It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm 

So it appears I should have kept my mouth shut until I got my copy of Quest Forge at least.. A month after my purchase I messaged piko asking when I can expect my copy. Didn't get a reply, just a refund, and no reply to my follow up message inquiring about the refund. So I guess I'm officially black listed from playing piko released games unless I buy second hand or pirate... Looks like there's a limited edition up on ebay now I'll have to keep my eye on. Appears piko sells QF through ebay as well, but I assume my purchase would get immediately refunded there as well. I just want to play the game!

BacteriaMage wrote:
Thanks! I wasn't clear on your answer but my question was ambiguously stated. I know the ROM would be safe once extracted. What I meant to ask was: Is it safe for my Kazzo (and me as the operator) to connect the cartridge to the Kazzo to extract the ROM? Is the Kazzo tolerant to the board's design or could it also be damaged? Moot point now though since I've already done it.

Oh right, the current kazzo design has 5v i/o so technically it will have some of the same concerns as 5v consoles. However considering it only takes a min or less to dump I wouldn't be too worried about it. That's not long enough for any overheating concerns like there is for playing the game for hours on end in a console.

Fisher wrote:
I'm really curious about the quality of retro titles that are being (re)released now.

My copy of Mystery World Dizzy arrived this week. The quality of printed materials and everything is top notch. But I was rather disappointed to find the same Chinese board inside the cartridge though. Guess it all makes sense though as piko branding was on the back label so they produced the carts per what appears standard procedure now. Safe to say fusion retro books & Oliver twins don't realize the hardware decisions/risks much like ludosity I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:17 am 

I was curious about Watermelon Games' PCBs.
So I searched a little and found some pictures:
Attachment:
File comment: Back
2zqeae1.jpg
2zqeae1.jpg [ 423.12 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Front - Epoxy
20sf2ib.jpg
20sf2ib.jpg [ 431.84 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Front free
vSjowIZ.jpg
vSjowIZ.jpg [ 561.57 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Is it dangerous?
I think the CPLD is 5v tolerant, but what about the straight connections to the ROM?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 am 

It looks like all the signals go through the MAX 2, so the ROM should be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 pm 

Thanks!
It's nice to known these games are (or at least should be) safe! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 am 

Fisher wrote:
I was curious about Watermelon Games' PCBs.

dbelectronics found his glob top WMgames cart to be excessively hot while playing and found the 5v signals were getting clipped due to 3v clamping diodes. It was one of the motivating factors for him writing his article, but nice to see some of the carts appear to handle translation properly.

infiniteneslives wrote:
So I guess I'm officially black listed from playing piko released games unless I buy second hand or pirate... Looks like there's a limited edition up on ebay now I'll have to keep my eye on.

I missed out on the ebay auction, but I heard back from the developer and they were able to help me so I'm a happy camper now. ;)