[SOLVED] FDS Drive unable to save in-game data to disk

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

EdGe7x

[SOLVED] FDS Drive unable to save in-game data to disk

Post by EdGe7x »

Any reason why when I try to save game data I get error 26?

This is the same 7201 drive I recently modded for full disk writing using FDSstick's disk writing functionality.

I can write any game to my disk without any problems but as soon as I try to do an in-game save (i.e. Zelda, Metroid, Akumajou Dracula, etc...), it fails with error 26.

Err. 26 = Unable to write to disk card

Thanks!
Last edited by EdGe7x on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EdGe7x

Re: FDS Drive unable to in-save game data to disk

Post by EdGe7x »

I thought perhaps I should provide additional information...

I am using a US NES Toploader w/ a 72 to 60 pin converter obtained from a Wrecking Crew cart.
The converter is modified to allow expansion audio to go from FC pin 46 to NES pin 51 (working)
My Top Loader is modified to pass the Expansion Audio (working)

Since I can save in-game data using the FDSstick as the drive emulator I am assuming the ability for the NES/Ram adapter to send write data to the drive works fine.

Since I can write games to the disk carts using my FDSstick and the 7201 drive with power board mod, I am assuming that the drive has the ability to write to disk carts.

The possibility exists that the disk cart is somehow defective but I happen to obtain this disk (Konami Exciting Soccer) brand new. It was completely sealed and had the Diskun Void sticker intact. So although I am hoping it is the disk cart, the chances are low since it was new and I can write games to it without any problems.

Nonetheless, I should be getting a bunch more disks in the next 2-3 weeks so I can continue my testing.

When using FMC Disk Card Checker v1.3, one side usually fails with error 26.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Tomy

Re: FDS Drive unable to save in-game data to disk

Post by Tomy »

Hi,

I have some information to tell you. But it is not the same case as you.

When I first touch about 3206 modchip some years ago, it is from Taiwan. It is quite good because it don't need to cut any wires on the drive board. Then I make my own 3206 modchip V1. It need to cut two wires. If I use my chip and I don't cut two wires. Then it will be same as your case. It can full write disk image to disk, but it can not save in-game.

So, I want to ask, you sure your drive have 7201 chip inside ? And please provide the picture of your modded power board.
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Hi Tomy,

Yes, I'm sure as you can see from my picture, but that is very interesting. I have done everything that I can to make this work. Like I said I am almost sure the disk is ok but you never fully know. I can write the file using FDSstick and I can read it and the file is 100% the same using a Hex Editor compare. So unless the drive can detect copied games, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am ordering a 3206 drive so I will use the Modchip V3 I just bought from you. Hopefully this will work.
Attachments
20170228_202715.jpg
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Here is the picture of my modded power board per the instructions on Famicom World for FMD-POWER-04. Jumper 14 from the front has also been removed.
Attachments
20170228_203720.jpg
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

Hello,

I just checked your picture. It is same as me. You do the thing right. Strange, it is not work.

About my V3 chip :
V3 chip is better than V1 & V2 chip.
1) It no need to cut any wires on the Drive PCB.
2) It support both fdsstick and fdsemu.
3) It support Copymaster.
4) It support MGD1.
5) It support Tonkachi Editor for single file rewriting.

Your problem is number 5), because you can not write single file on disk. So, you can not save in game. If you have time, please download Tonkachi Editor, then try to edit and save single file. I believe it can not save file.

If you have extra power board, please exchange it with your power board 4. Or remove your power board mod, return it to original. See if it can save in game or not.

You ordered V3 chip ? I can't find your order.
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Hi Tomy,

Thank you so much for your information. It is greatly appreciated.

So you believe my problem is the power board and not the drive? Very interesting.

Well, I am also going to order a new power board. It should be a 01 so I don't have to do any modding.

I will definitely try the Tonkachi Editor tonight when I get home but I already expect it to fail.

Here is the most strange part... I did already return the power board back to original and I still have the same problem. That means that the drive probably came with this problem. :?

Anyway, I don't think there is much else I can do except wait for new power board unless you have other ideas that I can do to my power board.

Oh, about my Modchip v3, I should have said "the Modchip V3 I 'recently' bought from you." I bought a V2 chip and then found out you had V3, then I emailed you and you changed it out for a V3! I already have the Modchip V3... I bought it around Chinese New Year and with a different email. It came very fast from HK... wow!

One more question... Is there a program that tells you the motor speed that works without a Game Doctor/Copy Master 1.1? Since your Copy Master 1.1 doesn't work without a Game Doctor, I want to know if there is a different way.
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

Hello,

You return your power board v4 to original still have problem. Then I believe your 7201 drive is no problem because you can write disk via fdsstick. Then I think maybe your ram adapter cable problem. One signal pin from pin 5 is "WRITE DATA". If this pin broken or bad contact, it will fault to write file. Please check it clear.

At the moment, no tools can test speed of fds drive. You need Doctor with Copy Master v1.1
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Hi Tomy,

I also thought this may be the issue but if I use the FDSstick as the drive emulator... I can do in-game saving. Does that not mean that the RAM adapter cable is good? I mean using it like in this picture. I can play and do in-game saving this way... just not to the drive. If pin 5 on the RAM adapter was bad... then I should not be able to do in-game saving with the FDSstick as drive.

If pin 5 on the FDS drive was bad... then I would not be able to write to disk... correct?

So either way... I'm stuck, but I will test continuity.
Attachments
fdsstick_console_small.jpg
Last edited by EdGe7x on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Tomy wrote:Hello,

At the moment, no tools can test speed of fds drive. You need Doctor with Copy Master v1.1
I understand you are a programmer/engineer... maybe you could make one? :wink:
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

Ah, I forgot you mention it above. Yes, if it work with fdsstick mean pin 5 should be good. Then I have no idea why. Waitting for your test.

Yes, I nearly disassemble whole Copy Master v1.1 very long time ago. But no time to convert it to normal fds format. Too busy for this. Maybe later.
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Ok... I have no idea how to use Tonkachi Editor. I cant read the text.

My test for continuity for pin 5 was good. See picture, I am going from RAM adapter board(Orange wire) to power board.
Attachments
20170301_182735.jpg
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

I believe the reason I wasn't able to test Tonkachi Editor very well is because it detects it cannot modify the disk and asks me to Eject the disk right away.

If I send an image using the FDSstick, I was able to get to the area where I can modify file using hex.

I give up... I'm just going to have to wait until I get my new power board and 3206 drive.
EdGe7x

Post by EdGe7x »

Holy crap!!! Problem solved!

I went to bed all bummed that I have not been able to fix this issue and I woke up with a possible solution.

POWER!!!

Yes, power... something told me to look at my A.C. adapter. The required power consumption for this device is 9V 400ma. The adapter I was using was a universal 3-12V @ 500ma. I would think this is enough... but I figured i would still try something different. I used a second NES adapter with 9V @ 850ma... and it WORKED!

Now sometimes I was also using batteries this whole time but I bought cheap batteries... probably not giving enough current.

Tested it with Zelda and Metroid. Works good.

So the moral of this story... don't buy cheap batteries and don't use the minimum current. :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:
Attachments
20170303_190210.jpg
Tomy

Re: [SOLVED] FDS Drive unable to save in-game data to disk

Post by Tomy »

Great ! Glad to see you fixed the problem.