How to fix a NES mainboard without 10NES lockout chip ?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: How to fix a NES mainboard without 10NES lockout chip ?

Post by lidnariq »

I even mentioned that earlier in the thread: viewtopic.php?p=98828#p98828

I can't test this, and I'm not certain which games care, but try adding a large resistor (100k, give or take?) from CIC socket pin 6 to CIC socket pin 10.

If it doesn't work, we'll need a more complicated circuit to make sure that any unlicensed games that use a CIC stunner won't blow everything up.
jims cool

Post by jims cool »

so did nintendo break that on the top loader? that would be a cool mod/fix for top loaders.. i don't own that cart (or maybe i do) not a big sports fan.. :lol:

should be able to recycle the diode and other parts to protect the inverter chip on my circuit.. they are used to protect the input of the CIC by shorting out the -5v spikes normally found in rare third party and pirate carts :)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

As far as I know (and Nestopia's source loosely corroborates), only mappers 37 (SMB/Tetris/NWC) and 47 (SSVBall/NWC) use CIC RESET to reset a multicart. And the former, being Europe-only, I think wasn't even in a place with toploaders (No toploader was released in PAL regions, right?) Adding whatever simple circuit for this seems awkward for just one game (unless, of course, it's your console :))
Last edited by lidnariq on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That and the other (far less common) game with NWC as the initials.
jims cool

Post by jims cool »

does the pirate version retrousb sells work the same way? or is that unaffected?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Given that he says it works on toploaders, "asian systems", and only doesn't work on the famicom for the lack of a 2nd player start, I bet it doesn't.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yeah, the NWC repro derives reset some other way, probably the same way as the PowerPak.
NESler

Post by NESler »

So, just added an 100k resistor between Pin6&10, now my Pal B SMB+Tetris+NWS works !

Thanks ;)
Last edited by NESler on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
satchsatch33

Post by satchsatch33 »

NESler wrote:So, just added an 100k resistor between Pin6&9, now my Pal B SMB+Tetris+NWS works !

Thanks ;)
Hi,

Can you show a photo to describe it ?

Thx
jims cool

Post by jims cool »

tepples wrote:Yeah, the NWC repro derives reset some other way, probably the same way as the PowerPak.
how did brian get permission to repro nintendo games? :? or do you think nintendo is sitting on their hands until he ends up like the "super joy guy" who got five years in federal prison.. i'm not worried about the JCIC project because of the terms to download it.. i was thinking of releasing VS. cart with a ribbon cable so the ROMs could plugin on-top of the nes.. like a converter :)
Last edited by jims cool on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

NESler, you mean 6 and 10, right? Otherwise I'm confused what's going on.
edit: he changed his post
Last edited by lidnariq on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jims cool

Post by jims cool »

wow :lol: right 10 is the reset line for the carts mapper/cic
good thing it's a 100k!.. that would connect two outputs together.. post edited above to remove quote!.. ;)
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

jims cool wrote:how did brian get permission to repro nintendo games? :? or do you think nintendo is sitting on their hands until he ends up like the "super joy guy" who got five years in federal prison..
I think it's a safe bet to guess he doesn't have permission to repro anything besides the homebrews... My guess is Nintendo doesn't think he's worth the money required to go after him, either that or they are somehow unaware of his titles. Interesting story about the super joy, I guess it shows that Nintendo really does still care enough to take action. But it sounds like the super joy itself was the big fish worth frying, not that guy alone.

Edit: it might also be worth noting that Nintendo's financials have been on a downward trend since 2008 and they're bleeding pretty bad right now. So I think it's safe to say they have bigger matters of concern than His NWC carts. They don't put much of a dent on their 100's of millions of dollars in annual losses currently. It may be a different story if Nintendo rebounds with the Wii U though and they're looking spend money in attempt to teach anti-pirating lessons...
Last edited by infiniteneslives on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

infiniteneslives wrote:
jims cool wrote:how did brian get permission to repro nintendo games? :? or do you think nintendo is sitting on their hands until he ends up like the "super joy guy" who got five years in federal prison..
I think it's a safe bet to guess he doesn't have permission to repro anything besides the homebrews... My guess is Nintendo doesn't think he's worth the money required to go after him, either that or they are somehow unaware of his titles. Interesting story about the super joy, I guess it shows that Nintendo really does still care enough to take action. But it sounds like the super joy itself was the big fish worth frying, not that guy alone.
Or the other option: With what he does he has information of how the hardware works, bug fixes, etc. that Nintendo could find useful.

ETA: Nintendo is not turning a profit? Says who? They don't hold a candle to any other system ATM in terms of profit from who I see buying games today, but still...losing money? Hmmm...
Last edited by 3gengames on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jims cool

Post by jims cool »

ya own two of them.. well one.. took the connecter off one to build a CopyFamES!.. it's a NES with a Famicom slot and CopyNES.. they are kinda junky but famiclones can be fun.. mario music sounds like junk :lol:

EDIT: don't know what to make of it.. i wouldnt take that risk.. fixed a typo also lol..