It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 pm 

OldNESJunkie wrote:
Will this new firmware be compatible with the old run of the Kazzo? If so, sounds great!!!

Answer depends slightly on which 'old' kazzo you're talking about and what you'd like to do with my firmware/software. If you're asking for dumping purposes only, the answer is yes. Every kazzo I've ever made/distributed is 'universally' compatible with original firmware/software and vice versa. Likewise, my software/firmware will be compatible with every kazzo I've ever made and even ones made to the official hardware design with the exception of flashing carts.

To answer the simple question: "Will my new firmware & software be compatible for dumping games using the official kazzo v1.0 OR the kazzo's I original made and distributed here." The answer is yes. ;)

Where it gets confusing is if you're looking to use my firmware/software to program a flash cart. My firmware/software will assume that there is a connection to EXP0 for mapper write disabling. Additionally, if you'd like to do anything with the SNES capabilities I'm adding you'll need one of my newer boards currently in production.

My 'revision' to the kazzo's hardware was to add access to the EXP bus on NES carts. I only made use of un-used pins on the official kazzo design to do this. So my version, including the ones I originally made and distributed here had these changes. But in doing this my version of the kazzo is/was still fully compatible with the original firmware/software.

The main reason I added the EXP port access was for development and flash carts, specifically for disabling mapper writes to support writing to PRG-ROM. The official firmware/software isn't capable of interfacing with the EXP port like I designed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm 

So I just received my Kazzo a couple days ago (Thanks infiniteneslives!). So far so good dumping my NES collection. However, I am running into a few problem games, which sounds the same as what I'm reading in this thread. I'm wondering if anyone has found any workarounds or better scripts? The games I've noticed so far are:

Super Mario Bros 3 (MMC3)
The Legend of Zelda (MMC1)
and Dr. Mario (MMC1)

I've tried both "versions" of each corresponding mapper script included with the tool without success. I also tried the mmc3_full script infiniteneslives uploaded against Mario 3, but it actually just errors out and doesn't start :(.

Since these are *very* common games, I'm sure someone else has run into the same issue. Any suggestions?

So far I've only tried 17/102 games in my collection, so I'm sure there's more to be added to the above list :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm 

Zelda and SMB3 worked for me and I used the command line version. Can't check now, but will later unless someone else figures it out in the meantime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am 

So I've never had much luck with the gui version personally. I've only really ever used the commandline. Others have had better luck than me though. I did notice that the format of the scripts varies between the commandline and gui version as well. It's a slight difference in the defining variable names IIRC. I've tried to fix the issues with the firmware and software that I've encountered, but I haven't been successful.

My solution is to rewrite it all myself, I've got mapper detection working for most common mappers to where a scripts wouldn't be necessary. After I get a few fires put out I'll start implementing the actual dumping feature hopefully in ~month.

What is the problem that you're running into? Does it dump, but the rom won't play? Or is it failing during the dump? I'd give the commandline version a try (named anago).

brief instructions:
open command prompt
cd to the anago directory
dump with the following command: anago d mmc3.ad romname.nes
(The anago is the executable, d is for dumping, then give script name and output file name.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:26 pm 

Thanks guys. The command line version did the trick for Mario 3 and Zelda. No change on Dr. Mario, however. I'm not too bent out of shape for Dr. Mario, as I can always play the SNES version of that :).

To clarify what was happening before: the game would dump, but the resulting dump was unplayable. I would clean and re-try the dump and get a binary-identical dump to the previous attempt. I have also run into problems during the dump, but usually a re-try will fix that (assuming the cart is already clean).

I will be trying more games this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:40 pm 

Yeah Dr. Mario is SEROM IIRC, the provided scripts don't work for SEROM since it's setup with max 32KB hardwired PRG ROM. If you took the PRG side of the NROM script and CHR side of the MMC1 script you should be able to create a SEROM script.

The alternative would be to rip the rom twice once using NROM for prg and once with MMC1 for CHR and then patch the roms together.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:46 pm 

Sorry about not testing it quicker, but good to see you got it working.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:08 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
Yeah Dr. Mario is SEROM IIRC, the provided scripts don't work for SEROM since it's setup with max 32KB hardwired PRG ROM.

Perhaps the cleanest way to make SEROM work in a future version of the script is to always drive the MMC1 in 32K mode.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 am 

infiniteneslives wrote:
Yeah Dr. Mario is SEROM IIRC, the provided scripts don't work for SEROM since it's setup with max 32KB hardwired PRG ROM. If you took the PRG side of the NROM script and CHR side of the MMC1 script you should be able to create a SEROM script.

Thank you sir. That's exactly what I did, and it worked flawlessly for Dr. Mario, Tetris and the Adventures of Lolo. I've uploaded my script to: http://zerker.ca/misc/serom.ad

I ran into some strange problems with Kid Icarus. The MMC1 script detected the correct size and the lack of CHR rom, but it still came out garbled. Not entirely sure what happened there.

I've also run into some garbled graphics on Twinbee. The "list" I have says it's CNROM, but I suspect this isn't quite right. I'm having a hard time finding a clear answer as to what Twinbee uses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am 

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Kazzo and have been having trouble dumping the majority of my collection. Out of the the six or so games I have tried I have only been able to dump "Gauntlet". I'm running Windows 7 and i'm using the command line tool like so many here have suggested. However I keep getting ROMs that wont run at all or have graphical glitches. I've tried Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 & 3 which both have the same mapper as Gauntlet according to the list (http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt) I have, yet wont dump correctly.

I was wondering if the new firmware update infiniteneslives was talking about would fix this but whenever I update the firmware and run anago.exe it gives the error:

Could not find USB device "kazzo" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

I'm assuming this is because the firmware update changes the device name from "kazzo" to "INL Retro-Prog" so it cannot find it. I also tried running the other tool "unagi" and changed unagi.cfg to the following:

Code:
#使用するハードのコメントを外してください
#DRIVER INL Retro-Prog
#DRIVER hongkongfc
#DRIVER onajimi
#hongkong fc の flash の書き込みができない場合はコメントを外して
#試してみてください
#HONGKONG_FLASH 0.5.3

thinking that I just needed to change the device name from kazzo but now I recieve this error when running unagi:

config error: hardware not selected or not found

Because of this I don't know how to run the command line program with the new firmware. Any ideas?

tl/dr: I can't dump very many ROMs and was looking for ideas of what to do differently

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am 

tepples wrote:
Perhaps the cleanest way to make SEROM work in a future version of the script is to always drive the MMC1 in 32K mode.
Yes, that would be the better solution. But it's a little complex to make that modification if you don't have an indepth knowledge of the MMC1. So that's why I suggested hacking the scripts.

Zerker wrote:
Thank you sir. That's exactly what I did, and it worked flawlessly for Dr. Mario, Tetris and the Adventures of Lolo. I've uploaded my script to: http://zerker.ca/misc/serom.ad[/quote] Good work! thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I ran into some strange problems with Kid Icarus. The MMC1 script detected the correct size and the lack of CHR rom, but it still came out garbled. Not entirely sure what happened there.

I've also run into some garbled graphics on Twinbee. The "list" I have says it's CNROM, but I suspect this isn't quite right. I'm having a hard time finding a clear answer as to what Twinbee uses.
First off, bootgod's database is your mapper list bible, not those downloaded lists.

Kid Icarus is SNROM which is MMC1 with CHR-RAM. What ever is causing it to detect CHR-ROM is wrong. Make sure the script is set to detect CHR-RAM. You could probably create a script for SNROM specifically that didn't dump CHR, similar to how the UNROM script only dumps PRG. You could also just modify the header of the dumped rom to set the CHR size byte to zero and that'll probably fix it. Any extraneous CHR data could be cut out of the end of the rom too for cleanliness sake. All that said, I've yet to have issues dumping SNROM games with the commandline version with the standard MMC1 script.

According to bootgod Twinbee is mapper 87 which isn't CNROM. So your suspicions are correct. Looking at Disch's doc on the wiki; http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_087

Looks like that mapper is basically identical to CNROM, EXCEPT the CHR bank select registers are at $6000-7FFF. CNROM places the register at $8000-FFFF. So you should be able to modify the CNROM script slightly to create your own mapper 87 script. Just change the $8000 writes to $6000 and I think that'll fix you up.

EDIT: Err, it's a little more mixed up as the bits are backwards...
Code:
Registers:
 --------------------------

$6000-7FFF:  [.... ..LH]
     H = High CHR Bit
     L = Low CHR Bit

This reg selects 8k CHR @ $0000.  Note the reversed bit orders.  Most games using this mapper only have 16k
 CHR, so the 'H' bit is usually unused.
But it's only 16KB for most so that might make it a little easier. Basically CNROM counts up (0,1,2,3). But this mapper counts like this: 0,2,1,3. But you could cheat since you've only got 16KB (two banks). Instead of incrementing by one, try incrementing by two. Automatic size detection should resolve the rest, note that my suggestion won't work for 32KB CHR-ROM games.

Cfox7, If you can provide more details on the issues you're having I can probably help. Sounds like you might not be using the correct scripts. But not knowing which script your using for a specific title I can't really help.

As for the issues with not being recognized, sounds like you're trying to use my firmware (INL Retro-Prog) with the anago/unagi software. You can't do that. basically my firmware is only compatible with my software. The kazzo firmware is only compatible with the anago/unagi softwares. Once my firmware and software is complete enough to dump games, it will hopefully resolve some of the issues you're having. My firmware will try to autodetect the mapper and everything for you, so as long as its on the supported list, then you guys won't have to worry about selecting/creating the correct script and everything. Can't say when I'll be at that point, but progress is currently being made. I'm hoping to release something that supports common mappers within a month hopefully.

Last edited by infiniteneslives on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
Looks like that mapper is basically identical to CNROM, EXCEPT the CHR bank select registers are at $6000-7FFF. CNROM places the register at $8000-FFFF. So you should be able to modify the CNROM script slightly to create your own mapper 87 script. Just change the $8000 writes to $6000 and I think that'll fix you up.

That'd work for mapper 101. But mapper 87 swaps bank bits 1 and 0. In any case, dumping the cart as if it were 101 and storing it with 101 will still produce a working ROM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 pm 

tepples wrote:
infiniteneslives wrote:

That'd work for mapper 101. But mapper 87 swaps bank bits 1 and 0. In any case, dumping the cart as if it were 101 and storing it with 101 will still produce a working ROM.

yeah I just caught that myself too, made an edit to my post accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
tepples wrote:

Cfox7, If you can provide more details on the issues you're having I can probably help. Sounds like you might not be using the correct scripts. But not knowing which script your using for a specific title I can't really help.

As for the issues with not being recognized, sounds like you're trying to use my firmware (INL Retro-Prog) with the anago/unagi software. You can't do that. basically my firmware is only compatible with my software. The kazzo firmware is only compatible with the anago/unagi softwares. Once my firmware and software is complete enough to dump games, it will hopefully resolve some of the issues you're having. My firmware will try to autodetect the mapper and everything for you, so as long as its on the supported list, then you guys won't have to worry about selecting/creating the correct script and everything. Can't say when I'll be at that point, but progress is currently being made. I'm hoping to release something that supports common mappers within a month hopefully.

This pretty much answers all of my questions. Didn't realize your firmware didn't work with the anago/unagi software. Looking forward to when dumping games becomes that easy. Good luck :)

As for more details...

I dumped Gauntlet using the mmc3.ad script using the anago command line software and it works great everytime I dump it. When I dump Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles 2 & 3 with the mmc3.ad script (which is what the list said the mapper was) it never runs in an emulator. Heres the exact script:

Code:
board <- {
   mappernum = 4,
   cpu_romsize = 2 * mega, cpu_banksize = 0x2000,
   ppu_romsize = 2 * mega, ppu_banksize = 0x0400,
   ppu_ramfind = true, vram_mirrorfind = false
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize)
{
   for(local i = 0; i < pagesize - 2; i += 2){
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 6);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 7);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i | 1);
      cpu_read(d, 0x8000, banksize * 2);
   }
   cpu_read(d, 0xc000, banksize * 2);
}
function ppu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize)
{
   for(local i = 0; i < pagesize; i+=4){
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 2);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 3);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i | 1);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 4);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i | 2);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8000, 5);
      cpu_write(d, 0x8001, i | 3);
      ppu_read(d, 0x1000, banksize * 4);
   }
}

it's the same script that came with the kazzo.zip file so it should be working?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm 

Quote:
I dumped Gauntlet using the mmc3.ad script using the anago command line software and it works great everytime I dump it. When I dump Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles 2 & 3 with the mmc3.ad script (which is what the list said the mapper was) it never runs in an emulator.

I just recently got infiniteneslives' Kazzo too. Here are my experiences so far. I see a lot of suggestions to use the command line version, but I've dumped about 80 games so far, and I haven't run into any yet that I couldn't dump in the GUI Anago. (If I could dump it at all, I would get the same crc in both gui & command line, using 64bit Windows 7) I recommend using bootgod's database as already mentioned. It will show you what the crc code should be, because it's possible to get a bad connection and dump a game with fuzzy graphics (if a connection isn't perfect, like when you need to blow on a cart on real NES). If something like that happens, the rom would still work in an emulator, but you might not know it's a perfect dump unless you compare a known good dump's crc32.

I haven't dumped tmnt 2 or 3 yet, but I'll try those soon & let you know if I have the same issue as you. Also, a few times, I've gotten a good dump on PRG, but not CHR, and just had to re-seat the cartridge a couple times to get a good dump. Make sure they're clean, etc. etc. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next