[Kazzo] Anago stops on dumping CHR

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

MLX

[Kazzo] Anago stops on dumping CHR

Post by MLX »

So I have a weird problem, trying to dump a previously completly undocumented unlicensed game by Dragon Co.
From what I know, all Dragon Co games run on mapper 4, so I expect this one as well but it refuses to dump. It will always stop when trying to dump the CHR with a "libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: atached device not working correctly (…)" or "no error" (with the script ending early/not generating a ROM, heh).
Setting a CHR size of 0 generated a working PRG rom with mmc3_v2 script and it plays fine (screen all black, music plays, buttons reacts etc.)

The error is also generated with any other script. Yes, even with the NROM script and that's weird part. I could see it working on some MMC3 variant and eventually not dump correctly with mmc3_v2.ad but all of them terminating when trying to dump the CHR? No.
Anago also often returns "maybe cartridge connection error" while the pins are super clean and seems to be perfectly aligned with the connector. All my other cartridges dumps fine and aren't so picky regarding the position in the connector.

I can provide the PRG if necessary.
PCB:
Front: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... g-5819.jpg (the capacitor is actually connected, I checked it with a voltmeter)
Back: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... g-5820.jpg

For anyone curious, the game is called "Panda Baby" and it's a fairly bad Donkey Kong Country backport. Here's some terrible gameplay I just recorded after receiving the game. The game has really poor collision detection as well (you can see me experiencing it multiple time there).
Last edited by MLX on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lidnariq

Re: [Kazzo] Anago stops on dumping CHR

Post by lidnariq »

The libusb error implies that the Kazzo took too long to do something and Windows's USB stack timed out.
MLX

Post by MLX »

I'm guessing the mapper is doing something weird but I still don't get why NROM won't even work. The kazzo is fine, I can dump my other cartridges perfectly.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

Maybe there is some kind of protection - if you don't set proper values of some bits in CHR register, internal diodes conduct high current which causes drop of voltage in cartridge (and Kazzo) and causes Kazzo to reset?
Do you hear windows' beep when you start dumping CHR which signals that device has been removed from USB for a while?
MLX

Post by MLX »

I haven't noticed windows seeing the device as unplugged for a short time. I could even press the dump button again miliseconds after the error from the previous attempt, led to the same point.
MLX

Post by MLX »

So the game was finally dumped.

Very curiously, CaH4e3 was unable to dump the PRG with his tools, yet he could get a constant CHR. So exactly the reverse situation than with a Kazzo. So fortunately we could combine both to get a working dump. Weird! It seems the connector pins has non standard spacing or the PROMs used are really low quality. Game is standard MMC3.