NES frontloader bottom Expansion port dimensions

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

NES frontloader bottom Expansion port dimensions

Post by Myask »

Do we know the thickness of board intended for (or just "what works", as no known official devices exist) for this port?

Pin pitch?

Note to self: expansion port can directly bus-conflict with controllers.
infiniteneslives

Re: NES frontloader bottom Expansion port dimensions

Post by infiniteneslives »

You need a female card edge connector to properly connect. Sounds like you're thinking the console has a female connector, and a PCB could be inserted.

Chances of finding a proper female connector to fit without modification is probably slim to none. Chykin's (sp?) ENIO adapter was created by modification of what I assume is a standard TE connectivity card edge connector. The clearances are not forgiving at all. He had to saw up the connector into two separate pieces to get the proper gap, and sand/trim all outer edges to get it to fit.

I've been trying to come up with some ideas of a connector that is *somewhat* easy to manufacture. Main motive for most people is simply to have a solderless audio mod. This simplifies things a little as one only has to mate to two pins on the one side.

I got some N64 female connectors from aliexpress recently that don't seem too far off, some machining would still be necessary though to make it fit properly. Not sure how much more/less machining than TE's offerings or other random connectors out there. Having something that fits the extra thick male edge connector on the console would be very helpful. Then perhaps one could get by leaving the connector as one piece and only need to sand/trim the outer edges or cut out extra pins due to being too long.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers