NES Maker (for VTxx machines)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

lxx33

Re: NES Maker (for VTxx machines)

Post by lxx33 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:16 am

timschuerewegen wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:54 pm
jacaba wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 am
Could you tell me what that programmer is and what else I would need for the programm the memory?
I used this programmer (with a 5V -> 3.3V modification)
programmer1.jpg

this test clip
programmer2.jpg

and the "CH341A Programmer v1.4" software to dump/program the SPI flash chip.
@Timschuerewegen
Was it only pin 24 to connect to the onboard regulator, or also pin 9 like on the following modification tutorial. Just received the programmer :)
Can't wait to begin, but don't want to blow up anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ln3VIZKKaE

ytm

Post by ytm » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Hi guys! I appreciate very much the work that @timschuerewegen did here.

I wonder if anyone had any luck with reflashing ROM in a Lexibook JL3000. On the board it says "WM390-v1.2 2018/04/23".

Here is the original ROM dump and some pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The layout is similar to other boards that appeared in this thread - one big blob and two small chips. The larger one is a 16M flash, but it's quite strange because I couldn't reliably read the top 8M portion - as if it was damaged.

I even desoldered it and soldered to an adapter board, but it didn't really help. When I took a new blank chip and flashed it with lower 8M of data the menu and at least the first couple of games worked.

I tried to create new ROMs with NESmaker. I thought that HKB502 will work because from this thread I saw that it is almost identical. There was menu music but only white screen.
The closest I got to a running system was with SY888B. Here the screen was displayed only in top right quarter and mirrored in X axis (image in the shared folder with ROM).
With Arcade Retro v1 and v2 I got only LCD backlight and music. I heard beeps from the menu and I could run a game, but nothing changed on the display.

NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 am

Does game #87 (Pulveration) work? It accesses the second 8 MiB of ROM. If it does, then the ROM is okay and you only have a readout issue. If it does not, then the second half of ROM is really damaged.

ytm

Post by ytm » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:22 am

NewRisingSun wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 am
Does game #87 (Pulveration) work? It accesses the second 8 MiB of ROM. If it does, then the ROM is okay and you only have a readout issue. If it does not, then the second half of ROM is really damaged.
Number #87 (and the following ones) works. There is real data in the upper 8MB and vast majority had stable values. I did several dumps and coded a comparator in Python where each dump "voted" on the value in a given offset. Only few bytes could not be resolved this way and I'm not sure if this space is used.

But.. how do you know that? Can I add a .nes header to this dump and trace the startup code an emulator? This is probably a newbie question, but I come from C64 land, so although I know 6502 assembly, the NES ecosystem is a new thing for me.

NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 am

I added a NES 2.0 header (Mapper 427, Console Type VT369) to your dump and ran it successfully in NintendulatorNRS. But only the menu and the games from the first 8 MiB half work. I can tell which half is being accessed from looking at the values written to register $4100.
Attachments
300in1.png
300in1.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

ytm

Post by ytm » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:15 pm

NewRisingSun wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 am
I added a NES 2.0 header (Mapper 427, Console Type VT369) to your dump and ran it successfully in NintendulatorNRS. But only the menu and the games from the first 8 MiB half work. I can tell which half is being accessed from looking at the values written to register $4100.
Thank you for this info! For posteriority I updated my shared folder linked above with a ROM in NES format. After changing PRG size to 16384 also games past number #87 run in NintendulatorNRS.

NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:48 pm

They do indeed. Either I accidently corrupted the ROM before, or you have since uploaded a redump.