well, there are two ACE tricks in SMB3 that were well-publicized recently. I wonder if they'll fix them/how long before someone uses this to load new things into the system (or, at least, into RAM.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:13 pm 

Myask wrote:
Well, there are two ACE tricks in SMB3 that were well-publicized recently. I wonder if they'll fix them/how long before someone uses this to load new things into the system (or, at least, into RAM.)

LOL, would give tepples an excuse to have an 8k compo. (All games would have to use the SMB3 CHR too.)

That trick depends on being able to poll the controller multiple times per frame, which a lot of emulators won't do, though. I'd say there's a high chance the NES mini wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:34 pm 

The beat-in-2-seconds one does, sure. But I said two tricks. The (usu. 7-4) pipe wrong-warp does not require fast controller input to execute.

And it would only need to use the SMB3 CHR if they can't write outerbank, and it's using true bankswitch instead of something else.

Of course, that then requires another ACE exploit…
Quote:
10k, though it comes out of RAM.

Hmm. I wonder how many games rely on RAM being mirrored over $0800-1FFF.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 pm 

Myask wrote:
The beat-in-2-seconds one does, sure. But I said two tricks. The (usu. 7-4) pipe wrong-warp does not require fast controller input to execute.

Ah, I'd forgotten that one.

Myask wrote:
And it would only need to use the SMB3 CHR if they can't write outerbank, and it's using true bankswitch instead of something else.

I don't understand what that means. SMB3 is CHR-ROM with MMC3, is it not? Do I misunderstand the mapper's capabilities? What's the "outerbank"?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 pm 

Outer bank as in like a multicart, though I suppose doing it that way would be more work than just having an emulator run different ROMs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 am 

I think there's about a 0 % chance that Nintendo is using some kind of "supermapper" on this thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:43 am 

The new miniature NES is not a repro console and should not be titled as such in the thread title.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:53 am 

I wish they'd just make actual reproductions of the console and carts instead. I do understand however that there is a sizable initial fee to setup the infrastructure to mass produce a custom chip (friend of mine once had to get some custom chips made). Not that Nintendo couldn't take the hit especially with the aforementioned Pokemon Go success.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:20 am 

A lot of the Pokémon GO money goes to Niantic, Creatures, and Game Freak.

Nintendo does what maximizes its own profit, and as of right now, it thinks a console with built-in games will bridge the revenue gap between the Wii U and the NX. If you want a famiclone, you know where to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:27 am 

tepples wrote:
A lot of the Pokémon GO money goes to Niantic, Creatures, and Game Freak.

I heard Nintendo only gets about 15-20% of the profit. Even if this game is very popular, who even knows how much money it makes, as it seems it doesn't have adds, only micro transactions that don't really seem necessary. (Of course, I've never played the game, so correct me if I'm wrong.)

tepples wrote:
it thinks a console with built-in games will bridge the revenue gap between the Wii U and the NX.

I'm not sure it knows what it's doing at this point...
tepples wrote:
If you want a famiclone, you know where to find it.

The question is, who wants one? :lol:

Nintendo seems to be really focused on filling this "gap", when I think they should just suck it up and take losses. I'm talking about the NX, that will inevitably do the same thing wrong that the Wii U did: come out considerably earlier than the competition and look really outdated in comparison to the competitor's hardware, and come out with no games, most likely due to its early release. I have a feeling that this odd release date was them trying to separate themselves from the pack which worked for the Wii, but the Wii's success was really based on luck. I don't know how Nintendo didn't take notice that people stopped playing their Wiis within a year.

If Nintendo wants the NX to succeed, it's got to have Spla2n as a launch title. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:57 am 

tepples wrote:
Nintendo does what maximizes its own profit, and as of right now, it thinks a console with built-in games will bridge the revenue gap between the Wii U and the NX.

I understand the economic argument; they do have a duty to their shareholders first and foremost.

tepples wrote:
If you want a famiclone, you know where to find it.

On a related side note; is there anyone manufacturing new PPU's and 2A03's?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:46 pm 

There was never a source for 2A03s and 2C02s other than pulls. (Nintendo and Ricoh didn't leave much slop at the time).

You can apparently get "new old stock" discrete famiclone ICs (e.g. UA6527+UA6528; UA6527P+UA6538).

And you can fairly easily still get new NES-on-a-Chips (try searching alibaba/aliexpress for "famicom"), but they're much harder to use as anything but an NES/Famicom.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:51 pm 

There's been number of "FPGA NES" projects in recent years. I suspect sooner or later somebody's going to release an open source one of decent quality, or even start selling a proprietary one, if this hasn't happened already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:58 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
There's been number of "FPGA NES" projects in recent years. I suspect sooner or later somebody's going to release an open source one of decent quality, or even start selling a proprietary one, if this hasn't happened already.

On that note, I'm surprised this isn't a public community NESDev project yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:22 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:

Bunnyboy over at NintendoAge has done just that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next