It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:25 pm 

So, I noticed that the Lugio's awesome work was released for a somewhat reasonable sum for play on a real NES system. I know Lugio is getting no royalties, but neither are the original coders/hackers, sorry. The cart came today, but it wouldn't play, resetting the system multiple times finally gets the game to start up, but I've got a black screen about six times now at different times during gameplay. What I'm wondering is if the Blinking Light wins to causing the issue along with the cart's muti-region CIC bootleg chip. Now the instructions that came with it said to press reset a bunch of times to make it work, so I'm guessing there is a bootleg CIC somewhere on the PCB, but I'm not seeing one. All I see is pins that could be a CIC (based on hole count - 16), but there's just a resistor between pin 1 and 16.

Has anyone messed with these yet, or know how to look into this? I'm about to reinstall the old original NES 72pin and tray and possibly further test by disabling the CIC chip within the NES.

I'm also trying to verify if my Blinking Light Wins has the embedded CIC chip region-free dodad or was the original model that didn't have it.

I'm game for any knowledge, I can upload pics as well of the board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:29 pm 

If it is ever the CIC's fault, it will always go into a reboot loop, with the red LED blinking in time with the display.

If the screen just goes black / game crashes, it's not the CIC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm 

Yea, it doesn't look to be the CIC or the adapter, as I tried the following:

-Old 72pin connector, so no BLW connector
-New adapter inside cart.

I get the same results. There are a lot of poor solder joints, so I'm expecting some of this issue to be from that. I'm asking for a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:35 am 

I'd say post pics of the board, front and back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 am 

My assumption is incompatibility with original system. You will need to connect CHR ROM /CE to Cart #17 CHR RAM /RD in most cases with those bootlegs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:22 pm 

A new board came in last week. It had a different PCB layout completely too. This one works without any issues. I'm wondering how I can save the other one. The bad part was that they sent me just the adapter and pcb, so when I tried putting it in the same case it came in, the center circular spiral for the screws were blocking the pcb from laying completely flush. I had to de-solder the metal battery holder and solder in a battery pack for it.