issue flashing with INL Retro

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

skipdrake

issue flashing with INL Retro

Post by skipdrake » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:45 am

So I think I did something a lil dumb.
I just got this thing today, and while flashing stuff to the UNROM cart I got with it and dumping stuff I had, I tried to flash the (working) data I dumped from an SMB3 cart back to it,
but it gets stuck at erasing PRG, and now it seems the cart was wiped.

Does INL Retro only flash the dev carts you buy for it?
Thought it was a general cart flasher as it doesn't say otherwise....
Did I ruin this smb3 cart?
any way to fix it??

calima

Re: issue flashing with INL Retro

Post by calima » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:50 am

If your SMB3 cart is original, it's highly unlikely you could damage it, those are burned ROMs. If it's a pirate/repro, then it may be flashable.

skipdrake

Post by skipdrake » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:18 pm

calima wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:50 am
If your SMB3 cart is original, it's highly unlikely you could damage it, those are burned ROMs. If it's a pirate/repro, then it may be flashable.
yeah it's original and definitely dead. just a pink screen on power on. the smb3 cart was a spare anyway as i got it for use as a donor cart when there was no such thing as custom cart/flashing hardware.
i forgot all about how to build carts as it was so many years ago. im guessing the only way to fix this cart is eprom flash the original chips or replace/flash them in the donor cart style?
Or if I recall, original NES chips are one time deals, so I gotta get/rewire new ones?

Was like 20 years ago I got this cart as a 'donor' so not a total loss but oops, now I can't give it to a friend I was going to.

skipdrake

Post by skipdrake » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Update:
???? The cart's data is still 100% intact. I dumped the rom of the dead cart, which then runs fine as an NES rom in an emulator. I can't understand why it wouldn't work in the NES if the PRG/CHR roms are fine....?

LOL Whoa, now after I dumped it, the cart suddenly works in the NES again!

So then which carts can I flash with this? only custom ones like the UNROM512 it's working with?

calima

Post by calima » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am

You can only flash flashable carts, that the software knows how to flash. Read INL's instructions to find which carts it supports.

INL-sold ones: sure. Random Chinese ones: maybe. Original Nintendo boards: nope.