replacement ceramic capacitor

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

ironsniper1

replacement ceramic capacitor

Post by ironsniper1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:47 pm

hey all, i have a copy of mega man 2 with a broken ceramic capacitor on C2 that i need to replace and was wondering if anyone knew what value goes there and what would be a good replacement for it would be?

Ben Boldt

Re: replacement ceramic capacitor

Post by Ben Boldt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:21 am

This is actually just a bypass capacitor, nothing special or critical. Any ceramic capacitor in the range 10-100nF (aka 0.01-0.1uF) would be fine.

ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:19 am

Ben Boldt wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:21 am
This is actually just a bypass capacitor, nothing special or critical. Any ceramic capacitor in the range 10-100nF (aka 0.01-0.1uF) would be fine.
do you know of any that wont take up as much space? all the ones i look at seem like they will stick out to much and cause it to not fit in the cart shell

also would it hurt if i were to try and see if the game works with out it for a bit or will that damage it?

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi ironsniper1,

It will be just fine without that capacitor, it might be a little more prone to crashing but will not cause any damage running it without that capacitor. Some people might even consider it superstitious to replace this capacitor, given that there are already a couple others on your board. It isn't a bad idea to replace it through.

Something like this should work, they are thin and you can bend them out of the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154164772355

Keep in mind, you can put the capacitor on either side of the board, whichever fits best.

A lot of electronics have these kinds of capacitors; you might be able to scavenge one from some junk. 10nF is marked "103", 100nF is marked "104". If it ends in a 2, 3, or 4 it will work fine. The point of this capacitor is to reduce any high frequency noise on the power going into the chip next to it. This is why you need a small capacitor for this purpose. Larger ones will not filter out the high frequency as well (or at all). Again, it is kind of superstitious in this case but you may as well replace it.

ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Ben Boldt wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Hi ironsniper1,

It will be just fine without that capacitor, it might be a little more prone to crashing but will not cause any damage running it without that capacitor. Some people might even consider it superstitious to replace this capacitor, given that there are already a couple others on your board. It isn't a bad idea to replace it through.

Something like this should work, they are thin and you can bend them out of the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154164772355

Keep in mind, you can put the capacitor on either side of the board, whichever fits best.

A lot of electronics have these kinds of capacitors; you might be able to scavenge one from some junk. 10nF is marked "103", 100nF is marked "104". If it ends in a 2, 3, or 4 it will work fine. The point of this capacitor is to reduce any high frequency noise on the power going into the chip next to it. This is why you need a small capacitor for this purpose. Larger ones will not filter out the high frequency as well (or at all). Again, it is kind of superstitious in this case but you may as well replace it.
thanks for the reply! i have a junk psu that i scavenge for parts from time to time and while i highly doubt it has what i need never hurts to check, i will also check my other spare parts stashes and see if i have anything just incase

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 pm

If you wanted to get creative, you could actually use a surface mount capacitor, which are more common to find in modern electronics:

smt_cap.png

You would need to scrape the green solder mask from the circuit board to expose the copper to solder to. This is technically better to do it this way. It is difficult to remove these capacitors from a junk board without wrecking them and they are usually unmarked so it's probably a harder solution but thought i would mention it.

ironsniper1

Post by ironsniper1 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Ben Boldt wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 pm
If you wanted to get creative, you could actually use a surface mount capacitor, which are more common to find in modern electronics:

smt_cap.png

You would need to scrape the green solder mask from the circuit board to expose the copper to solder to. This is technically better to do it this way. It is difficult to remove these capacitors from a junk board without wrecking them and they are usually unmarked so it's probably a harder solution but thought i would mention it.
i have a vacuum desoldering iron, and a manual one etc etc so its not an issue