It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:33 am 

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share a project that I'm working on for some weeks now : InterNES (the name may change :) )

It's a wifi module that can be connected on the 2nd controller port, or even embedded in a cartridge, that allows you to play online through the Internet. This is not supposed to work with existing games but to allow future productions to use the system (however someone very motivated could hack an existing game but it would be very complex I guess).

This project is inspired by ConnectedNES by Rachel Simone Weil, and Blargg's work on using RS-232 via the controller port of the NES. Also, thanks to the NesDEV wiki for all its precious information (here and here).

Rather than a long speech, I'll let you discover it in a video (thanks to Michel Louvet and his show Oldschool Is Beautiful). Be sure to enable English subs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1qEAI-mGE

The project is still experimental, "prototype" would be a big word for now, but I'm still working on it and I hope to be able to show something more reliable by the end of the year.

Feel free to ask any question or to give your feeling about it !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 am 

That's cool. Hope you do something fun with it. If nothing else, this kind of thing does make a good live demonstration, like how ConnectedNES was used to show tweets live, gets people to interact with it a little. Maybe if we had a popular enough peripheral to get a standard started we could start getting a game library that supports it. :) Maybe even just a Chess or Go client for an existing online network would be fun to try.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

That's really cool! :D

Similarily inspired by Weil, a side project that never really got beyond a block diagram (gotta prioritize the games i'm involved with!) was supposed to eventually connect my two NES units locally via a dual-ported ram + a few off the shelf support ic:s, connected via controller port #2. Part of the charm: local multiplayer/fun little interactive demos, social interaction. big con: needs two of everything (except the unit-to-unit dongle) in one house. a wifi dongle solves that.

Not all interactions need to be part of the core gameplay, so the potential use is quite wide. Users of new homebrew could connect to exchange content in general; be it in-game items, messages, or minigame levels made with an ingame editor. Game created, user created..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:09 pm 

I happen to prefer wired network connections.

Still, if you can connect to the internet (wired or wirelessly), a network diagnostics program can be made up (and then you can test its working) and a gopher client program can also be made up. And then, you can make up games such as mahjong or poker or bridge (I am naming these games specifically because they involve hidden information, rather than chess and Go which do not involve hidden information and so do not required to have separate displays for each player), which may use their own protocols.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:35 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Another use: Distribute new content to already sold cartridges, if flashrom/battery backed ram. A seasonal update to a "special course" or fill in placeholder entries to expand on or update items in a dungeon crawler? should work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pm 

I really like the idea of extra content downloaded via network. It's not too difficult to make bonus levels for a NES game and this would keep the game alive and fresh. It's a nice way to add to an existing game without being forced to release a "plus" version or a sequel.