eprom/eeprom hardware options

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

y-aji

eprom/eeprom hardware options

Post by y-aji »

I picked up a tl866II on ebay and am patiently awaiting its arrival as well as some 8mbit eproms to start messing w/ this. I'm only really doing this for educational purposes.

After ordering the 8mbit eproms, I realized that most games are 16mbit or higher. Seems like the 32mbit eeproms that are being described on what I expect is the most common walkthrough on the planet for this hobby (thepoorstudenthobbiest) are too expensive and some of the info is out of date at this point.

Any suggestions on either a more affordable option for eeproms or a suggestion on some kind of board I can order that converts the 42 pin eproms to a 36? The M27C322 seems like the best choice since you can get 10 for the price of 1 MBM29F033C, but obviously the pin count is too high.

Also, any suggestions on putting in a zif slot or a product that already has one for prototyping? I assume that's problematic with all of the custom config that the carts can have, but I could see a big ol cartridge w/ jumpers.

edit: hardware-wise, I have a fairly nice iron and a hot air rework station and low heat paste, so I'm good on any level of soldering difficulty. I know that keeps coming up in tuts.
lidnariq

Re: eprom/eeprom hardware options

Post by lidnariq »

1- The TL866 (CS/A/II+) doesn't support programming 42-pin ICs anyway, you can't use it with the 27C322.

2- The 27C322 has a 16-bit data bus always. There are some schematics here on the forum on how to convert from its 16-bit data bus to the SNES's 8-bit data bus. You can sometimes find its smaller version the 27C160 which can be swapped between 16-bit and 8-bit mode. But neither could be a drop-in solution: all the pins will have to be shuffled around.