CopyNES Will Be Available Again Soon!

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Sonic 3D blast was actually a Famicom pirate original? Wow...that's news to me.

That reminds me...I heard there were two versions of Wai Xing Zahn Shi, the Phantasy Star IV pirate original. Kev, was it you that dumped the newer version of the rom I heard about? And does anyone know what the differences were? I've gotta find that game one of these days...I've never seen anyone sell a copy.

Kev, what was wrong with your Panda Prince...the broken one? Obviously not repairable, I take it....cracked glop?

-Rob

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:35 pm

Update: CopyNES PCB's arrived today!! I am waiting on 1 more part before I will take orders... the special 40 pin header thingers that attach the CopyNES board to the NES-CPU board. This new style header lets you unplug the copyNES board for testing and such.

It won't be too much longer now. The NES "emulator" I wrote for CopyNES was fully debugged and then I added some PPU emulation so that it should be able to (slowly) run some games. As stated before, this is for debugging stubborn ROMs and things like that, and obviously not for playing games :-)
/* this is a comment */

dXtr

Post by dXtr » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:08 pm

nice. :D
can't wait to get my hands on one of them ^^
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^

Jagasian

Post by Jagasian » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:35 pm

kevtris wrote: The NES "emulator" I wrote for CopyNES was fully debugged and then I added some PPU emulation so that it should be able to (slowly) run some games.
I think that the "emulation" feature should be called "NES on NES emulation", as it brings to mind "girl on girl action". Little things like that might help marketing ;)

More seriously, is audio also emulated? It might be somewhat useful for people playing around with the NES's sound or at least something fun to play with, though the slow speed would cause distortion, and therefore audio emulation should be optional. Also, have run your NES emulator on your NES emulator on your NES? Is there enough memory for that? It would be a good stress test for the NES on NES emulator.

NES on NES emulation might be another application for the NES overclocking mod. Just how much can the NES be overclocked when using active cooling?

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:26 pm

Jagasian wrote:
kevtris wrote: The NES "emulator" I wrote for CopyNES was fully debugged and then I added some PPU emulation so that it should be able to (slowly) run some games.
I think that the "emulation" feature should be called "NES on NES emulation", as it brings to mind "girl on girl action". Little things like that might help marketing ;)

More seriously, is audio also emulated? It might be somewhat useful for people playing around with the NES's sound or at least something fun to play with, though the slow speed would cause distortion, and therefore audio emulation should be optional. Also, have run your NES emulator on your NES emulator on your NES? Is there enough memory for that? It would be a good stress test for the NES on NES emulator.

NES on NES emulation might be another application for the NES overclocking mod. Just how much can the NES be overclocked when using active cooling?
The audio works like normal, as do controllers and mappers and other things- the "emulator" just reads and writes to memory like usual so if sound regs happen to be there, they get written to. same with mapper regs and what not.

Theoretically, the emulator SHOULD be able to run itself, since it will move the stack around to compensate but it may hit itself due to the way the relocation works.

The entire emulator takes up 18 or so bytes of RAM at the top of stack to run.
/* this is a comment */

dotdUmmy

And NSF and RAM pak?

Post by dotdUmmy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:01 am

This is all very exciting. Will you be also offering the nsf cart and/or a RAM cart to go with? Or is swapping out the ROM with a RAM chip as easy as you make it sound on your site? I'm fairly handy with electronics.... but lazy....

rbudrick

Post by rbudrick » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:06 pm

I think that the "emulation" feature should be called "NES on NES emulation", as it brings to mind "girl on girl action". Little things like that might help marketing
Shit, I'll buy two. Oh, wait NESS was a male kid in earthbound. Jag, you sick bastard. :lol:

NSF carts....Kev, I'd be very interested in buying one too...

-Rob

drk421

Post by drk421 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:18 pm

Kevtris,

Why do you have to put 470 ohm resistors in series with the data lines in some cartridge adapters to stop sprite corruption?

For instance in my homemade NES/Famicom adapter.

http://www.54.org/condev/FC_NES_Conv/FC ... %20004.jpg

Thanks

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:52 pm

drk421 wrote:Kevtris,

Why do you have to put 470 ohm resistors in series with the data lines in some cartridge adapters to stop sprite corruption?

For instance in my homemade NES/Famicom adapter.

http://www.54.org/condev/FC_NES_Conv/FC ... %20004.jpg

Thanks
I"m not 100% sure why, it seems to have something to do with the speed of the ROM device... you usually see this when using an EPROM emulator. I don't know if the ROM is too FAST or if it's too slow... in any event, the resistor-adaptor is a very good thing to have when dealing with prototyping and hard-core copyNES use. Some carts will actually crash copyNES (very rare.. very very rare) but if they do I have that adaptor. The main culprit was those Sachen games. Never had a problem with just regular old NES carts or most fami's except N106 which can cause problems since it has a register in the same space as copyNES' port chip... this is the only known conflict, however.
/* this is a comment */

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:15 am

Update: I have the NES on NES emulator (hehe good term for it) going for the most part, but it's kinda buggy and I can't seem to find the bugs in the PPU emulation. I've posted the code for anyone who wants to look at it and possibly see if they can find a problem or two, but it may be kinda difficult to figure out without a real CopyNES or something :-/

Other than that, things are going good and I've been polishing the host software and such, and adding more features to it. That connector SHOULD be here this week or next, and then I will start accepting orders.

In the mean time, I have been writing a "CopyNES how to" guide on assembling the PCB, installing it in the console, etc. so when the part comes everything is ready.

Here's the code if anyone wants to poke around.

http://tripoint.org/kevtris/mappers/inc ... scopyn.zip

Note that I use some of those undocumented opcodes here and there to speed things up, and because they are so darned useful :-) Wherever they are used though is indicated in the code, since I had to enter them manually as a .db followed by a .dw. Unfortunately, the code is pretty hard-core. I've gone over the PPU operations with a fine-toothed comb and can't find anything amiss.

Btw if someone wanted to try running this on an emulator, they could do it by putting RAM at 4800-480f and commenting out the "use port chip" code and uncommenting the "use RAM" code (clearly marked). I was using the port chip registers that were free as extra RAM bytes to save space. "emul8" runs 1 instruction. Note that the actual 6502 emulation part works just fine, and it's only the PPU emulation that is somewhat buggy at the moment.
/* this is a comment */

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:31 pm

kevtris wrote:Note that I use some of those undocumented opcodes here and there to speed things up, and because they are so darned useful :-) Wherever they are used though is indicated in the code, since I had to enter them manually as a .db followed by a .dw.
Tried making macros for those instructions?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:15 pm

I'm very excited about the CopyNes!

A couple of questions though:

1. I assume it will let me dump carts for at least most known mappers. Will it have any trouble with different boards in these mappers? I have a skeprom board that I'd like to dump without trying to desolder and use a eprom reader. Could people who have dumped using a copynes tell us how it's worked for them?

2. Is the software still dos? Has anyone had any luck with it in dosbox? Should I be looking for a 98 system right now?

3. Do you think there are enough going around that I may be able to get 2? I'd love to get a complete one and also try building one from a kit.

Thanks!

kevtris

Post by kevtris » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'm very excited about the CopyNes!

A couple of questions though:

1. I assume it will let me dump carts for at least most known mappers. Will it have any trouble with different boards in these mappers? I have a skeprom board that I'd like to dump without trying to desolder and use a eprom reader. Could people who have dumped using a copynes tell us how it's worked for them?
Yes, it works with SKEPROM boards and should work with all other proto boards. Just dump it as a plain ol' MMC1 and it should be OK.

2. Is the software still dos? Has anyone had any luck with it in dosbox? Should I be looking for a 98 system right now?

3. Do you think there are enough going around that I may be able to get 2? I'd love to get a complete one and also try building one from a kit.

Thanks!
Yeah the software is still DOS, unfortunately... not much I can do about this. It needs W98 or earlier to run because it uses direct port access. It *might* work with a driver on XP that allows direct port access, but I've never tried this so I don't know if it would work or not.

Yah there's enough to go around hopefully.
/* this is a comment */

tepples

Post by tepples » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:39 pm

kevtris wrote:Yeah the software is still DOS, unfortunately... not much I can do about this. It needs W98 or earlier to run because it uses direct port access. It *might* work with a driver on XP that allows direct port access, but I've never tried this so I don't know if it would work or not.
There is "UserPort" which many people from the early GBA scene (Flash Advance Writer and MBV2 cable) swore by.

drk421

Post by drk421 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:20 pm

Yeah, it "might" work under XP with userport.
Depends on how critical the timing is.