Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

neshiggins

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by neshiggins » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:22 am

qbradq is spot on, if these "experts" can do better, let them, so far they're contributing nothing of any constructive use (very unlike INL), so their opinions are effectively worthless, despite any technical validity, which hasn't been conclusively proved anyway.

IMO, "strengthening" any arguments is unnecessary and just fanning the flames/leading to the addition of wholly undeserved stress/drama to INL's life. I'd suggest a seperate thread (which INL should probably just ignore unless anyone has anything actually useful to say :)) and/or lock this one.

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:34 am

Meanwhile, back at the point, I've been trying to get the INL Retro software working on Debian Linux AMD-64 and am running into some issues. The Mono runtime throws a type loading error when loading LibUsbDotNet. The stack trace is completely useless, as all module and file references are empty (just says <Module> or FileName: "").

I downloaded what I thought was the latest version of LibUsbDotNet (2.2.8) from here and executed the Test_Info.exe program with the Mono runtime. It detected the Kazzo board just fine and displayed all of the information. So I copied the LibUsbDotNet.dll file from that package back over to the INL Retro directory and ran the software again. This time I got the another TypeLoadError exception, but with no stack trace.

One thing I did notice was that the LibUsbDotNet.dll I downloaded was dated a year earlier than the one you provided, and was about 100k larger.

I know you don't officially support Linux, but could you help me out a bit on this? Could you let me know what version of the library you referenced and where you downloaded it from? Any chance you'd be willing to release the source code, or let me look at it under an NDA?

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 am

M'kay, so what I've figured out is you're using LibUsbDotNet version 1.0.1. That explains some of the confusion I was having. I've traced the actual problem to not having the Visual C++ 10 redist DLLs in the app directory. The error message Mono was throwing was unhelpful, and I had to use an strace log to figure that out :)

When I go home for lunch I'll see how far I get after adding those DLLs.

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Let me know how it goes. I'm more than willing to share the source code for the firmware and software. With everything still under development I haven't taken the time to clean things up and make them available. Make sure if you're using my host software that you're also using my firmware. The original kazzo firmware isn't compatible with my host app, and vice versa.

Check out my readme.txt for more details and history of where everything came from. That might help your efforts getting things up and running in linux.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:05 pm

INL,

I'd really appreciate the source code. That might get me up and running with your software.

I have attempted to use the original Kazzo firmware with the original software, but it keeps saying that m_database is not found. I might dig deeper into that, dunno.

I am using your firmware when attempting to run your software. Right now I can't even get the GUI up

Your software runs fine under Wine, just Wine doesn't play well with LibUSB (as in not at all). I'm trying to get it to run under 32-bit Mono at the moment with the Wine core libraries, but I keep getting stack traces with no source to compare them to and it's very hard to get anywhere like this :)

I've still got a ways to go before I want to start doing regular builds to hardware, but I just can't wait to see this thing work :)

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:18 pm

*Grumble Grumble*

So Anago 0.62 has... issues. So I took a fork of Anago 0.60 (the last command-line version) and ported it to Linux. I was even able to dump my first cart with it tonight! My MMC1 SMB / Duck Hunt / Track and Field bonded chip cart.

I threw out all the legacy parallel port stuff, restructured the build to make it a little less of a headache to navigate and updated the documentation. It should still compile on Windows but I can't test it at the moment (if I had a Windows box to use this would be a moot point).

I've yet to write up the notes on how to configure udev to grant the right permissions to the USB device though. If anyone needs to use this thing on Linux and needs help, reply to the thread and I'll write them up. Until I hear back I'm assuming I'm the only one that actually uses this stuff :)

Attached is a compiled x86_64 binary with sources. You'll need to compile from source if you're on another architecture. Compilation instructions and dependency documentation included.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend using this for flashing carts (with any hardware). The Anago software in general seems to have... issues.
Attachments
anago.zip
(213.16 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 am

INL was kind enough to share his work-in-progress sources with me. Due to Managed C++ being quite lame it's not portable to Linux, but I was able to create a command-line utility that takes an iNES file and writes it to an INL-ROM board.

So, if anyone needs this in the future, here it is. And if anyone wants to port it to Mac or Windows, it should be fairly straight-forward (it's ANSI-C).

In order to use the device on a udev-based Linux system (which is just about every Debian system I've seen), you'll need to add a rule for udev, then reload the rules.

Code: Select all

sudo echo ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05dc", GROUP="plugdev" >> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
Following this, unplug your programmer (if it was already plugged in) and plug it back in.
Attachments
inlprog.tar.gz
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

Cfox7

Post by Cfox7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:04 pm

I was just about to post something on here asking if it was possible to get anago working on linux so this is fantastic :) I'll give this a shot and let you know how well it works for me.

naruko

Post by naruko » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm

私は長い間このスレッドを見ていませんでしたが、 kazzo がいつの間にか進化していることに驚いています。

anago のソースコード、 0.62 に問題があることは Linux での command line support を打ち切ったからと解釈しているようですが、その通りではありません。 GUI 化は Windows, Linux ともに行いました。Windows では1つの実行ファイルで GUI と command line をサポートすると、都合が悪かったので別の実行ファイルを作るように compile option を追加しました。
Linux では1つの実行ファイルで両方をサポートできると思ったのでこのような形にしています。Linux でも Windows に似せた compile option を使えば、 commandl ine only の実行ファイルは作れると思っています。

私は通常は Windows XP を使用し、 Linux は当時の開発の時だけに使っていたのでサポートは不十分かもしれません。

最近私のPCを WIndows XP から WIndows 7 に変更したため、対応作業をする予定です。(Vista, 7 でインストールに困っている人の意見を何度か見たことがある) Linux だけにしろ 64bit support はとてもよいことですので、対応作業に合わせてソースをマージするかもしれません。

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:15 am

naruko wrote:I was not looking at this thread a long time, but I am surprised that kazzo has evolved imperceptibly.

It seems to interpret that there is a problem of source code anago, to 0.62 and broke off from the command line support on Linux, but it is not as that. Made both Windows, Linux GUI is mosquitoes. When you support the command line and GUI on a single executable file In Windows, added compile option to make the executable file another convenience about the poor.
It has something like this because I thought that it can support both in a single executable file on Linux. It is hoped that if I use the compile option that are similar to a Windows even Linux, you can make a run file of commandl ine only.

Support may be insufficient to using Windows XP normally, since I use only when the development of Linux at the time I am.

Due to a change in WIndows 7 WIndows XP from my PC recently, we plan to support the work. 64bit support because it is a very good white (have seen several times the opinions of people who are in trouble to install Vista, 7) the only Linux, you might want to merge the source to match the response efforts.
Note: Above is from Google Translate into English

I had a number of problems compiling Anago 0.62 for Linux with GCC 4.7.2. The Anago 0.60 sources required less effort for me to get working, so I went with that. I understand that Anango 0.62 is intended to support both platforms. I think the language barrier may be getting in our way though.

naruko

Post by naruko » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:19 am

私の主語が抜けていてソースのマージをqbradqさん(you)に指示する翻訳になっていました...
私は指示をする意図はなく、ソースコードの対応は私がやるつもりで書きました。ごめんなさい。(日本語は主語を省きやすい言語です)

当時私が使っていた gcc のバージョンは3.4.5 でした。 バージョン 4 以降から -Wall がさらに厳しくなったことは記憶しております。
3年前の対応なので私の記憶が曖昧ですが、 nescartdb 配布の xml ファイルを参照することにしたことが原因かな? コマンドラインを使うにしろ wxWidgets の xml pharser が必須になったかもしれません。個人的にデータベース参照は重要と思ってはいないのですが、ユーザーの方の要望や展示時に合わせて急いで私が実装しました。ですから、コマンドライン専用版はそこらへんがまずいかも。

パラレルポートサポートは私も不要と感じていたので削除する予定でした。

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:23 am

Yea, I wasn't terribly interested in providing community support for Anago. The port was just a quick job to make sure the hardware was working. I shared it in case anyone else could get use from it. My main interest is using INL's board for flashing his custom flash carts for development and production.

Thank you for your kind responses.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 pm

infiniteneslives wrote:Well they've past the point of trying to provide constructive criticism
Given new evidence, I withdraw my objections to your design, citing Matthew 7:3.

In any case, I have a really old Kazzo from years ago, and I wonder how I'd go about converting it to the new firmware. There are people asking me to add support for some famiclone controllers to a game I made, and the PowerPak I have doesn't support famiclones. Is it as easy as plugging it in and uploading the new firmware?

infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 pm

tepples wrote:Is it as easy as plugging it in and uploading the new firmware?
Yeah it should be pretty straight forward, I haven't changed much with it in regards to the bootloader. The only thing I did start doing was change the fuses so the bootloader can't overwrite itself any more. So just make sure you don't write the original kazzo firmware to it which hasn't been clipped. If you only use the .hex files in the firmware folder of the .zip download from my site you'll be safe. If you run into issues let me know and I can send a new avr with the bootloader locked.

See the readme for explict instructions, they should apply to all kazzos I've ever made, athough the SNES stuff obviously doesn't apply to my first few batches which lacked SNES connectors and that cap. ;)
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers

Cfox7

Post by Cfox7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

I was curious on what progress has been made on that new firmware update for the kazzo. The one that would automatically detect common mappers. I saw it being mentioned back in Sept. But haven't seen anything since then...