Socketed NROM Dev Board

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Yoey

Socketed NROM Dev Board

Post by Yoey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 pm

So, I'm setting out to make a custom little NROM board so I can test projects and all that (I know that flashcarts exist, I just don't have 130 bucks at the moment), For two main reasons:

1. It looks cool
2. I want to test stuff I write and learn about boards

However, my main concern is that after I put sockets onto the board for the EPROMs, they'll be too tall and hit the metal bar on the front loader; Would this be something that happens? If so, how can I work around it? (Thought about just removing the cart slot entirely or using a dremel to take a chunk of the bar out)

lidnariq

Re: Socketed NROM Dev Board

Post by lidnariq » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 pm

In my experience, a single socket fits. Two stacked on top of each other (which you might do to protect the pins on the ROM) don't. ZIF DIP sockets are right out.

A longer board where the ROMs are above the bar might be a nice thing to design.

rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah, I have a socketed ReproPak board that I sometimes use for testing. The socketed chips won't fit in the cartridge shell (need to make a hole for them) but they do manage to squeak by under the bar, just barely.

...though I later removed the bar entirely because I put in a Blinking Light Win connector, at which point it is no longer even a potential issue.
what it looks like
what it looks like

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Yoey wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 pm
So, I'm setting out to make a custom little NROM board so I can test projects and all that (I know that flashcarts exist, I just don't have 130 bucks at the moment)
Have you factored in the cost of an EPROM programmer?

Yoey

Post by Yoey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am

Have you factored in the cost of an EPROM programmer?
Aside from general browsing shopping sites, not yet-
However, most combinations seem to hit below the 130 mark, so that works out nice I guess

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:51 am

Is it one of those Brazil/Argentina situations where importing a PowerPak requires paying prohibitive import duties but buying a locally made EPROM programmer doesn't?

FrankWDoom

Post by FrankWDoom » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:59 am

I've popped the bar out of a couple consoles to accommodate socketed carts. It's a c shape open in the back so you can pull it out towards you with some force. There's no real downside to removing it I'm aware of.

Yoey

Post by Yoey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:37 pm

FrankWDoom wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:59 am
There's no real downside to removing it I'm aware of.
Let's just hope that they slide in right under it, if I need to remove it then that's just what I'll have to do; Thanks all