It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
koitsu wrote:
There aren't commercial games (that I know of) which use more than 8KBytes.

Bootgod's database can answer questions like this. Here's a list of games with WRAM larger than 8k:
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/search.php?wram_op=%3E%60%40%60&wram=8&field=2

Wow, a lot more than I thought. Koei strikes again! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 pm 

Nice. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try out this mapper set when i get out of work tonight. I was searching answers for this problem a couple days and didn't find anything until i started using the 32k save. Have other people tried this workaround before?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:46 pm 

drrainbows wrote:
Nice. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try out this mapper set when i get out of work tonight. I was searching answers for this problem a couple days and didn't find anything until i started using the 32k save. Have other people tried this workaround before?

Probably, but note that the thread you bumped is 6 years old. The last RetroUSB mapper 4 version was from 2009. Loopy's version is from 2011 (and it solved the problem). Thefox's latest version is from 2015.

So... maybe somebody did discover this 32k workaround 6 years ago but it hasn't been relevant in a very long time? Maybe relevant for people that get their mappers only from RetroUSB and never knew about the upgrades, but I think most people discover the others... Dunno why RetroUSB doesn't mention them on its site, they add value to the product.

I think I recall asking BunnyBoy about it years ago and he said something like "oh, maybe I should add loopy's mappers to the package", and then he never did. :P

Anyhow, to reiterate, just in case my previous advice was lost in the edit, but to get the current "best" mapper set:

1. Install last version of PowerPak mappers: https://www.retrousb.com/downloads/POWERPAK134105.zip
2. Install on top Loopy's mappers: http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip
3. Install on top PowerMappers: https://kkfos.aspekt.fi/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 pm 

What notable games have these mapper updates improved?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:08 pm 

To answer your question I'd have to test hundreds of games with different versions of the mappers. Honestly I can't even begin to answer that, that's a million hour research question. New mappers were created when bugs or other needs were found in some games. What those specific bugs were, I'm not the person to ask; I didn't make the mappers, and I have not spent much time testing old versions to see what was broken on them.

The wiki has lists of the mappers in each package:
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PowerPak

Each mapper that was updated affects all games using that mapper. If you want to find a list of games with a specific mapper, use Bootgod's database:
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/

Whether or not it "improves" a game depends on whether the previous version of a mapper had bugs. Apparently mapper 4 save RAM had problems in the last RetroUSB version. For me, the PowerMapper also solves a "shaky screen" problem for that mapper. The PowerMapper set also adds a menu (to some mappers) that you can get to with SELECT + START that lets you exit back to the PowerPak menu or use savestates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:17 am 

drrainbows wrote:
Earthbound Zero (Demiforce v1.01 Hack-2) (U) patched with the sprite restore IPS

Isn't Demiforce's "Zero" hack obsolete? It was to take care of the anti-piracy screen in various places of the game (like at the live house), but modern emulators and flashcarts shouldn't trigger it anyway AFAIK.
I remember playing the clean prototype ROM many years ago on an emulator (it was long before the Powerpak or Everdrive came) to the end without ever triggering it. It was probably with FCEUltra or Nestopia but I don't remember.

I guess the sprite restore patch is to decensor cigarettes, nipples etc on enemy sprites.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 am 

Hi. Please tell me where I can download 32KBsave file for powerpak?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:10 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Recommend taking latest retroUSB mapper set, copying loopy's mappers on top of that, then copying PowerMappers on top of that. (This seems to be the "best" set of mappers.)

This. I had problems saving games, period, even the .srm files I renamed to .sav from my desktop emulators. Cleaned the POWERPACK folder on my CF card, reloaded RetroUSB's 1.34 mappers. That fixed most of my games (my Zelda and Ys saves finally!) except for, most notably, Crystalis. Once I copied PowerMapers v23 on top of my existing mappers my Crystalis save issue was fixed after this. I can now power off my AVS and finally reload my saved games once I power back on. Thanks!

Holy crap, just realized this was my first post. Took me 7 months...