CopyNES Will Be Available Again Soon!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 am

Will it require some crazy rare IDC cables or anything? Will a kit provide a wired CPU socket?

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:39 pm

kyuusaku wrote:Will it require some crazy rare IDC cables or anything? Will a kit provide a wired CPU socket?
Nope, it's fairly straight forward. It uses a pin header that solders between the two boards. You could socket it if you want so that the copyNES board can be removed and the original CPU reinstalled.

The only IDC cable needed is between the DB-25 and the PC board.

dXtr

Post by dXtr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:33 pm

btw. would there be any problems using this in a PAL nes?
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^

Quietust

Post by Quietust » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:24 am

dXtr wrote:btw. would there be any problems using this in a PAL nes?
I don't see why not, though it would dump carts slightly more slowly (due to the fact that the PAL CPU only runs at 1.66MHz compared to the NTSC's 1.79MHz).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

dXtr

Post by dXtr » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:51 am

Quietust wrote:
dXtr wrote:btw. would there be any problems using this in a PAL nes?
I don't see why not, though it would dump carts slightly more slowly (due to the fact that the PAL CPU only runs at 1.66MHz compared to the NTSC's 1.79MHz).
nice. was afraid there could be some timing-issues or something alike
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^

Necrosaro420

Re: CopyNES Will Be Available Again Soon!

Post by Necrosaro420 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:58 pm

kevtris wrote:
Sounds awesome man, ive been waiting a long time for ya to do this =) Do you have a ballpark figure of our much say the pcb+kit would cost? Thanks Alot =)
It looks like the cost is going to be $125 per conversion, and I haven't decided yet on the bare PCB and kit versions. I got quotes out to several board houses now and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. When I know how much it will cost, I will let everyone know.

When I say "per conversion" this means you send me your *working* nintendo (yes I will check :-) and I will modify it and test it and return it to you. As for kits I'm not quite sure. I was thinking of selling bare board, board+parts, or a stuffed board (minus CPU). I might offer all 3 styles and see what people want. Once I know more how many orders I will have, I will buy parts and charge accordingly. More people = less cost per unit due to volume discounts on parts.

Sounds Good =) Put me down for 1 of the 100. =) Will it also include the little LCD screen thing like you have on yours? Thanks

kevtris

Re: CopyNES Will Be Available Again Soon!

Post by kevtris » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 pm

Necrosaro420 wrote: the little LCD screen thing like you have on yours? Thanks
Nope, I never put LCDs on any of the CopyNES units I sold. I only had it on the 1 proto and that was it. There are pads on the board to attach one though. It was pretty worthless so I didn't bother putting it on (not to mention the cost and time involved in doing so). The PC host code has all the progress and status information on it.

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:15 pm

Update: CopyNES boards are shipping in 3 weeks or less, and parts shipped today, so I will be ready to go mid-november! I have set prices for everything. Here is the breakdown:

pre-programmed EPROM: $8
Assembled IDC connector: $6 (includes pin header, DB-25, etc)
PCB: $15

PCB+EPROM: $19
All three above: $24

Complete kit: $45 (you add NES, desolder CPU, solder onto copyNES board, etc)

Full conversion: $125 (you send me your *working* NES and I convert it and test it out then send it back)

So there ya go. I will start accepting money when I have boards and everything in my possession!

drk421

Post by drk421 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:49 pm

Cool,
do you have a contact email or shall we PM you?

DarthCloud

Post by DarthCloud » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:54 pm

How big are the pcb? Can it fit well in a New AV Famicom?

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:03 pm

I'm most definitely down for one too. Can't wait!

-Rob

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:26 pm

I'll go straight for a complete kit :)
Time to bare the cold and hunt for returnables :cry:

drk421

Post by drk421 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm

I'll take the Assembled IDC connector and PCB,

Thanks

Jagasian

Post by Jagasian » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:09 am

1. Is it possible to make the CopyNES write FDS images to FDS disks, if you attach a Famicom Disk System to the NES?
2. Is it possible to load a FDS image directly into the RAM adapter, using the CopyNES?

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Jagasian wrote:1. Is it possible to make the CopyNES write FDS images to FDS disks, if you attach a Famicom Disk System to the NES?
2. Is it possible to load a FDS image directly into the RAM adapter, using the CopyNES?
You can load FDS to the RAM adaptor but then you won't be able to load again off the disk. As for dumping/writing disks, CopyNES theoretically CAN do it... and even "borrow" the BIOS on the RAM pack to help it along... but I have not written code to do it. I'm sure making a plugin for it would be dead simple.

I just don't really know *how*. Also, getting the FDS RAM pack into copyNES is uh... tricky to say the least :-) I chained 3 adaptors to do it on mine!

As for it fitting in a toploader, no it won't. It's too big to fit in the toploader and only fits on a front loader.