It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:10 am 

Quote:
if ((prgrw_in = '0') AND (prgce_in ='0')) then

You're right, it does make a lot more sense this way - much less prone to mistakes.
Unfortunately I don't think I could possibly try anything I haven't before (for the shift register / input process), and with the same black screen for everything it's gotta be something else - I should've at least seen something on the screen once by now.
Maybe I've made a mistake on the bankswitching -- possibly the CHR side of things? I haven't changed that since the original code in the first post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:03 am 

Are any of your bus's bidirectional?

As a test, couldn't you use a simple game that doesn't use any mapper chips to at least see if the system is running with this logic in your CPLD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 am 

None of my buses are bidirectional (thru the PLD, anyway). Other games (NROM, CNROM, and UNROM) are all working fine with this CPLD software, so I know the CPLD is working.

Here's something that's kind of confusing me though, I pulled out a logic analyzer and took a look at the M2, /CE, R/W, D0, D7, A13, and A14 pins. I managed to track down the Reset write, the Reg3 writes, and the Reg0 writes - at least I think I did. They're not quite what I expected. A write kinda looks like this (I'm gonna try to ACII this):

M2: 0______1----------------0________

/CE: 1----------0____________1---------

R/W: 1--0______________________1---

And as much as I tried, there is NEVER a rising edge of M2 while /CE is low. Or, is this waveform just wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:06 am 

The waveform is correct because "/CE" is "M2" NAND A15. It shouldn't be treated as /A15.

As for how data is valid at the rising edge of "M2", well the data output latch is enabled throughout "M1", but its tri-state buffer is enabled at "M2" && /RW (but /RW was predecoded through "M1".) With the propagation of input buffers, data arrives before/at the rising edge. Datasheets won't tell you this, but it can be observed by crosschecking the only accurate 6502 diagram: http://www.weihenstephan.org/~michaste/ ... 2/6502.jpg with the schematic: http://www.shiresoft.com/downloads/docs/6502.pdf .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:36 am 

I'll have to respectfully disagree about data on the rising edge of M2.

I'll use these as my sources:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/computeii/issue1/page9.php
Specifically, Figure. 1 and the paragraph below.

Datasheets, this one and the other ones on the 6502.org site.
http://6502.org/documents/datasheets/synertek/synertek_hardware_manual.pdf

I'm not sure why datasheets are not valid as they specifically say when devices can guarantee data to be valid from the CPU.

I hope others could respond as we could go back and forth on this forever.

Also, kathaku I wasn't talking about the CPLD not working. Just not working when the MMC1 load is in it. Try loading CPLD with the MMC1 code while using a non MMC1 game that doesn't use any kind of mapper chip. The game should still run correctly, right?[/url][/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:45 am 

Okay here's a better waveform to look at. This is what I thought was a write to Reg0.
So if the data is ready on the rising edge of M2, then D7 is a 1, but if it's on the falling edge of M2, then D7 is a 0. I thought it would've been the falling edge, because on the rising edge D7 is always 1.

I could've made a mistake, when I get home tonight I'll try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm 

2600 wrote:
I'm not sure why datasheets are not valid as they specifically say when devices can guarantee data to be valid from the CPU.

I'm not denying that it's most proper to use the falling edge, just pointing out that designs have had success with the rising edge. If data wasn't arriving in time, lots of designs out there wouldn't work, but they do. I don't think the PowerPak has any input delays on the line, but that would be the first thing to check in the constraints file.

I really think the datasheets should be taken with a few lumps of salt, they significantly oversimply the internal workings and the timing doesn't necessarily reflect the 2A03's process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:05 am 

Quote:
we could go back and forth on this forever

Although I have yet to make this mapper work with my PLD, I have learned enough to know much more clearly what is going on. I figure the problem is now something that can be solved with some simulation.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out with this - and when it does work, I'll post my working code for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:54 am 

You know it is kinda interesting that you are having trouble with MMC1 on your board. The FunkyFlashCart had trouble with MMC1 as well. I don't think that was ever fixed though.

Good luck it will be interesting to see what you find.

I'd have to look up more detail of the mapper, but I wonder if you should clear q_s when the count is 5 as well. I also wonder if checking if count is = to 5 should be in a separate process and synchronize it to M2, but use the opposite M2 polarity of when you clock the data in. That way there would be a little delay to clock the data in correctly before you transfer it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm 

Quote:
prg_addr_out(17) <= R3(3) OR prg_addr_in(14);
prg_addr_out(16) <= R3(2) OR prg_addr_in(14);
prg_addr_out(15) <= R3(1) OR prg_addr_in(14);
prg_addr_out(14) <= R3(0) OR prg_addr_in(14);

What if you burn for example a PRG ROM that is 128KB of size
and the prg_addr_in(14) would be '1'?
It will make the cpu read at the place that it is not programmed.

The quote in MMC1 specification is that it must be the last bank - the last one that is burned on the ROM (or maybe you will be playing with grames with 256KB of PRGROM only?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 pm 

Just minute ago I succesfully ran version of MMC (I had some problems during last hours).
It is basically very similar to yours instead of the one thing that I mentioned.

The next difference is that I init the R0 with 01100 and R1,R2,R3 with 00000

I am not using variables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 pm 

krzysiobal wrote:
What if you burn for example a PRG ROM that is 128KB of size
and the prg_addr_in(14) would be '1'?
It will make the cpu read at the place that it is not programmed.

Ground unused upper address bits when soldering the memory to the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:14 am 

Or program the same data repeatedly until it fills the chip so that the upper bits of the address won't matter. If you're not making a permanent cart (i.e. it's a devcart and you want to be able to run 256KB games as well as 128KB ones without hardware modifications), this is the better option.