Network connection through expansion port?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Wookie

Post by Wookie »

I found a solution to the connector problem. I just sliced my 48 pin connectors down the middle splitting the two rows of pins in two. It turns out that each side is just the right thickness to fit snugly between the expansion connector and its shell, so the two halves of the female socket don't have to be connected to ensure a good connection with the expansion bus.
robroyo

Re:

Post by robroyo »

Memblers wrote:
Setting up a linux PC isn't really an option, I want to find or make software that would be included with the Squeedo kit and usable by almost anybody.
How about this one http://www.virtual-serial-port.org/prod ... -ethernet/ ?
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Re: Network connection through expansion port?

Post by Broke Studio »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this : http://www.nobadmemories.com/connectednes/
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Especially for telnet, I think a physical keyboard will definitely be better than the on-screen keyboard. Famicom keyboard protocol should be supported if possible even if it also supports another keyboard protocol. Even if implementing a gopher client, you should still support an external keyboard (to enter host names, selector strings, and query strings), although it can be less important in that case and on-screen might also be implemented in case you do not have the keyboard. (You can also implement both protocols in the same program.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

... Is there a reason we're necroposting?

No-one mentioned ConnectedNES because it didn't exist in 2009.

I'm not going to say that robroyo is spamming, but ... virtual-serial-port is a commercial product and basically entirely unrelated to the NES expansion port.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

Oops sorry, didn't pay attention to the dates...
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.