It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:50 am 

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Nintendo-S ... B0002U28TY

I had one of these before, and for anyone who's never used one before, I can say it works surprisngly well! It essentially works just like the NES/FC EverDrive N8's save state support

The downfalls are:
- You can't change the game
- You can't unplug the console unless you're willing to use 6x AA batteries
- It's very inconvenient to put SNES carts in
- It's very bulky

I wish a modern version would be made, or even possibly have its technology implemented in a new Super EverDrive revision or in the SD2SNES.

Here's what I envision a modern version should have:
- Vertical cartridge slot, essentially look like a Game Genie
- SD or microSD card slot for the save state files to save on
- Detect every game you play and let you change carts out so that your save state files will still be on the SD card when you play another game.
- Load up the save states from the SD card for when you put back a game you were previously playing
- No AA batteries! I imagine it wouldn't need any batteries if it's using an SD card

Why hasn't any third party company thought up of a new, modern one? It would sell like hotcakes, especially if it works just as well as that 23 year old one (or even better). A lot of old surplus Nakitek SNES Gamer Savers do sell.

If I were an engineer I would certainly try and design something like this, but alas I'm no engineer at all...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 am 
Site Admin

The Game Doctor SNES copiers also supported save states, and from what I've heard, it's actually the Game Doctor chip in that Naki device. I've used the GD, if it works the same I'd say it's on the finicky side. Namely that it can't save/restore the state of the SPC (audio CPU). If you do a load while the same music is playing, in the same level or whatever, it's fine. Otherwise you end up with the wrong music, no music until the game reloads the music, or worst-case a crashed SPC.

Maybe a modern device could work better, but the audio save/restore is an issue. Problem is, the SNES CPU can't directly read the SPC memory. If you load a program into the SPC to dump itself, then you're also overwriting the memory that you wanted to dump. So making it work cleanly becomes a matter of game-specific hacks. Unless someone else knows of a better way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 am 

Either of the Super UFO 7/8 copiers (whether old FDD or new SD-card units) have the same kind of save state function, which works well enough for most games. Of course, there's no getting around the SPC issue, but otherwise I use this feature quite a bit in my UFO, regardless of how modern people pooh-pooh the UFO due to its ancient design.