CopyNES Will Be Available Again Soon!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:06 am

1. Is it possible to make the CopyNES write FDS images to FDS disks, if you attach a Famicom Disk System to the NES?
Ouch. :D

I've done the 3 adapter route myself. Time to make a CopyFC, Kev! :lol: :lol:

I actually made a really cool translation of Copy Tool 1 for you folks.. Just waiting for Memblers to post it. BTW, it is a newe and better design rthan Copy Tool 2, so don't ecven bother with Copy Tool 2. Together with FDSLoadr, you wouldn't need much else for dumping, loading and copying FDS disks.

Well, I guess you'd still have some CRC eroors on dumps, but hopefully Tomy will have a good solution to that soon.

-Rob

Jagasian

Post by Jagasian » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:39 am

kevtris wrote: You can load FDS to the RAM adaptor but then you won't be able to load again off the disk. As for dumping/writing disks, CopyNES theoretically CAN do it... and even "borrow" the BIOS on the RAM pack to help it along... but I have not written code to do it. I'm sure making a plugin for it would be dead simple.

I just don't really know *how*. Also, getting the FDS RAM pack into copyNES is uh... tricky to say the least :-) I chained 3 adaptors to do it on mine!
So there would be no way to play FDS images without writing them to a FDS disk first?

How expensive would it be to make a bunch of FDS to toaster NES adapters? All that is needed is a Famicom to NES adapter that uses a ribbon cable or really long PCB so that the RAM adapter has enough room to be plugged in, right? I'd figure there would be interest in having an all-in-one Famicom, NES, and FDS copier.

BTW, does the Japanese Famicom community know about this upcoming release of the CopyNES? It would be a good thing to get them dumping more carts.

kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:26 am

I wouldn't call a CopyNES with extension card an all in one copier exactly, remember CopyNES can't playback bankswitching games.

I don't think there is a FC dumping community really, at least not anymore since all games have been dumped. Anyways, most of the Japanese involved have had Paso devices (which can already backup FDS games and have support for Japanese "mappers") for years. It'll likely be up to westerners to redump FC games in order to verify integrity.

Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:40 pm

I don't think there is a FC dumping community really, at least not anymore since all games have been dumped. Anyways, most of the Japanese involved have had Paso devices (which can already backup FDS games and have support for Japanese "mappers") for years.
But were they dumped properly, to use the right hardware? Some have been hacked to use a more common board. Others use a board subtly different from the major board. I have heard of a FC game or two that fail to work at all because of a bad dump or an improper mapper assignment.

kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:18 pm

Very few games were hacked, I think most if not all of them have found their way out of GoodNES too (or at least are now recognized as being hacks.) It seems to me though that most of the dump are really good dumps, just not verified as being so. That doesn't mean however though that games aren't assigned a wrong mapper. Lots of games are improperly handled because nobody remembers which titles use what hardware internally and many could be passed off as others, especially the single latch FC ones. It doesn't help that nobody documents FC boards, "if the only known game to use the mapper just uses the first 2 bits of a latch, who cares what the other bits do?" seems to be the sentiment.

ChimyFolkButter

Post by ChimyFolkButter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:46 pm

rbudrick wrote:
1. Is it possible to make the CopyNES write FDS images to FDS disks, if you attach a Famicom Disk System to the NES?

I actually made a really cool translation of Copy Tool 1 for you folks.. Just waiting for Memblers to post it.

-Rob
Memblers, can you post this doc? I have some dying FDS disks to dump before they go bad!

-CFB

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:30 pm

How expensive would it be to make a bunch of FDS to toaster NES adapters?
Well, about the cost of two 60-72 pin adapters and one 72-60. Put them together and make a case for them, and you'd be good to go. However, a production model of one would be rather inexpensive, I would imagine, if made in bulk. I would almost think making the cases would be more expensive than the boards, if you didn't use the ribbon cable technique and just used a straight board.

-Rob

kyuusaku

Post by kyuusaku » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:02 am

It's not easy however to buy the 60pin edge.
ChimyFolkButter wrote:Memblers, can you post this doc? I have some dying FDS disks to dump before they go bad!

-CFB
You don't need Copy Tool to dump disks ;)

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:05 am

You don't need Copy Tool to dump disks ;)
Yeah, it doesn't really help you dump them, so much as copy them. Also, copying fds disks is much like copying a cassette tape...though the data on the tape is digital, it is recorded in a very analog fashion...so successive copies of copies lose quality. In other words, don't ever copy copies of copies of copies of disks ("great-grand children" copies of original "parent" disks are about as far as you can go, you might say).

So, if you want to re-write your originals, dump them first to get exact copies, then re-write back to the disk.

There is an interesting thread over on tototek right now concerning FDS backup methods:

https://tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=548

-Rob

Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Yeah, I've been wanting to upload those FDS doc scans but it's so huge altogether (100MB+). There's nowhere I can put that much except sharing it myself on emule, and I'll do that if anyone will actually get it. The .doc version is 6MB, which isn't too bad, I still feel like I should ask koitsu first before putting anything that's really large on his server though.

I was meaning to look at finding a way to reduce the filesize (it's black and white, for 12 pages or so that just seems too huge). But I haven't had the time to mess with it, so much stuff going on over here.

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:42 pm

yousendit.com anyone?

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:48 pm

The .doc version is pretty small (6MB), since I turned the pages into black and whites (they were monochrome green to begin with, so no big deal) and turned the pages into jpgs instead of fully text-selectable pdfs (the other versions I sent Memblers).

I tried looking for other ways to get them smaller, but I just really hated to lose quality...because anything else I did had major quality loss!

If just the 6MB one went up, beware you won't be able to select any text like in the PDF (the .doc version just has 1 jpg of each page of the original per page of the doc). But the best version of the pdf is about 56MB due to the high quality scans and the buttloads of textboxes.

I even sent Memblers a new Japanese version (I retyped the whole thing over the original...took ages). No more photocopied impossible to read pages! I guess if Tomy's original scans of photocopies were taken down, that would free up 2 MB or so, making the 6MB version only take up an extra 4.

Anyone wanna pony up some permanent bandwidth to Memblers so he can host all the docs? :D

Sorry these pdfs are so large, folks. I think you'll be extremely pleased with the quality of them. I should have the source docs for Copy Tool 2 soon, but really, Copy Tool 1 is much more updated..there's not much point in Copy Tool 2 other than to see the technical "renovation" that went on for the revised Copy Tool 1 (yeah, basically, the docs were dubbed backwards on nesdev, but no one knew until now).

-Rob

ChimyFolkButter

Post by ChimyFolkButter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:55 pm

kyuusaku wrote: You don't need Copy Tool to dump disks ;)
I want to get the circuit to bypass the evil twin chips so I can write my disks.

I tried FDSLOADR for reading the disks but I couldn't test it correctly by writing the dump to disk.

-CFB

ChimyFolkButter

Post by ChimyFolkButter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:59 pm

rbudrick wrote:
Sorry these pdfs are so large, folks. I think you'll be extremely pleased with the quality of them. I should have the source docs for Copy Tool 2 soon, but really, Copy Tool 1 is much more updated..there's not much point in Copy Tool 2 other than to see the technical "renovation" that went on for the revised Copy Tool 1 (yeah, basically, the docs were dubbed backwards on nesdev, but no one knew until now).

-Rob
Yea, I wanted to read the detail text and figure out the schematic of the doc so I can build this bad boy. Just posting the text will be good. I can see what the parts are and what the reasoning etc .

Thanks,

-CFB

DarthCloud

Post by DarthCloud » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:24 pm

Would be cool to have the full pdf on ed2k or bittorrent for some day util some people have it complete.