Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Post Reply
Vresiberba
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by Vresiberba » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm

Wondering if it's possible to turn a PAL frontloader into a fully functional NTSC machine by using PPU, CPU and xtal from a Japanese NTSC NES Famicom, the red/white one?

lidnariq
Posts: 10095
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by lidnariq » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm

Sure. Somewhat expensive for what you get, though. You'll end up with something equivalent to a US NES, except that the CIC region and RF modulator output will be wrong.

Vresiberba
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by Vresiberba » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:46 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:29 pm
Sure. Somewhat expensive for what you get, though. You'll end up with something equivalent to a US NES, except that the CIC region and RF modulator output will be wrong.
Awesume news! The thing is, buying a PAL frontloader locally and importing a Famicom from Japan is by far a more cheaper option than importing a frontloader from USA. Buying an NTSC frontloader here is 200 Euro, importing one from USA is, at least 120 Euro but buying a PAL frontloader is 20-30 and importing a Famicom about 50. Easily worth it, certainly since it's going to be fitted with a TW RGB kit which needs the PPU unsoldered either way.

Thanks.

lidnariq
Posts: 10095
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by lidnariq » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Depending on what's available to you, it might be preferable to use famiclone parts (e.g. UA6527, UA6528) instead of a real famicom, and/or to use the real famicom as a famicom.

kaliki
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:17 am

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by kaliki » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 pm

Hi, new here, I can witness too it could be done and it will be like a 100% ntsc nes (except the minor things mentioned) I did many of them also as a first step to install nesrgb, cheapest way to me to have 60hz 72 pin here in Europe
Don't forget to connect diodes on controller ports if you want ntsc peripherals compatibility

pakosup
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by pakosup » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:51 am

lidnariq wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm
Depending on what's available to you, it might be preferable to use famiclone parts (e.g. UA6527, UA6528) instead of a real famicom, and/or to use the real famicom as a famicom.
It is hard to find working ones. So buying a famicom is preferable. Also better to use processors with G or H revision, so buy famicom with metal shield and FF signature on the front label.

Vresiberba
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by Vresiberba » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 am

pakosup wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:51 am
lidnariq wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm
Depending on what's available to you, it might be preferable to use famiclone parts (e.g. UA6527, UA6528) instead of a real famicom, and/or to use the real famicom as a famicom.
It is hard to find working ones. So buying a famicom is preferable. Also better to use processors with G or H revision, so buy famicom with metal shield and FF signature on the front label.
What's different about G and H revisions?

lidnariq
Posts: 10095
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by lidnariq » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:15 pm

The majority of US NESes have revision G or H PPUs, and they have a specific bug that some games rely on.

pakosup
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by pakosup » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 pm

PPU of E revision has a bug with reading palette, so using it with Everdrive leads to incorrect restoring of save states in games.

Vresiberba
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by Vresiberba » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 pm

pakosup wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 pm
PPU of E revision has a bug with reading palette, so using it with Everdrive leads to incorrect restoring of save states in games.
Dang. Good thing you advised me in time because I intend to use it with an Everdrive. I just bought a Famicom with the FF logo.

Thanks everyone for the information.

lidnariq
Posts: 10095
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by lidnariq » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 pm

Not exactly a bug, more a "didn't yet occur to them that developers might want that"

User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 11938
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: Converting PAL to NTSC using Famicom

Post by tokumaru » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:58 am

lidnariq wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 pm
Not exactly a bug, more a "didn't yet occur to them that developers might want that"
That's kind of a weird update to make once you already have lots of consoles out there with the old behavior, since developers will not be able to take advantage of the feature because of that. Unless they considered allowing only NES games to use that new feature.

Post Reply