It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 pm 

I've got my HiDefNES installed in my front loader and all seemed to be fine. After a few hours of playtime the image starting scrolling left and wrapping around the right side of the screen. I have no idea what's causing the issue. I resoldered everything and the issue stopped, but when I started it up today the image was scrolling again. Again I resoldered and it's working now, but I'd like to find the cause so I fix it for good.

I should note that the pads for pins 15 and 19 on the PPU were partially pulled. No idea if this is the cause of my issue. There is some metal there and the solder joint seems stable. I'd just run a wire from the pins to ensure a solid connection, but I can't read these NES schematics to save my life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 pm 

jross12385 wrote:
I've got my HiDefNES installed in my front loader and all seemed to be fine. After a few hours of playtime the image starting scrolling left and wrapping around the right side of the screen. I have no idea what's causing the issue. I resoldered everything and the issue stopped, but when I started it up today the image was scrolling again. Again I resoldered and it's working now, but I'd like to find the cause so I fix it for good.

I should note that the pads for pins 15 and 19 on the PPU were partially pulled. No idea if this is the cause of my issue. There is some metal there and the solder joint seems stable. I'd just run a wire from the pins to ensure a solid connection, but I can't read these NES schematics to save my life.

Pin 15 of the PPU is not important, it and pins 14, 16 and 17 were grounded on the NES and are only connected to the Hi-Def NES mainboard, so if you pull those pads, it doesn't matter. Pin 19 of the PPU goes to pin 33 of the CPU, so you may need to run a patch wire.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 pm 

Glad to hear that! If that is indeed whats causing my image scrolling issue then thats a quick fix. Thank you!

Edit: My NES is still working fine after that last resolder, so I probably shouldn't mess with it unless it happens again. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm 

Quick update:
I went ahead and ran patch wires for both pins. Everything is still working great. I decided to check the composite out so I could show a friend the difference in quality, but my composite out isnt working correctly. I'm not at all worried about it as my NES will probably never use anything other than HDMI now, but I'd like to get it working if I can. I removed Q1 and bridged the outside holes, and removed R2, as instructed in the guide at https://www.Game-Tech.us. I'll link a pic of the issue I'm having.
http://i.imgur.com/JPsAAN0.jpg
The colors on the pic turned out weird. The Kirby shaped blob should be white, and the background is black.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:07 am 

jross12385 wrote:
Quick update:
I went ahead and ran patch wires for both pins. Everything is still working great. I decided to check the composite out so I could show a friend the difference in quality, but my composite out isnt working correctly. I'm not at all worried about it as my NES will probably never use anything other than HDMI now, but I'd like to get it working if I can. I removed Q1 and bridged the outside holes, and removed R2, as instructed in the guide at https://www.Game-Tech.us. I'll link a pic of the issue I'm having.
http://i.imgur.com/JPsAAN0.jpg
The colors on the pic turned out weird. The Kirby shaped blob should be white, and the background is black.

That is how the Hi-Def NES mod is supposed to work. It uses the composite signal to distinguish background tiles from sprite tiles by turning background tiles black and sprite tiles white. Then the FPGA on the Hi-Def NES board will use this information, along with other information obtained from intercepting data being sent to the PPU to determine the color of the pixels to be shown via the HDMI connection. You should be able to get your composite colors back by turning off the Hi-Def NES, and I think it is done by unplugging your HDMI cable from console or TV.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm 

You're absolutely right. It works perfectly when I unplug the HDMI. Thanks for all you help!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:05 pm 

Well the image scrolling issue is back, and resoldering the CPU/PPU pins didn't fix it this time. Anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?