It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 35  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm 

arantius wrote:
I hope to use it to power a custom-made nintendo: a small form factor PC inside a real NES case, that takes real NES carts and controllers. But puts out better video.

By power you mean emulate the NES on the atmega164??? I'd be interested to see how good you can get this. If you haven't checked out the UZEbox project already I would. It's open source and uses the Atmega644. You could actually swap the atmega164 in the kazzo out for a 644 and run the UZEbox on the kazzo if you played around a bit with the pinouts and everything. A good starting point if you're just getting going.

Quote:
It seems to be *really* picky about the cartridges. I had to clean again games that even the original NES hardware seemed able to read, and generally got a lot of "maybe cartridge connection error" and "error: data is all 0xff".

That's too bad, I don't really have much issue with mine. It might be worthwhile trying to clean out the connector.

Quote:
I managed to put together a few simple scripts so far for nrom, unrom, and gnrom which all seemed to be missing from the anago download.

good work, I've been meaning to put the gnrom together for a bit.

Quote:
I don't think I have any more esoteric carts in my collection. The rest are almost all mmc1 or mmc3. But I might have some small tweaks for those as well. (Like, the default mmc3 script seems to always do 256k PRG. It seems to work anyway, but some carts are smaller than that.)

I think it checks for 256KB by default but doesn't include the double up if it realizes it's a smaller ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:16 am 

infiniteneslives wrote:
By power you mean emulate the NES on the atmega164???

Oh, no. Just let the PC know which cart has been inserted. Poor wording =)

infiniteneslives wrote:
I think it checks for 256KB by default but doesn't include the double up if it realizes it's a smaller ROM.

Not in my experience. The one try I did, it ran but the file was 128k too big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 pm 

FARID wrote:
Ok I got my homemade Kazzo up and running :

Is there any new driver for Kazzo? My driver is 2005 :

the lasted driver is 2012 (1.2.6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:28 am 

Does anyone know about command how to transfering .sav file to original nes cartridge by kazzo ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:48 am 

I've never played around with the gui "anago wx" much but it looks like it might not be to hard there for the boards that are supported already atleast.

There is a workram tab and you can select a few MMC1/MMC3 boards and upload your .sav file and click write.

If your board isn't listed though you'd have to write a script to support that board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:11 pm 

Are there any plans to have another round of kits produced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

Not currently. I've been making additional runs by request though. The only issues is the place I get the PCBs from requires multiples of 3. I might consider a different supplier though. That and I would kind of like to have more than one person interested if I were to go through the effort again. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Otherwise I'm willing to share the PCB files (think I did in a previous post) so you could order the PCBs yourself as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:12 am 

Easy wrote:
Does anyone know about command how to transfering .sav file to original nes cartridge by kazzo ?

use the write command~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm 

Had some questions about the drivers. these files have always been able to get me set straight. Most of what you need is in the bin folder.

If you plug the device in and run inf wizard at one point you should see the device listed. Just select it and finish creating the inf file. Then from the device manager when installing device you can navigate to your newly created inf file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 am 

Just don't be a derp like me & have the switch on BL when trying to create/install the driver :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm 

Hello there,

I have been encouraged to publicly announce my intention to purchase a Kazzo to drum up enough interest to meet the minimum order requirement.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm 

Jim VanDeventer wrote:
Hello there,

I have been encouraged to publicly announce my intention to purchase a Kazzo to drum up enough interest to meet the minimum order requirement.

Thanks,
Jim

Well be glad you spoke up, I'm coincidentally planning to submit another board order this evening. ;) I'm probably going to order a small batch of 10. I hadn't really planned on publically selling them, but since you've asked so nicely I will. Anyone interested in reserving one, feel free to contact me via email: Paul@InfiniteNesLives.com

On a side note I am planning to add SNES support, although I admit it'll be far from perfect. The connectors are NOT ideal for original NES carts due to the narrow pins. It's targeted more towards new SNES pcbs where the pins are 'normal NES' width for a separate project I'm working on.

One other spoiler, I'm also finally getting around to working on my own release of kazzo hardware compliant firmware and host PC software to alleviate some of the issues with the current kazzo firmware & software and add more custom flash cart capabilities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 am 

Quote:
One other spoiler, I'm also finally getting around to working on my own release of kazzo hardware compliant firmware and host PC software to alleviate some of the issues with the current kazzo firmware & software and add more custom flash cart capabilities.

Will this make it simpler at all to create dumping scripts or are you gonna have some new ones with this as well?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am 

OldNESJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Will this make it simpler at all to create dumping scripts or are you gonna have some new ones with this as well?

Which mappers did you have problems with? I had some problems with MMC3 awhile back and revised the dumping script and seemed to correct the issues I had. I think I shared it in a different thread, but I should probably post it here as well: mmc3_full.ad

Not sure yet exactly how I'm going to manage the scripts and mappers with my own software/firmware. The easiest way to do it is just build them into the firmware. Then I could auto detect the mapper or allow the user to override the mapper via the host software. The U.S. licensed library of games should be pretty easy to fully encompass. It would be nice to have script support for my new firmware and software, but I'm kinda lazy and don't see the need to write a script parser and everything. Plus I think I can optimize and speed up the process which can't be done well with dumping scripts. The best alternative to a script I can offer is easy mapper templates that could be added into the includes when building the firmware. Might even be better for some since it would be entirely in C and I'll include some mapper specific helper functions. Then if one desired to write their own 'script' it'd actually just be a file included in the firmware build that one could fairly easily do themselves with the provided bootloader.

I will point out one 'flaw/bug' that I've noticed with the cuurent kazzo firmware/software/driver as a disclaimer. I've yet to hear anyone else report this issue and for awhile I assumed it was just my PC. But I have a problem where communications will drop mid-dump at random times. If I try enough I can usuallly get a dump to complete, but we're talking <5% success rate depending on the ROM size. I've seen this with two of my PC's now and every single Kazzo I've assembled (a dozen or so). All of those kazzo's work fine on my laptop. It's possible that it's a windows7 vs windowsXP problem, but I've heard reports from a few people that it works fine on windows7.

From what I can tell, it's a software/firmware issue (possilbly PC hardware), and not a kazzo hardware issue. Although I'm curious if trying some different values of USB D- pull up resistors might affect the results. I've seen similar bugs related to that resistor. But in using my own software and firmware this whole problem is non-existent. This is one of my main motives for writing my own software/firmware. I cannot stand behind and easily provide support for the software/firmware that's released by the original author as I have a hard time understanding and even re-compiling the firmware/software. There were several more techincal bugs I found related to flash carts that I was unable to resolve myself which basically forced me to write my own.

TL;DR Use the original software/firmware at your own risk. I can't provide technical support for it. However the software/firmware I write, I will provide technical support for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 am 

Will this new firmware be compatible with the old run of the Kazzo? If so, sounds great!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 35  Next