TLROM-03 SWAP PRG DIP-28 TO DIP-32 DOESN'T WORK

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

sydsydsyd

TLROM-03 SWAP PRG DIP-28 TO DIP-32 DOESN'T WORK

Post by sydsydsyd » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I'm glad to start posting here! Im syd from Argentina. Nice to meet you guys :)
I was hoping maybe someone can help me with this newb issue

Today i was trying to make a repro with a famiclone GIJOE2 PCB donor, it's a TLROM-03 board https://nescartdb.com/profile/view/954
I was trying to make a Metal Storm repro, components and PCB looked the same https://nescartdb.com/profile/view/129

The thing is, after replacing ROMS, game doesn't worked. I verified that EPROM programming was successful, its all ok. Also i have experience soldering, that isn't the issue.

Board came originally with a DIP-28 OTP 128kb PRG, i replaced it with a DIP-32 27C010A (128kb) EPROM . Also CHR, i replaced it with DIP-32 27C020 (256kb).

I thought, maybe i need to do some extra step by setting some jumper to make DIP-32 PRG work properly? :?:
Because i didn't see that "28 - 32" jumper on this board, maybe some of those random holes are the answer?

Anyways, thanks a lot, i wan't to play metal storm so bad! :D
Attachments
Before replacing roms front
Before replacing roms front
Before replacing roms back
Before replacing roms back
After replacing roms front
After replacing roms front
After replacing roms back
After replacing roms back

Ben Boldt

Re: TLROM-03 SWAP PRG DIP-28 TO DIP-32 DOESN'T WORK

Post by Ben Boldt » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi sydsydsyd, welcome. Someone might already be familiar with your board but I don't find any clone MMC3 pinout for "C3B". I think it will be a good idea to use a continuity tester and see where each pin of each chip connects. For example, clip 1 lead of your continuity tester to a pin, then brush your other lead across all pins of the mapper chip ("C3B") and the edge connector. Write down everything that it connects to (probably only 1 or 2 connections for most things.) Repeat that for all pins on all chips. This will give you and us a really good idea of how the board works.

Most signals will connect to the board edge connector. You can use this pinout to help name the signals correctly:

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Cartridge_connector

It is possible that the original ROMs do not have the same pinout as your new EPROMs. In that case, your work with the continuity tester will provide the info needed for running wires, possibly how to cut/solder those jumpers, etc.

Edit:
Actually krzysiobal has done work on this same board already:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21021

He has some pinout available there already, seems this is an unusual MMC3 clone.

aquasnake

Post by aquasnake » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:19 am

There is no problem connecting GND or VCC to the highest address bit. You only need to mirror the 128K ROM to 256K(copy once).

sydsydsyd

Post by sydsydsyd » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:49 am

Well i figured it out, just changed jumpers from 1M to 2M and worked flawlessly!!

Thanks a lot for help guys :D :) :) :)

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:18 pm

We would like to know the pinout of your C3B chip, it would be valuable add to our wiki, since all we ever knew of this bootleg MMC3 chip came from pictures and we can't tell all the connections that way (though krzysiobal did attempt). Would you please help us with that unusual pinout? You could just post notes here and I can update the wiki with it. It would be appreciated.