Question about a rgb and usb mod

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

train6556

Question about a rgb and usb mod

Post by train6556 »

I have a nes that I'm thinking about doing the rgb mod to it. Except for the power that gets converted to 5 volts dc in the RF modulator, it sound like I wouldn't don't need it anymore. Would the 5 volt micro usb plug even power a nes? There's a voltage regulator that is soldered to the nes's internal 5 voltage regulator in the mod. Would the regulator just get soldered to the micro usb plug or would the usb plug get solder straight to the rgb 5 volt pin? With the box out I could fit the rgb connector, micro USB, audio jacks and dip switch in that space. I only know the basics for electronics and I don't know if I'm missing something or if I have the right idea. Any thought, concerns or suggestions would be amazing. thank you.
lidnariq

Re: Question about a rgb and usb mod

Post by lidnariq »

The RF modulator is the only thing inside the NES that uses anything other than 5V; I know we've seen people convert NESes to composite-only and 5V from a USB thing at the same time.

The NES seems to draw somewhere around 350mA at minimum; I don't know how much more any given cartridge adds to that. This is almost certainly fine off USB.

I don't know how much more power the NESRGB takes. It's ... probably ok?