Drop in replacement eproms

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

ironsniper1

Drop in replacement eproms

Post by ironsniper1 »

hey everyone

is there any 32 pin eproms that are a drop in replacement on nes carts that dont require wiring? not saying i couldnt do the wiring but just curious, i know the 29c256 is a drop in replacement for some as i used them to fix an excitebike cart, but what about games that use chr ram or that use 32pin mask roms?
lidnariq

Re: Drop in replacement eproms

Post by lidnariq »

Nope.

You could design an external PCB that would do this, but there were no preexisting programmable memories that put A16 on pin 24.
poorstudenthobbyist

Post by poorstudenthobbyist »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:26 am Nope.

You could design an external PCB that would do this, but there were no preexisting programmable memories that put A16 on pin 24.
Shameless plug time
ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:34 am
lidnariq wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:26 am Nope.

Shameless plug time
does that fit in a standard cart shell?

EDIT im stupid and didnt read disregard

EDIT 2 can I use a 29c040 flash eprom rather than the one that needs to be erased via a uv eraser?
poorstudenthobbyist

ironsniper1 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm

No worries. It fits on standard Nintendo boards, but I think some Konami games won't fit. And some boards (like EKROM, off the top of my head) have too many parts in the way for one/both of the chips. But it fits most.
EDIT 2 can I use a 29c040 flash eprom rather than the one that needs to be erased via a uv eraser?
It'll most likely work as a drop-in, but pins 1 and 31 are flipped between the UV EPROMs and the flash chips. So if it doesn't work, just cut those two pins and rewire them to flip their positions. Should only be an issue on larger ROMs (512k)

New version coming soon with solder pads on the back to take care of that, most likely this week.
ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm
ironsniper1 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm

No worries. It fits on standard Nintendo boards, but I think some Konami games won't fit. And some boards (like EKROM, off the top of my head) have too many parts in the way for one/both of the chips. But it fits most.
It'll most likely work as a drop-in, but pins 1 and 31 are flipped between the UV EPROMs and the flash chips. So if it doesn't work, just cut those two pins and rewire them to flip their positions. Should only be an issue on larger ROMs (512k)

New version coming soon with solder pads on the back to take care of that, most likely this week.
thanks for that, i did purchase one of your boards so i look forward to using it
poorstudenthobbyist

ironsniper1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 am thanks for that, i did purchase one of your boards so i look forward to using it
I thought that was you haha.
Thanks! :beer:
ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 »

poorstudenthobbyist wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:01 pm
ironsniper1 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 am thanks for that, i did purchase one of your boards so i look forward to using it
I thought that was you haha.
Thanks! :beer:
i got your adapter board in as well as my replacement eprom for the copy of mega man 2 i have and it works, still have the issue as when i got the game but atleast i have an eprom and adapter to use if i need too! thanks!