nes game action replay repair - rechargeable battery?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankWDoom

nes game action replay repair - rechargeable battery?

Post by FrankWDoom »

I have a couple GAR carts that aren't working, and I have a couple questions.

1. what voltage is too low for the battery? one cart is still showing a bit over 3V on the battery, but doesn't want to work.

2. if the battery needs to be replaced, could i drop in a rechargeable replacement? the battery in the cart is a CR2450 with tabs attached. The only one I can find that looks like that is this https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/2404066
Any issue using that as a replacement? edit: i can't read, that's a non-rechargeable battery. i have seen rechargeables elsewhere so still interested in that

3. does the GAR normally work in a copynes console? the cart i'm trying first I had tested on a regular console within the past couple years and it was fine, but it won't do anything in the copynes console (or any other console i have handy right now).
Last edited by FrankWDoom on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Re: nes game action replay repair - rechargeable battery?

Post by lidnariq »

Lithium primary coin cells are more-or-less interchangeable. CRxxx parts aren't rechargeable (LIRxxx ones are), and they're all the same technology so the voltage is the same.

What size is used usually comes down to a question of cost and available geometry.
ccovell

Re: nes game action replay repair - rechargeable battery?

Post by ccovell »

IIRC, Kevtris RE'd the GAR here (enough acronyms for you?) and its precious system code was stored entirely in RAM, which was kept alive by that battery. So once the battery dies, the GAR is basically bricked. (I think the old CopyNES interface also had a GAR code restore feature because of this...)