Was the NES PPU inspired by TI's TMS9918 VDP?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Speaking of patents and copying, that article says they licensed the 6502 from Rockwell, but I remember Chuck Peddle in an interview saying that he didn't get paid for it. I believe he said they copied the design exactly, removing the parts that the designers had patented. What a way to cut costs. That's why there's no decimal mode.

Maybe the ultimate end of this argument should be a trial by acids and solvents, de-cap the chips and see if they copied the TMS9918 as well as they did the 6502.

Also it seems like I remember hearing something about Atari suing Nintendo over some kind of scrolling-related patents. I wonder what the details of that were.

blargg

Post by blargg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

6502freak wrote:
It's true that the 9918 introduced this frequency and Nintendo used it, but it's not like the frame timing is the same nor is the logic anywhere close to similar.
Ummm, the frame timing is identical to the NES PPU, 340 pixels per line, 262 lines, and if I had an oscilloscope, I would even bet that all blanking and sync signals start at the same positions between the 2 chips (because they are documented in the TMS9918 datasheet).
NES has 341 pixels per line, causing the color carrier to cycle through three phases on successive scanlines, unlike the TMS which has the same phase every line. Every other frame it also makes one of the vblank scanlines one pixel shorter, so that on successive frames each line's color carrier toggles between two phases.

BTW, your argumentation style SUCKS ASS. You continually drop to personal attacks and ad hominem, rather than offering technical arguments. It seems like you have already selected a conclusion and are personally offended when others come to a different conclusion, and instead of examining why you believe yours, and coming up with sound arguments, you attack the other party. Please give this some thought.

Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Again, I would say the same message

Computolio

Post by Computolio » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:49 am

NERD FIGHT

Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 am

Ahah, that's the point of my messages...