NES controller tact switches mod

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Looter

NES controller tact switches mod

Post by Looter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:40 am

So i dont know exactly why i did this other than i always wanted to try it. I found some tact switches that have rounded edges and fit inside the recessed center of the a and b buttons so the switches can be pressed. Also they were the perfect height so when they are flat on the circuit board the a and b buttons sit all the way un depressed in their housing. At first i tryed to expose some copper on the board contacts then flatten the switch leads and solder them on but the solder just would not stick to enough to hold. Then i just said screw it and drilled holes in the board and connected the wires directly to the shift register. One side of switch to ground(pin8) and one side to the buttons input pins(1 for a 15 for b) and to vdd(pin16) through a 47k pull up resistor. The buttons are extremely responsive and take much less pressure to push. Also i suspect they can be pressed for minimum amount of time easier. Not to mention that satisfying click, oh and dont worry about my janky wireing :)
Attachments
BBAE09A5-432D-499D-AB85-170159152896.jpeg
222E497F-9F9B-4E04-B293-D927AD60F769.jpeg

MaarioS

Re: NES controller tact switches mod

Post by MaarioS » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:20 am

That is a nice try. So how about the D-pad?? This is the thing that always requires an enormous amount of precision to work correctly and also the diagonal directions in NES games just have to be perfect

Looter

Post by Looter » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 pm

well this was just kinda a fun/learning experience project i honestly didnt expect to get a result that was an upgrade to the standard controller. But i was pleasantly surprised. If someone could do a professional version of this with no play in the buttons and maybe higher quality tac switches (if that is such a thing) it might be kinda cool. It feels great, i would love to test the 2 buttons response on an oscilloscope but my wife threw mine out the window after a fight :( so if anyone has an old one they dont need wink wink

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

Looter wrote:well this was just kinda a fun/learning experience project i honestly didnt expect to get a result that was an upgrade to the standard controller. But i was pleasantly surprised. If someone could do a professional version of this with no play in the buttons and maybe higher quality tac switches (if that is such a thing) it might be kinda cool. It feels great, i would love to test the 2 buttons response on an oscilloscope but my wife threw mine out the window after a fight :( so if anyone has an old one they dont need wink wink
I would say try to repair the scope. What part broke when it hit the ground?