Reprogram a chinese snes repro

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

majorspawn

Reprogram a chinese snes repro

Post by majorspawn »

Hi Guys,

would it be possible to reprogram a chinese snes repro as below?

its got 6 pins at the front and 6 at the back, assuming these correlate to pin-outs that can attach to a programmer adapter to wipe and reprogram the 29lv640ett

the reason why i wanted to do this is the cart came with a beta version of ChronoTrigger - Crimson Echoes which i wanted to update to a newer version
lidnariq

Re: Reprogram a chinese snes repro

Post by lidnariq »

Don't use that cart in your SNES! It'll slowly destroy it. https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=16213
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Maybe that's why Capcom said that the new relase of Street Fighter II can make the SNES catch fire?
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

Fisher wrote:Maybe that's why Capcom said that the new relase of Street Fighter II can make the SNES catch fire?
Nope, those are level-shifted rather than directly connecting the console up to wrong-voltage parts and are perfectly safe.
majorspawn

Post by majorspawn »

NovaSquirrel wrote:
Fisher wrote:Maybe that's why Capcom said that the new relase of Street Fighter II can make the SNES catch fire?
Nope, those are level-shifted rather than directly connecting the console up to wrong-voltage parts and are perfectly safe.
That's reassuring, can it be reprogrammed?
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I don't think anyone would really want to reprogram a $100+ Street fighter 2 collector's item.

I do offer reprogrammable SNES boards for a fraction of that cost on my site if that's what you're after.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
majorspawn

Post by majorspawn »

infiniteneslives wrote:I don't think anyone would really want to reprogram a $100+ Street fighter 2 collector's item.

I do offer reprogrammable SNES boards for a fraction of that cost on my site if that's what you're after.
I simply asked because I own one already, just wanted to update the rom code on the chio and the headers on ocb suggest it might be possible.
infiniteneslives

Novasquirrel was talking about the SF2 30th anniversary carts which we made, not the Chinese boards like you have.

I'm guessing your board can be reprogrammed, there's no completed solutions to do so I assume. You'll have to sort that out yourself.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
majorspawn

Post by majorspawn »

infiniteneslives wrote:Novasquirrel was talking about the SF2 30th anniversary carts which we made, not the Chinese boards like you have.

I'm guessing your board can be reprogrammed, there's no completed solutions to do so I assume. You'll have to sort that out yourself.
Thanks just curious
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Interesting.
Can I assume that most of the pirates repros for sale at Aliexpress use similar 3v only ICs?

Looking at the board, it may not be too difficult to build an adapter that plugs on a standard programmer.
Is it me or the connector on the right has it's lower pin marked as WE?
Maybe someone could build an adapter to connect the address and data lines on a programmer after confirming that the needed control lines are available be it on the edge connector (unlikely) or that other on the right.

But that won't fix the problem of killing the console with the time...
How difficult would be to build an adapter with level shifters or even add it to the original PCB?
I think INL's boards should be the best and safer solution.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

NovaSquirrel wrote: Nope, those are level-shifted rather than directly connecting the console up to wrong-voltage parts and are perfectly safe.
This is hilarious.
Why does that person think putting the Nintendo seal of quality on a box is required to operate a 5 volts?
Any way it's good to see confirmed that all INL products is taking this stuff into account. Always been happy with the PCBs I got from him.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Would be too difficult to INL produce level shift adapters for NES, SNES and MD?
This would allow the use of these cheap knockoffs without future problems.
infiniteneslives

Fisher wrote:Would be too difficult to INL produce level shift adapters for NES, SNES and MD?
This would allow the use of these cheap knockoffs without future problems.
It's not a question of difficulty, but interest. It wouldn't be difficult for anyone with adequate skill set and resources to make such a device. Creating a device of this nature would be a conflict of my interests. In doing so I would effectively be saying, "Don't bother buying well made cartridges from myself or my reputable peers. Instead buy this device once and safely enjoy a lifetime of purchasing cheap chinese junk!" There's no motivation for me to make such a device.

If you're really looking to play cheap chinese carts 'safely' I would recommend playing on a low end clone as they typically don't operate at 5v, and are more likely to be at safer voltage levels for 3v hardware. Not only that, if a cheap clone console gets damaged from a cheap cart, it's not worth crying over.