Diagnosing an NES graphic problem

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

razenxd

Diagnosing an NES graphic problem

Post by razenxd » Sun May 17, 2020 11:10 am

Hello there,
I recently got an NES that had some graphic corruption(Unfortunately i don't have any Pictures before i took it apart).
I thought that I would give it a proper clean with IPA and see how it goes.
Today I Dissasembled the console and gave it a good clean, the bottom part is actual clean and there was some corrosion on the top part but nothing that IPA didn't remove.
I got the 72 out of motherboard and to my surprise it wiped out two motherboard pins, i gave it a clean with IPA and a toothbrush and assembled back.
The graphics are better(i mean more understandable) but the corruption persists.
Could that problem be related to the pins that got off,or do they still making contact because the material that wiped off is still on the connector?
I Know that there are still residue into the connector and thinking to boil it off,should i give it a go or is it a deeper problem with some PPU?
I know that those answers would not magically answered, i have a multimeter to check continuity and things but i'm a total newb, with the right direction(articles forum post etc) i will dive deeper.
Here's 3 pictures to see what i'm talking about.
https://imgur.com/a/YsV8e53
Thanks

lidnariq

Re: Diagnosing an NES graphic problem

Post by lidnariq » Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 am

Your imgur account is flagged as adult-only. Upload your images here instead?

razenxd

Post by razenxd » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 am
Your imgur account is flagged as adult-only. Upload your images here instead?
Yeah sorry, that probably happened today since its the first time that someone mention that.
I got a file size limit error thats why i uploaded them on imgur.

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 am

The easiest way to work around a file size limit is to resize the images or slightly reduce the JPEG image quality. (If you need help doing that, I'll need to know what operating system your computer runs and what image editing software, if any, you have installed.)

Ice Man

Post by Ice Man » Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am

First of all, your connector has verdigris and should be replaced immediately (or cleaned properly, if that's possible).
Was it stored in a humid place? Either way, that's problem one.

Problem two, I am guessing the WRAM has a defect as well, at least according to the video garbage being produced.

razenxd

Post by razenxd » Mon May 18, 2020 7:04 am

tepples wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 am
The easiest way to work around a file size limit is to resize the images or slightly reduce the JPEG image quality. (If you need help doing that, I'll need to know what operating system your computer runs and what image editing software, if any, you have installed.)
Ok Thanks.
I Will droo the quality when i will get back home from work and will edit my first post.
Ice Man wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am
First of all, your connector has verdigris and should be replaced immediately (or cleaned properly, if that's possible).
Was it stored in a humid place? Either way, that's problem one.

Problem two, I am guessing the WRAM has a defect as well, at least according to the video garbage being produced.
I know that connector has verdigris, its actually part of the motherboard pins(you can totaly see it in the picture).
Yeah it looks like it was stored in a humid place.
Today I will try to boil the connector to remove verdigris and residues and give it a try before i get a closer inspection of motherboard.
Will post back the results.