It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:45 am
Posts: 3
Hey, as the title states, that is the issue. With a few Famicom games the save feature doesn't work. I know people who have created "hacks" where it gets the feature to work I have one for Famicom Super Mario 2, but I am not sure how to go about creating it for these games. I am not sure if there is some "global" IPS patch I can use on certain roms, or what?

These are the games I can't get the save/load feature to work on. The games play, and load up fine, just no access to the save states

Holy Diver
Bird Week
King Kong 2
Goonies
The Mysterious Murasame
Splatterhouse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5313
Location: Canada
  • Holy Diver - Mapper 78
  • Bird Week - Mapper 185
  • King Kong 2 - Mapper 75
  • Goonies - Mapper 87
  • The Mysterious Murasame - FDS
  • Splatterhouse - Mapper 210

None of these mappers are in the Power Mappers set. (List here.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:45 am
Posts: 3
I am not familiar with how this all works, or mappers, or why some things don't work. The info you gave me reinwarrior makes no sense to me :(

There has to be a work a round, because I know Holy Diver has a version where the save feature works, but causes some graphical glitches on a few things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5313
Location: Canada
A "mapper" is a term for the hardware that was originally used for a game's cartridge. We numbered them to keep track of them (because there's a lot of them).

The Power Mappers set that thefox made only covers about 15 of the most common mappers, which probably covers 90% of games. The other 10% are falling back to whatever other mapper set you had on your PowerPak underneath it.

The Power Mappers save state feature only works with its own mappers. If it's not one of those, there's no support. There's no "work around".


I think the Holy Diver thing you're referring to is this ROMhack which changes the mapper to Mapper 1 (a.k.a. MMC1). Since the mapper is changed to a common one, it should work with the Power Mappers, but I don't know what else had to change to make it work. (You mentioned graphical glitches.)

Doing a mapper-change ROM hack generally requires a lot of expert knowledge, and a lot of time. People do it usually because they're desperate to make a repro of it and can't find donor carts that support the obscure mapper. (e.g. Holy Diver's mapper was only used for 2 games in Japan, so there's no option to repro it using a "common" game as a donor.)

Unfortunately the Power Mappers aren't open source, so adding new mappers to its set that support its savestate features may also be difficult.

So... I don't think you have many good options available to you here for getting savestates, other than playing on an emulator instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:45 am
Posts: 3
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I am totally screwed. Emulation is not an option in this circumstance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 18522
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Mapper 185 games such as Bird Week should be hackable to mapper 0 or 3 with little effort: find the DRM crap by trapping writes in a debugging emulator, then NOP it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5313
Location: Canada
The Everdrive N8 has a save state feature for a lot of its mappers- not all of them, but many more than thefox's Power Mappers set includes. (There's a list on the linked page.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ccovell and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group